Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Condenser Vs Vented Dryer

Options
  • 07-09-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

We're buying a new dryer and considering switching from our old vented to a condenser.

Our current machine was a bog standard budget vented one that we have for 10 years and it owes us nothing. To be honest, I don't know how it's still going...!!! We have an outlet for the vent but it is a bit awkward and the condenser would be a lot neater.

We have a very busy house with 5 kids playing sport/school uniforms etc so we'd probably do an average of 2 washing machine loads a day. Clothes would normally be dried on clothes horses etc and only finished in the dryer for 15-30 minutes.

My biggest fear with the condenser dryer is that it won't dry stuff as fast as the vented one and that those few hours that you get at the weekend when you want to power through a load of washing, you're left waiting for ages for every load.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience of a condenser dryer for a family, especially if you had been using a traditional vented one previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

have you access to gas?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

your better with vented

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

have you access to gas?

No. No gas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traditional condensers are awful. In every way. Avoid entirely.

Heat pump condensers are fine but slower (and a lot dearer to buy, but a lot cheaper to run). I have mine with the drain hose in use so don't need to empty the drain tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daqu1234

I have a condenser and it is fine and very convenient, just empty the water drawer after every four loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I'm in agreement with above, I'd only go condenser if you gave to and have no option to vent. Vented are more energy inefficient but do dry clothes better, faster. Heat pump condensers are fine, but expensive and slower.

Advertisement