Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capital Gains Tax - Corporate Spin Off

• 17-09-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all

Recently a company I own enganged in a corporate spin off where I recieved a preference share in a newly formed company. I'm not quite sure how this is dealt with for capital gains tax purposes would love to hear your thoughts?

Here's the details:

Prior to the spin off - I owned 53 shares of Qurate Retail Group Inc which I purchased for $9.45. Just before the spin off the shares traded at $10.94 (at close)

Immedietly after the spin off the shares fell to a price of $6.16 (at close). I still retained 53 shares but I also got 1 preference share in the newly formed company for nill consideration. The face value of the preference share recieved was $100.

Details of the spin off can be found at the Qurate website in the investor relations section. Boards will not allow me to post a link as I'm a new user.

Would appreciate any input. In addition, I understand this thread is strictly for discussion and educational purposes only. I will not take any replies as tax advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

looks to me that the only thing that has happened is that you have acquired a pref share at nil cost, valued at 100.
    Are the prefs listed?

You still have the 53 bought at 9, now trading at 6, so a paper non crystallised loss

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SamByrne95

Yeah pref shares are listed.

I thought it would of been a similar tax treatment as that of bonus shares where they form part of the original holding for FIFO purposes but considering the shares are of a different company and class I doubt it. I know there's been special considerations revenue have posted in relation to Fyffes spin off but not quite clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

SamByrne95 wrote: »
    Yeah pref shares are listed.

I thought it would of been a similar tax treatment as that of bonus shares where they form part of the original holding for FIFO purposes but considering the shares are of a different company and class I doubt it. I know there's been special considerations revenue have posted in relation to Fyffes spin off but not quite clear
    I don't know, maybe the prefs reduce the base cost of the 53

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement