Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 :Round 9 Tuscany GP : Mugello (See MOD warning on 2nd post)

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The best thing about the whole weekend. Brought a genuine tear to my eye seeing and hearing this.

I was/am a Schumacher nut, and this car really defined his impact on Ferrari. What a bloody noise though...I just love how the sound resets after each camera angle, that SCREEEEEEEAM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Gintonious wrote: »

The best thing about the whole weekend. Brought a genuine tear to my eye seeing and hearing this.

I was/am a Schumacher nut, and this car really defined his impact on Ferrari. What a bloody noise though...I just love how the sound resets after each camera angle, that SCREEEEEEEAM!

Everything about that video is awesome. And for those millennials on here... this is what a race car is supposed to sound like.

Having watched it a few more times, I find it upsets me more than pleases me...I miss that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

HighLine wrote: »
    Everything about that video is awesome. And for those millennials on here... this is what a race car is supposed to sound like.

Millennials were born in the early 80's. It's a term for people who reached adulthood around the turn of the millennium.

Gen Z and Alpha are who you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perhaps, but even a 2020 Ferrari would beat it in a drag race.
    I think the Hybrid cars own all the track records for every circuit, old or new, that they've raced on. Just last week in Monza the fastest ever average speed lap in Formula One was achieved.
    Mind you, the car was on Pirellis rather than era appropriate grooved Bridgestones so maybe it had more fight in it.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I think the Hybrid cars own all the track records for every circuit, old or new, that they've raced on. Just last week in Monza the fastest ever average speed lap in Formula One was achieved.
    Mind you, the car was on Pirellis rather than era appropriate grooved Bridgestones so maybe it had more fight in it.

I do not care how fast the cars are, I just want close racing that is exciting and entertaining...with THAT noise. We have the fastest crop of cars right now and probably least interesting racing going on.

They have too much grip, that does nothing for racing, it only helps lap times. Reduce the grip, keep the power (we won't get any reasonable noise from the current PU regs), that should spice things up. We just have to wait and see if 2022 does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

At the time the cars were the absolute state of the art, the pinnacle of what could be achieved in a pure pursuit of speed. The FIA needed to introduce things like grooves tyres to slow them down as they were potentially getting too fast to be driven by humans otherwise.

The current formula on the other hand was introduced as a marketing exercise and appeasement of certain car manufacturers throwing their weight around. When it came in it was an utter embarrassment, with the all conquering Mercedes being slower than a ten year old Minardi for example. In answer to that they needed to introduce much wider tyres and far higher downforce limits, to finally get the sport back up to a speed where it isn’t completely embarrassing itself, and is finally achieving the sort of lap times you’d expect for the amount of money invested.

Even so, it must be noted that the average race lap is still not very fast now compared to the past, as so much more management of the power unit needs to occur so cars are rarely travelling at their full potential. They also have the advantage of low fuel runs on single use tyres in qualifying to get the best headline time they can, which flatters them - previously teams needed to save some of that qualifying tyre performance for the race, and in 2004 they also needed to have the race fuel on board, plus they were only allowed one lap to try and get the best time they could.

So getting to see Mick drive that car like that is a real privilege. Stunning piece of machinery, so much sound and fury, and emotional too given what his dad achieved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, I think it would be more likely to beat it over one lap.
    It has similar HP numbers but weighs a lot less (the f2004)

Where the 2020 car is faster is in the corners. Look at the cornering speed and the speed cars can carry these days, coupled with the power delivery from the turbo hybrid vs NA V10/V8 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Millennials are generation Y. I'm a millennial and I started watching F1 in 1995, I certainly know what a V10 sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Millennials are generation Y. I'm a millennial and I started watching F1 in 1995, I certainly know what a V10 sounds like.

Been to many a live GP, tbh I find on TV V10 or Hybrid makes feck all difference, just my 2c, live at a race the difference is massive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement