Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did i get into college?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 6:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I got 5 distinctions but my certificate says merit. Did i get into my course or not? It was journalism in DCU.

I got a distinction in Legal Pratice and Procedures, Media Analysis, Political Studies, Research Skills for Journalism, and Technical Skills for Journalism

Did i need a distinction in certain modules or overall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

I got 5 distinctions but my certificate says merit. Did i get into my course or not? It was journalism in DCU.

I got a distinction in Legal Pratice and Procedures, Media Analysis, Political Studies, Research Skills for Journalism, and Technical Skills for Journalism

Check the entry requirements for your desired college course..see if it matches your results transcript.
    Also you must at least pass 8 modules to get a full level 5 award.
    Full FETAC Award with all distinctions equal 400 points (The same way full marks in the L.C. is 600 points.) A distinction is worth 50 points, a Pass is worth 20 points and a merit is worth 30 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

You need 8 modules to get the full award.
    Have a look at the QQI website and check your qualification requirements for the level 5 award. Some modules will be mandatory so you might have 8 modules completed and passed but if they don't include all of the mandatory modules, you wont get the award.
    As for the course in DCU no one here can tell you if you got a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

You need distinctions in certain modules, if you input the course code on the CAO website it will tell you what modules.

They add up your total scores then divide it to give the grade for the major award, so if you got 83*5 + 65*3 = 610/8 = 76 (figures shown as an example). That's why you have a certificate saying merit.

Even if you meet the criteria there is no guarantee you will be offered a place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can someone tell me what a component certificate is? I see that I actually do meet the minimum requirements for DIT but it says it must be a full certificate and not a component one? What does that mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Component means it is part of a full certificate.
    5 or 6 modules instead of the full 8 (or whatever the full number of modules is).

Take Childcare for example:
    To achieve a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education through Early Childhood Ireland a learner must complete eight components which include:

Child Development (5N1764)
    Early Childhood Education & Play (5N1773)
    Child Health & Well Being (5N1765)
    Early Care & Education Practice (5N1770)
    Communications (5N0690)
    Work Practice (5N1433
    Children with Additional Needs (5N2396)
    Equality and Diversity (5N1775)

From https://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/work/education-training/childcare-courses/

So, someone could have distinctions in all these modules
    but because they are component certificates, not the full certificate, they could not work as a childcare assistant.

To make up the shortfall, they would have to find a way of completing the missing components. On the plus side, they would not have to re-do the components they already have.

ETB Further Ed. colleges are more likely to offer the full certificates (and at a cheaper cost), compared to private providers.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    5 or 6 modules instead of the full 8 (or whatever the full number of modules is).

To achieve a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education through Early Childhood Ireland a learner must complete eight components which include:

Communications (5N0690)
    Work Practice (5N1433

From https://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/work/education-training/childcare-courses/

but because they are component certificates, not the full certificate, they could not work as a childcare assistant.

To make up the shortfall, they would have to find a way of completing the missing components. On the plus side, they would not have to re-do the components they already have.

ETB Further Ed. colleges are more likely to offer the full certificates (and at a cheaper cost), compared to private providers.

Still a bit confused, here are my results.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2zPt0ql

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you fill all the requirements here?
    https://qsearch.qqi.ie/WebPart/AwardDetails?awardCode=5M2464

spurious wrote: »

Communications (5N0690)
    Work Practice (5N1433

Are you saying that I need an overall distinction? I got an overall grade of merit and did get the award but got distinctions in 5 modules.

My second choice, Communication Studies in DCU shows that I only need a distinction in 5 modules.

Ring DCU and ask them. I am just showing you the rules according to QQI.

I would have thought the QQI route into any course is very competitive so would require distinctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    You need distinctions in certain modules, if you input the course code on the CAO website it will tell you what modules.

They add up your total scores then divide it to give the grade for the major award, so if you got 83*5 + 65*3 = 610/8 = 76 (figures shown as an example). That's why you have a certificate saying merit.

Even if you meet the criteria there is no guarantee you will be offered a place.
    I'm not sure of the course code you're thinking of, but heres the link for DC132 - which shows which modules you need distinctions in, for that particular course.

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=fetac_search2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

You have your full Award, having passed 8 modules. Now you just need to see if you have enough distinction grades that are set down by your desired third level college course. How many distinctions did they require?

I am me123 wrote: »
    You have your full Award, having passed 8 modules. Now you just need to see if you have enough distinction grades that are set down by your desired third level college course. How many distinctions did they require?

5. I got the 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shannon1111112

You need to research the general requirements for plc applicants in the last few years. I would recommend searching dcu fetac statistics where you’ll find a clear graph with the amount of places allocated for fetac students along with the QQI points necessary. Secondly, you need to remember that other applicants may have applied with six, seven or eight distinctions who will be given places first. Lastly, ensure your course is linked with journalism if not you’re going to be competing with leaving certificates.

Advertisement