Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery Bits and Pieces- the chat side of archery.

• 15-10-2014 3:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread for the discussion of all those tit-bits that may not need a separate thread: places where equipment is on sale, what limbs you find best, funny anecdotes, short reports on shoots attended or up-coming shoots, rule queries or looking for advice, quick questions and even just general archery chit-chat.

All the things you'd talk about waiting for the scores to be added up and medals awarded.

And don't be afraid to post a picture or five.

Ok, let loose!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Picked up the bow for the first time in a few weeks. First arrow went over the top of the butt, next landed in the 10 of the target face next to mine. I dropped the third arrow.
    At that point I put down the bow and decided that the social side of the club was what I really needed to be doing so I headed off to chat to people. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yes, a lot of clubs seem to be very results-orientated. At least from the outside. But a lot of people enjoy the social aspect as much, or more. Even on field shoots there's a lot of people there to meet up with friends and have an enjoyable day away from work and home. I know one lady who photographs flowers and frogs as much as the archery stuff.:)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

It's a bit dead in here. I must learn how to post pictures. My Dropbox account is full of archery pics.
    I've taken delivery of a couple of sets of shafts. POC. Spined and weight matched. I spent a couple of hours last night and the previous one working on them. I have 6 of them with the nocks glued on a first coat of stain.
    I'll tip away at them in the coming nights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A few pictures of the sequence of making wooden arrows would be great. I'm aware there's a lot to it. I enquired once from a Norwegian champion about using wood arrows, for cheapness, during my 'Getting to know the SBG' round days..... he said to stay away.....

A lot of work to get them ready, spine and weight matched to small tolerances, straightened, varnished, fletched.... named, loved...broken... ;)

All to get them to be as good as cheap carbons. Now, remember, he wasn't the Norwegian champion for no reason. His longbow scores would embarrass a barebow archer.

As regards, pictures in general, I noticed last night that some pictures I'd embedded were gone. Must have removed from their original location. Just something to remember in uploading. I replaced them with images I uploaded to a hosting site rather than rely on facebook. Must remember to continue to do so.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I've literally hundreds of pictures of the wooden arrow making process from when I'm doing mine. I tend to be quite anal when it comes to arrow making and every arrow I make is always within 9grain (gn) of the rest. 1grain = 0.06 grams! :D

• Advertisement

If you ever have too much time on your hands, give feather splicing a go...

10153204_10201807571419867_343513768_n_zps04a4da90.jpg

Quick and easy varnishing...

1240085_10200548592906191_1924871703_n_zpsd46eb143.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Pictures of the process of making arrows might not make great viewing. I've plenty of them here but It's hard to tell the difference between some of the stages:).

In the preparation stage I'd sand my shafts till they're all the one weight. All within a grain. It's easy enough at this stage to be precise. It's less easy staining or varnishing.
    I know it's way over the top but it's sorta therapeutic of an evening.

Pictures of the process of making arrows might not make great viewing. I've plenty of them here but It's hard to tell the difference between some of the stages:).

In the preparation stage I'd sand my shafts till they're all the one weight. All within a grain. It's easy enough at this stage to be precise. It's less easy staining or varnishing.
    I know it's way over the top but it's sorta therapeutic of an evening.

I'd be the same. I aim for a maximum of 9gn difference fully finished, but it's more often than not a lot less.

I've changed up my own process now, switching to a light teak stain and an oil based poly finish. The dry time is a lot longer, but so worth it in the long run. I've also just invested in a new cresting jig so really looking forward to getting stuck into that.

You know it's gotten to winter when you've to change your quivers belt to accommodate the extra clothing bulk.

Any one else use their shadow to check their form?

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Hi all, anyone shooting a kap winstar 2 based bow? Any feedback would be useful as I'm looking a picking one up 2nd hand. I don't know anything about them, apart from being a beginner/intermediate bow? The price is right for what's on offer. Anyone any opinions on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

greysides wrote: »
    You know it's gotten to winter when you've to change your quivers belt to accommodate the extra clothing bulk.

In my case, at this time of year, I can't really blame the clothing bulk...

didds wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone shooting a kap winstar 2 based bow? Any feedback would be useful as I'm looking a picking one up 2nd hand. I don't know anything about them, apart from being a beginner/intermediate bow? The price is right for what's on offer. Anyone any opinions on them?

I haven't shot one but they're generally regarded as perfectly ok. Haven't heard anything bad about them. You get what you pay for so they won't have all the features of the expensive ones but they should do the job.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Kris Kringle shoot in the club last night, 'twas fun.
    Got home only to hear my missus tell me that I brought home one of the parcels that we had brought to the shoot.
    Doh!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Adam Grant

New club for Irish instinctive archers.....http://cbie.club/

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

didds wrote: »

I've had one since I was 14 and I have no complaints about the bow. Does the job just fine. A friend of apparently shot around 500-550 out of 600 a few years back in the Nationals with it :)

Wicklow Archers were unfortunate with the wind at their River Range yesterday. The first leg of the All-Ireland Target series was to take place there but the wind created havoc with the butts and it had to be cancelled. A lot of work and travelling expenses wasted. I was shooting in the wind today, doing close work, holding and expanding. Even in the lee of the house it was moving me about. Useful experience though. At a competition in Wales a few years ago I shot with a long bow archer. Along the side of the hill the wind was blowing onto his feathered arrows were flying virtually side-ways, even though we were a short distance inside the trees. Amusing to watch. At least the heavy piles kept them going straight.

Adam Grant

Wicklow Archers hosted the Irish Open Field Championships today and yesterday at Enniskerry, Co Wicklow. The first day was miserable, weather-wise. Constant rain from the get-go. 21mm of rain fell in the Dublin area that day. Some unprepared or, at least, archers whose attire wasn't as good as previously thought, had to retire during the course of the day. The remainder struggled through in clothes that were, at the very least, damp inside by the end. All kit was wet, even stuff in quivers, and would have to be dried out before the second day. Wet tabs are hard to put on and slip on the string. As do hands in bow grips. Paper and biro score recording becomes incredibly difficult. Muddy conditions make walking on slopes an adventurous behaviour so approaching down hill targets needs some care as the nocks are ready to impale you.

HRE5WBcl.jpg

A sunny start to the second day improved attitudes and moods although the rain had only just cleared and the ground was still sodden. The competition was largely finished by the time the forecast afternoon showers appeared. Everybody had enjoyed themselves and the club had done everything possible to ensure safe passage. We'll all be weary tomorrow. Thank God it's a bank holiday!
    The competition was attended by several who would be more regularly seen at IFAF events. Some of the technical differences might catch them out (and that would be sorted with experience) but a good archer still shines through and there were several good visitors.

WA field courses tend to be more extreme than IFAF courses in terms of terrain; although IFAF distances would be longer. Both codes have their own elements of difficulty.
    There was a nice number of younger archers present, shooting all types of equipment and it's good to see them.

Fuller report on day one here, and on day two here.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SmilerORocker

Can recognise 2 people in that pic even at that angle :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Hi guys. I'm just wondering where the best place to sell Archery equipment is in Ireland nowadays?
    Im selling my PSE Brute Force compound bow, arrows, case, and a few other accesories but I dont know where to sell them. Would it be adverts or is there an archery specific site that I'm unaware of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Try the Archery Ireland Buy and Sell facebook page.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

greysides wrote: »
    Try the Archery Ireland Buy and Sell facebook page.

Thanks for that. Yeah I've heard about that page before around my old club, but Im not on facebook.

Advertisement