Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aphex Twin

• 20-01-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Richard D James is one of my favourite albums at this stage so I'm wondering which albums I should be getting next. I have Come to Daddy and I Care because you do. I'd imagine that a lot of his stuff could be pretty difficult to penetrate so I'll leave them until later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Hangable Auto Bulb is a nice collection of two early EPs, very cool and easy to listen to by his standards.

Windowlicker is the perfect companion to Come to Daddy, the other "commericial" release :)

drukqs is his masterpiece, a mixture of difficult, beautiful and fun music. I cannot recommend it enough.

Chosen Lords is more of his old school style dance type stuff, I wasn't a huge fan of it but might be up your alley.

Selected Ambient Works II is the classic Aphex Twin album, dreamy and hypnotic.

Ventolin is an EP and it is quite harsh but I love it.

The Analogue Bubblebath EPs are well cool too, done under the name AFX rather than Aphex Twin.

According to my database I own the Girl/Boy EP too but I can't remember what it sounds like or if it's any good. Anything else out there I don't have or haven't heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

The Richard D James album is my favourite, first track is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

If you like Richard D James album, you should without doubt try to get Melodies from Mars first. It was recorded in the same era, very similar tracks, and it was never released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodies_From_Mars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The albums you have are all from roughly the same era, when he was big into digital production. Drukqs would be the next in line chronologically, it is a bit heavy going but is an amazing album.

Earlier and later albums have an analogue feel. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is an absolute necessity, it is a groundbreaking masterpiece of electronic music by anyone's standards and its very easy to listen to. If you buy one more Aphex Twin album ever, buy this one ;)

Ambient Selections Vol II is great too but its definitely far more ambient/experimental so you might leave it til later.

Analord/Chosen Lords is his most recent release, lots of classic acid/303/808 sounds basically, I like it although its not as remarkable as his older stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Selected Ambient Works is great - much more melodic than the more recent stuff though. Some people I know who are into the later stuff don't think much of Selected Ambient Works and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I think Selected Ambient Works is my favourite....could be though because I have it since it came out all those years ago and have fond memories of that time.

I love Chosen Lords, has an old sound to it and would remind me more so of the early 90's.

I also really like Analogue Bubblebath 3 -

http://www.discogs.com/release/28763

For some reason Selected Ambient Works II hasn't quite clicked for me yet :confused: Only have a it a while and not listened much so maybe need to give more time. Think I'll give it a go again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I'd recommend "Surfing on Sine Waves" by Polygon Window (one of Richard D. James many aliases).

If you like the less abrasive Aphex stuff, you might like the "Donkey Rhubarb" and "On" singles.

"26 Mixes for Cash" is also surprisingly good.

You can preview any of his releases on the Warp label.
    1. Go to the Albums or Singles sections and click on the pale yellow tabs.
    2. Click the word AUDIO next to the one of the track names and a player window will open and start playing.

Oh and if you haven't seen it already, check out the Monkey Drummer video on YouTube! The track is Mt. Saint Michel Mix+St. Michaels Mount from "Drukqs".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

cornbb wrote: »

Earlier and later albums have an analogue feel. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is an absolute necessity, it is a groundbreaking masterpiece of electronic music by anyone's standards and its very easy to listen to. If you buy one more Aphex Twin album ever, buy this one ;)

Guy in Plugd told me that he simply cannot come across a copy of this. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Weird. Thought it would be one of the more available Aphex Twin albums.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    For some reason Selected Ambient Works II hasn't quite clicked for me yet :confused: Only have a it a while and not listened much so maybe need to give more time. Think I'll give it a go again tonight.

This has now clicked. :)

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Guy in Plugd told me that he simply cannot come across a copy of this. :(

Have you tried the dance music section in HMV or Tower Records?
    The basement level in HMV on Grafton Street can be good sometimes.

You can preview the tracks on Amazon.co.uk

Dudess wrote: »

I would have thought so too. Well worth getting your paws on OP!

Awesome! I love when that happens :)

My fave track from SAW II: Shiny Metal Rods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭welcomeinjam

Dudess wrote: »

Nah I can't find it anywhere either everywhere seems to have selected ambient works volume 2 although I'm not a big fan of it I like it when it's used in films and shows like this sketch http://youtube.com/watch?v=7u4GS2gHQV4 but I find it can't of boring on it's own.

Yeah, Zavvi comfirmed, it's out of print. You're in Cork aren't you Dudess? :P

Freaky! I didn't know it was so rare. Only one copy on ebay, bidding is at €10 with 6 days to go :/

Also a couple of copies available from Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Hi
    Yeah I looked for a long time to get Ambient works 1 but with no luck
    eventually got an mp3 version on allofmp3, I wnet this route due to it's
    scarceness, vol 2 is easy enough to get.
    Btw, saw on the warp site earlier that The Black Dog album Spanners is deleted also but Bleep sell it on high quality mp3 officially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I remember the first time I bought Selected Ambient Works II, it wasn't long before I returned it to the shop. It went completely over my head. I now consider it a modern masterpiece. The very last track, Match Sticks, is astonishing.
    Classics and Selected Ambient Works '85 - '92 were my first Aphex Twin purchases after hearing Classics in Forbidden Planet in Dawson Street many years ago. They have lost none of their impact in the intervening years.
    Along with the obvious Come To Daddy and Windowlicker e.p.'s I also mostly listen to Caustic Window and the Analogue Bubblebath series.
    On a related note, can any of ye tell me, am I missing much by only buying Aphex Twin on compact disc. I currently have in excess of thirty titles on c.d. but often wonder if there are any really special releases I am missing out on by avoiding vinyl.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Virgin or Zavvi or whatever its called in Cork, they had SAW 85-92 there a few summers ago 7.99 it was.. sweet! SAW II is amazing, above words

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

I'm a massive fan of Aphex Twins dj sets.... probably more so than his studio work. He mixes so roughly and drops so many styles in but with the same singular driving momentum. His few live sets are amazing too............. he should defo go down the "autchre" or "squarepusher" route more.....pure live sets from studio material with tons of improv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah I went to buy SAW 85-92 on CD a few months ago (had the MP3s for ages), but I was surprised how it's not available any more.

It was never released on Warp.

I bought the 2006 remastered vinyl instead: http://www.discogs.com/release/795898

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote: »
    Yeah I went to buy SAW 85-92 on CD a few months ago (had the MP3s for ages), but I was surprised how it's not available any more.

It was never released on Warp.

I bought the 2006 remastered vinyl instead: http://www.discogs.com/release/795898

I've never heard the album on vinyl but I'd love to, seems like it would be the ideal way to listen to it.

cool, must get that too on vinyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 was released on R&S records.

as my name suggests, Aphex Twin has been a massive influence on my musical taste since 1992.

I rate the LPs

1 Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves
    2 Selected Ambient Works 85-92
    3 I Care Because You Do
    4 Selected Ambient Works II
    5 Richard D. James Album
    6 Drukqs

Classics and the Caustic Window triple LP are also recommended.

of the singles favourites are

Analogue Bubblebath 3.1
    Digeridoo
    Donkey Rhubarb EP [amazing]
    On
    Girl / Boy EP
    Ventolin
    Analord - all volumes but 3, 4 and 10 especially

also check out Wap 100 which has Hardy, Freeman and Willis Acid - truly great tune

His new guise, The Tuss, isn't bad. An album and an EP released last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I still haven't heard The Tuss (and I didn't know there was an EP as well as an album). Worth checking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

John wrote: »
    I still haven't heard The Tuss (and I didn't know there was an EP as well as an album). Worth checking out?

it's called Confederation Trough. Three tracks. Picked it up cheap on CD, according to discogs the 12" has a different track 3 to the one on the CD so the completist in me will probably pick that up at some stage. Can anyone verify?

it's fairly good but none of the tracks compare to the opener on Rushup Edge, Synthacon 9.

Just spotted this on Play.com.
    R&S Records have remastered Aphex Twin's - Selected Ambient Works 85-92.
    Due for release on 8th April. :cool:

Owenw wrote: »
    Just spotted this on Play.com.
    R&S Records have remastered Aphex Twin's - Selected Ambient Works 85-92.
    Due for release on 8th April. :cool:

Excellent, I have a copy of this since I think 1994 and it is really showing it's age plus fussy about what CD player it is played in! Will definitely buy it again now when its out. Maybe frame my original copy :D Come to think of it not a bad idea, I have seen frames for CD's and what better one to preserve and hang on the wall than that!

http://www.framemyrecord.com/default.asp?pg=cdframes.asp

Think I saw them in Urban Outfitters or somewhere like that.

So like... Ventolin.. I can't stop listening to it but I can't decide whether I actually like it. That high pitch whine through the whole song is by far one of the most obnoxious noises I've ever heard but I think part of me thinks it's cool... The fact that it makes me feel so damn uncomfortable.

I don't think I like Ventolin really. I had it on in the car recently and had to skip it... it may have been that it was about 6am and maybe not the right time of day for that type of assault on the ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conorpacman

I really had a huge phase of AFX. I bought anything with his name or face on it. I also got every single Analord on vinyl. But the last two years a saw a massive drop in my interest. I think it was probably he wasn't prolific enough. Drukqs is probably my favorite album. But it doesn't have the long term liking effect. I can't stand most of the tracks on it anymore. I think the only album that really stuck was the double Selected Ambient Works album. That is an amazing album.

Finally got his hair cut too.

about time.

(looks like Ewan Mcgregor

Advertisement