Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Photos from the Mars Landing

mars-rover-curiosity-color-photo-gale-crater.jpg?1344349184

mars-rover-landing-03.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

Mars_rover_parachute_610x406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KT1.jpg

KT2a.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

For the day that's in it

6a00e551962103883301157125737a970c-pi

6a00e5519621038833011571257393970c-800wi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

2012-08-25T213518Z_1_CBRE87O1NYX00_RTROPTP_2_USA-NEILARMSTRONG.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZx2ImcVGm-lcFeH7T7SHGtcEkP0tODjUHqfIOkSkcttUPLVMJ&t=1

Apollo-11-Buzz-Aldrin-001.jpg

Three ordinary guys doing something extraordinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eoin wrote: »
    For the day that's in it

Apparently 2 pictures of Buzz Aldrin there.

Surprisingly there are not many pictures of Neil Armstrong on the moon. Linky

120826Armstrong.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

Landmesser-520x338.jpg

A very brave man August Landmesser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Landmesser

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

2680359532_6b94c3573a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

123 LC wrote: »
    9/11 pic
    Pretty sure that was proved to be a fake pic

• Bassfish wrote: »

I think it's proven to be real, but there was a lot of discussion about their reactions. I'll do some checking into it.

Seemingly it is real - article here from the Guardian about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

It's a genuine photo alright. Though the people depicted aren't necessarily "relaxing" as they are often accused.

One of the guys in the picture had this to say about it:
    A snapshot can make mourners attending a funeral look like they're having a party.
    Thomas Hoepker took a photograph of my girlfriend and me sitting and talking with strangers against the backdrop of the smoking ruin of the World Trade Center on September 11th. Earlier, she and I had watched the buildings collapse from my rooftop in Brooklyn and had made our way down to the waterfront. The Williamsburg Bridge was filled with hundreds of people, covered in dust, helping one another make their way onto the street. It was clear that people who ordinarily would not have spoken two words to each other were suddenly bound together, which I suppose must be a fairly common occurrence in the aftermath of a catastrophe.
    We were in a profound state of shock and disbelief, like everyone else we encountered that day. Thomas Hoepker did not ask permission to photograph us nor did he make any attempt to ascertain our state of mind before concluding five years later that, "It's possible they lost people and cared, but they were not stirred by it." Had Hoepker walked fifty feet over to introduce himself he would have discovered a bunch of New Yorkers in the middle of an animated discussion about what had just happened. He instead chose to publish the photograph that allowed him to draw the conclusions he wished to draw, conclusions that also led Frank Rich to write, "The young people in Mr. Hoepker's photo aren't necessarily callous. They're just American." A more honest conclusion might start by acknowledging just how easily a photograph can be manipulated, especially in the advancement of one's own biases or in the service of one's own career.
    Still, it was nice being described as a young person. I was forty at the time the photograph was taken.
    More here: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2006/09/its_me_in_that_911_photo.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Bassfish wrote: »

No, it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Donny5 wrote: »

No, it's legit.
    Huh! Guess when you give it a good look they don't look all that jovial. Interesting pic in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Huh! Guess when you give it a good look they don't look all that jovial. Interesting pic in any case.

Well what else do you think people would be doing all day that day? They aren't going to have a look of permanent shock on their faces all day. If anything this photo portrays to me that no matter what happens, life goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

About the 9/11 pic I'll refer back to post #1712 on page 115 of this thread.
    In response to the photo of the new yorkers 'casually' watching their city burn:

20 years ago my father died and when my sister returned to school about two weeks later two of her classmates came up to her and said:

'You must be glad your daddy died because you aren't crying'. This devastated my sister.

So if you think the people in that photo are arses, think to yourself- did you ever smile at a funeral? Did you crack a joke with a friend on the day those attacks happened?

Context is a wonderful thing, as well as being a s***ty thing to be taken out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

It's a genuine photo alright. Though the people depicted aren't necessarily "relaxing" as they are often accused.

One of the guys in the picture had this to say about it:
    More here: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2006/09/its_me_in_that_911_photo.html

ya it's a real pic alright, and although it's surely obvious they aren't relaxing (why would they be??), just an interesting shot in my opinion, for me it shows how we, in the first world, just sit back and don't pay much heed to the horrible bombings and attacks that happen daily in other countries. (i know this is not what they were doing by the way, i had researched the pic before i posted it.) It's more of a symbolic photo really, and as @grimebox says, it shows that life just goes on. from the moment i saw it i thought it was obvious the people were'nt relaxing, why would the man in the front be crouched down like that if he were just chatting, he's clearly shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Life and death in Aleppo

frontline1.jpeg
    From left to right: Issa Aiash, 30, father of three, his young brother Ahmed, 17, and Sheihk Mamoud, 42, father of a newborn son, laugh and joke as they clean their post Saturday. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost

frontline2.jpeg
    A call comes through that a tank was spotted nearby. The men immediately grab weapons. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

frontline3.jpeg
    Within seconds the tank blast has already hit. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

frontline4.jpeg
    Debris and smoke fill the street around 30 meters back - covering me and the camera in dust. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

frontline5.jpeg
    This man was the only survivor. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

frontline6.jpeg
    He escaped with injuries. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

frontline7.jpeg
    It took several minutes before the dust cleared enough to check for more survivors, but there was nothing we could do. (Tracey Shelton - GlobalPost)

• That tank blast photo has to be one of the most incredible and startling photos I've ever seen ... incredible and sad photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I dont mean to sound like a complete hippy, but war is such a load of shyte. The above is just depressing. Imagine what that guy is going through...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Hogzy wrote: »
    I dont mean to sound like a complete hippy, but war is such a load of shyte. The above is just depressing. Imagine what that guy is going through...

Imagine what he would have put someone else through with his gun if that tank hadn't of fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Imagine what he would have put someone else through with his gun if that tank hadn't of fired.

Good point,
    One of the guys does pick up an RPG, and when they hit tanks, it is a hellish experience for those inside the tank, with ammunition exploding and metal ricocheting around inside, its no easier a way to die that's for sure!

That is not to diminish what has happened to these guys, those photos are startling,
    As you can see they haven't got a clue its actually happening, which in a way is comforting as they must have been dead before ever realising someone had actually fired a shot at them,

Its a cliche and it does indeed suck, but that's war, kill or be killed!
    Very few in war have ever believed or known themselves to be the bad-guys, and these poor guys were just legitimate targets for the poor guys in the tank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If that evil scumbag of a president would just step down, none of these people would be killing each other.

I've a good friend who is from Syria and he is trying to join his brother who has already gone there to fight Assad's forces. I'm doing everything I can to convince him not to go, but he's determined. Pics like these scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Wow what an image that middle photo is :eek:

3 at the front probably killed instantly and the guy at the back probably no more than 15metres away walks away with a small cut to the arm .

Jesus just watch the video in the link below. Shows a typical day in Aleppo

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/syria/120905/aleppo-video-bomb-attack-children-death-toll

Poor people and those kids - my God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I just can't look at dead kids - too upsetting. Got about 30 seconds in a stopped.

Horrible :'''(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

Came across this in the summer, Co Leitrim.

Memorial garden (attached image)dedicated to Fr Mychal Judge, family originally from Keshcarrigan.

1st official victim of 9/11 attack.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74337214&postcount=1721

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Justice for the 96

hd.jpg

090415niphillsborough_3--123928584641526300.jpg

090415niphillsborough_4--123928586567337000.jpg

3463821960_50c775795f.jpg

article-1369102-04434324000005DC-288_634x406.jpg

Hillsborough+Disaster.jpg

090415niphillsborough_2--123928582316995000.jpg

image-1-for-hillsborough-disaster-gallery-79960959.jpg

N0022071311733178981A.jpg

12394445410.jpg

hillsborough_1368658c.jpg

hills_disaster_466_access.gif

I have put this image in to remind all about the disgraceful story that The Sun and its editor at the time (Kelvin MacKenzie)ran with after the disaster .
    A article that still annoys and upsets today due to its disgraceful portrayal of fans supposedly to blame for the atrocity , and complete and utter lies about some fans attacking helpers and police yet there is never one photo or statement to support such allegations.
    MODS: If this goes against the thread rules then please take it out .
    hillsborough_disaster_sun.jpg?w=180&h=207

hillsborough-disaster.jpg

hillsboroughmemorial.jpg

repost for the day that's in it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Leiva wrote: »
    Wow what an image that middle photo is :eek:

3 at the front probably killed instantly and the guy at the back probably no more than 15metres away walks away with a small cut to the arm .

Jesus just watch the video in the link below. Shows a typical day in Aleppo

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/syria/120905/aleppo-video-bomb-attack-children-death-toll

Poor people and those kids - my God.

It's a little known fact that Tracey Shelton who took that incredible video (and stills) cut her photographic teeth in Santa's Kingdom in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Not quite earth shattering, but I think it fits best into this thread:

PEz0v.jpg

Story:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/victim-takes-picture-of-his-own-murder/article601509/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

One-eyed thug Dale Cregan, suspected of shooting dead two unarmed female police officers in the UK.

E7E99BEB443F45467BEB111DFC253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Those Hillsborough pics freak me out, being crushed would be right up at the top of my worst ways to die, imagine how helpless those people felt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just to lighten things up.

In case anyone saw the pictures and was worried about the duckings they were rescued

jFsSQ.jpg

Advertisement