Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mid terraced houses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

If I was to ever buy a semi-d, thats something I would look for.

I bought the same and can never hear anything in the main living areas so it's great, my other neighbour bought the main living areas back to back type house and complains of the noise, they never even thought of the noise issue between the 2 types of houses..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

SNNUS wrote: »
    If I was to ever buy a semi-d, thats something I would look for.

I bought the same and can never hear anything in the main living areas so it's great, my other neighbour bought the main living areas back to back type house and complains of the noise, they never even thought of the noise issue between the 2 types of houses..

I have to say thats a brilliant point - I never would have thought of it and the post with the images of the 2 types of houses shows it perfectly - in fact aesthetically I would have definately made the mistake!!

OP - you can have bad neighbours anywhere :( A bitnof wind in a bigger garden of a semi-D and pot/cigs/strawberry flavoured vapes - they might as well be in your house. I have a terraced and semi - and for years I had NO problem at all with noise - then knacker neighbours moved in and you absolutely cannot mitigate for that. Even with extremely insulated walls and double glazing if they leave their patio doors open or bedroom windows ipen and yell and scream about you moght as well have them in your kitchen with you. My house is extremely well insulated but that is exactly the issue I had. I couldn’t enjoy my garden for two years until we (adjoining neighbour) teamed up and started making waves. In this case the house was jammed full of 13 children and adults - in a 3 bed terrace - total nightmare.

I play instruments and prior to buying I had a friend go next door and I played while they listened. I was quite surprised to find they couldn’t hear at all ( and that was before there were carpets down!) but in the semi d my garden away neighbours can hear - maybe because I was worse then or maybe cos the air vents were on the garden side and the windows were only single glazed at the time!

There is another thread on here atm about terraces versus semi-d’s : might be well worth a look.

I’d also say old versus new for thicker walls and actually having a hallway as additional sound barrier - many new houses are built as open plan without hallways and with a stairs in and off a main room to make them seem larger.

Also gardens - narrower houses, possibly narrow grdens and smaller gardens backing into each other can mean more and more noise especially in the summer/ if we are locked in for much longer and the weather changes. If like me you are noise intolerant after two or so hours of kids screaming angrily at each other a relatively high density jammed estate may not suit and you may be better off to hedge your bets in a more isolated type of house or one in an older area where every other house has a pensioner in it and not a bevvy of screaming kids and deaf mothers who leave them to their own devices hour after hour.

Next time I buy it will be abroad or deepest darkest detached in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Bubbletea21

Yeah that's the thing. You get annoying neighbours anywhere. I know we can't eliminate the risk completely but wish I could. Our current living situation is so bad...

I couldn't find the thread you mentioned. Is there any way you can link it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

Currently renting a terrace house at the moment. Luckily our neighbours are nice and quite. We hear just as much as we would in a semi detached house.

My one issue with the terrace house is that if one house gets mice they all have mice 🀢 There are new builds behind our row of houses and ever since construction started we have had mice every few months. They're under our floorboards and go from one house to another. Looking to move at the moment but for this reason alone it has put me off terraced houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Next time I buy it will be abroad or deepest darkest detached in the country.

Which is why I am living on a small island with few residents.. Even here there was initially a problem with a dog barking all night but we fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Which is why I am living on a small island with few residents.. Even here there was initially a problem with a dog barking all night but we fixed that.

Did you...... did you kill the dog?
    Sounds like you killed the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I'm buying a house and am torn between two. One is mid-terrace and the other is end of terrace. The end of terrace is much more expensive though.

However, in the end of terrace the sitting rooms and master bedrooms adjoin. If I'm thinking about noise alone, am I really losing anything by going with the mid terrace? Or would you still be very affected by noise on the side where your stairs/ bathrooms adjoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

android1 wrote: »
    Did you...... did you kill the dog?
    Sounds like you killed the dog.

roflol!

Emerged that the owner could not hear it barking at night. He kindly moved its sleeping quarters.

It is a collie and farm dogs here are not allowed in the house.

Beautiful dog; silver merle collie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Really depends on the quality of the build. If sound isolation is good then the only issue with a terraced house is no side gate and a smaller garden/driveway.

I lived in apartment where, aside from my deaf neighbor blasting music at midnight, I didn't hear a single thing. I lived in another apartment where you'd hear high heels walking around upstairs.

We bought end of terrace, house built 2019 and the sound isolation is very poor. We can hear constant impact noise, kids running around, doors hitting the frame, windows closing, plugs being switched on plus talking, shouting, dog barking etc. Can hear everything outside too as if window is open on night lock. Meanwhile a lot of neighbors in the estate hear nothing from the houses next to them, but I'm not the only one who can hear everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

I've lived in the same mid-terrace for 16 years (bought as a new build) We have never had an issue with noise, we are stair to stair on one side and living room to stair on the the other. Obviously we could hear if there was drilling or DIY going on, but that would be the same in a semi d. We have been very lucky with our neighbours, never had an issue and we have had a few different sets. We have a small driveway that takes one car and a car space across which although not designated, all the neighbours are very respectful and don't take up more than their share of spaces. We also have back door access via a passageway on the far side of one of the neighbours (we are in a row of three) I personally wouldn't like to live in a house where we had to take bins through the house. As others have said, it really depends on the house, I can see now how lucky we are with the layout of ours. Someone made a point about front doors being very close to your neighbour, we are close on one side, but it's not a big issue. A quick hello or a longer chat if the kids are out playing but again, we're lucky that our neighbours aren't the 'live in your ear' types. So it depends on the house and also your neighbours, but those are also hazards with a semi d

• Advertisement
Advertisement