Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Surname question

• 02-02-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Can someone enlighten me why 2 brothers might have different surname prefixes - Irish poets Seosamh Mac Grianna and Seamus O Grianna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

pummice wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten me why 2 brothers might have different surname prefixes - Irish poets Seosamh Mac Grianna and Seamus O Grianna

http://www.irishlanguageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4015

Supposedly Seamus took some poetic licence and used Ó for a pen name. Not sure how accurate the source in that thread is, but the family name was definitely Mac.

Ó (from), and Mac (son of) while not interchangeable, both mean the same thing (male descendent of X), and some names are translated in more than one way, just not usually in the same family.

*runs from the gaeilgeoirí for fear info is not spot on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Séamus felt that he was correct, but he was on his own in that.
    His pen-name was 'Máire'.
    His local name in Rann na Feirste was Jimí Fheidhlimí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

pummice wrote: »

They hated each other.

Advertisement