Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy Gran Moravia Cheese (Vegetarian Parmesan)

Options
  • 05-05-2021 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if someone can help me out here.
    I use this vegetarian parmesan quite a lot cooking pastas, pizzas etc. They can't call it Parmesan because it's not made in the traditional way, using animal rennet, but it's vegetarian parmesan.
    I used to buy it in Dunnes on Georges Street, Dublin. If it wasn't in stock I'd get it in Fallon and Byrne's across the road. Or on occasion in Little Italy, just off Smithfield square.
    None of these places have had it in stock for the last 6 months or so, they all say Brexit has messed up the supply line. I can't find it anywhere. I've tried online, but the postage costs are stupid high.
    Anyone know anywhere I can find it in Dublin? I really need this cheese!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I'm wondering if someone can help me out here.
    I use this vegetarian parmesan quite a lot cooking pastas, pizzas etc. They can't call it Parmesan because it's not made in the traditional way, using animal rennet, but it's vegetarian parmesan.
    I used to buy it in Dunnes on Georges Street, Dublin. If it wasn't in stock I'd get it in Fallon and Byrne's across the road. Or on occasion in Little Italy, just off Smithfield square.
    None of these places have had it in stock for the last 6 months or so, they all say Brexit has messed up the supply line. I can't find it anywhere. I've tried online, but the postage costs are stupid high.
    Anyone know anywhere I can find it in Dublin? I really need this cheese!

I think it's called Parmigiano-Reggiano and if you can't find in Dunnes definitely in Tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=Parmigiano-Reggiano

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Cheers guys. Will check them again. Dunnes (in Dublin) haven't had it in stock in their shops for the last 6 months or so.

markmoto wrote: »
    I think it's called Parmigiano-Reggiano and if you can't find in Dunnes definitely in Tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=Parmigiano-Reggiano

Cheers, but Parmesan and Parmigiano Reggiano are not vegetarian. To be called that name means they have to be made in the traditional way, ie, with animal rennet.

Giblet wrote: »

I checked Dunnes on Georges Street and Stephens Green. No joy. So I rang the online shopping customer service just to make sure they had it in stock before I put in an order with other stuff to make it worth the delivery charge. They said yes, it's in stock.
    Put in an order. Delivered there just now. No Gran Moravia. Driver showed me his docket. Marked "OOS" - out of stock.
    Seems to be impossible to get in Ireland these days.

• Advertisement

Well, I finally got this sorted, in case anyone else is looking for this cheese. I emailed Gran Moravia, and they sent me a link to KC Norton Foods, who do stock it. I rang them, and they only supply wholesale to shops, but they told me of a near by shop they supply, which also happens to be my local fruit and veg place. I went there, and they are going to order some in for me when they do their next order.
    KC Norton don't do the regular size packes of it, just 1kg blocks, at €9.75, plus whatever the shop marks it up. Apparently a lot of restaurants use it.
    So anyone that can't find Grand Moravia cheese, ring KC Norton Foods and see what is the nearest shop to you that they supply.
    Finally. It's been a long search!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Speaking of cheese, the new plant menu cheese from Aldi is very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’ve been using the one below. You can get it SuperValu - grated or just slices. It’s very nice.

https://nurishhplantbased.com/

Advertisement