Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lough gill 10km hospice swim 2014

Options
  • 19-03-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Is open for entry on Friday 21st Mar 7pm on www.loughgillswim.com
    It has raised €57,000 for the local hospice in the last 3 years and is a great event if anyone's interested in doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Did it last year.. was brilliant .. great feeling to be swimming out in the middle of the lake!! swimming into the mouth of the river was pretty tough ... as was the current in the Garavogue and the last K was a killer!

roll on August!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Just wanna lend a voice to say to anyone thinking of doing this, please do! And if you're not swimming, or able to kayak with the swimmers, pop on over to the Back Avenue at Doorly Park to cheer the swimmers home on the day-it's the least they deserve!

The swim is in memory of my friend Neill McGarry, and I had the honour of being in the hospice with him over his last 24 hrs. He was diagnosed in Dec 2008, his diagnosis was pretty much terminal from the start, but he fought it every step of the way before passing away on the eve of his 30th birthday in 2010. He was one of the funniest silliest coolest dudes I've ever had the pleasure to call a friend and I miss him.

The hospice is an amazing place, I hope I never have to be in there again, but the comfort, the kindness, the support that the hospice gives is something I will never ever forget-they made an absolutely hellish time somewhat tolerable and I will forever hold them in my heart for that..

This video gives you a little insight as to why the people who get involved in swim do what they do-so if you can support the swim and the hospice in some way, be it through volunteering, through fundraising, through sponsoring a swimmer, anything you can think of that might help, please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

and it's open this evening, 20 places gone in an hour and only 30 left, get on it!!

Advertisement