Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

Saadyst wrote: »
    Still waiting on this 1.29 update...

Thats rubbish....its been around for nearly a week now.

I take it your not rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Have an unlocked One X myself and no update either.

Have an unlocked One X myself and no update either.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Trigg171 wrote: »
    Thats rubbish....its been around for nearly a week now.

I take it your not rooted?

Yeah, not rooted.

Phone is not carrier-restricted or branded, so not sure what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Went to CPW yesterday all set to go for the S but after coming to terms with the size of that phone the X isn't really that much bigger and then went for that instead.

Just gotta get a nice slim case that covers all corners of the screen and offers protection when lying face down on the front and the camera and then I can relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Still waiting on the update myself and in the same boat as the rest, unbranded and I assume unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Anyone root yet? Any issues or was it plain sailing? Any issues updating to 1.29... did the update remove your root?

I have heard things about having to relock your bootloader before running the 1.29 update, can anyone clarify?

I previously rooted my HTC desire and my gf's wildfire so I'm not a noob to rooting.

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    Anyone root yet? Any issues or was it plain sailing? Any issues updating to 1.29... did the update remove your root?

I have heard things about having to relock your bootloader before running the 1.29 update, can anyone clarify?

I previously rooted my HTC desire and my gf's wildfire so I'm not a noob to rooting.

Yes mine is rooted. Its not too difficult yet it is the most difficult android phone I've used with regards to installing custom roms etc and thats mainly because the boot.img's atm have to be flashed seperately due to not having a proper S-OFF allthough that will hopefully be resolved down the line.

Here's Paul O'Brien's thread on rooting your device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1577671

You can flash the updates through fastboot which doesn't involved relocking the bootloader. I actually got the update to 1.29 from 1.28 by simply installing Android Revolution 5.0 rom. If you try the OTA update through the update facility though you would need to relock the bootloader though which sounds messy.

Alltogether though once I unlocked the device, rooted and installed clockworkmod its been relatively easy, just more steps to take with roms atm than with other devices. Once you are carefull and follow the instructions to the letter its fairly plain sailing IMO

Screenshot_2012-05-08-10-28-11.png

On a side note, coming back to the battery - the battery life on my phone seems to have gone crazy on me. The screen is no longer the #1 killer - it's being reported as "Android OS".

Took it off charge around 0645, and it was around 85% by around 0800 - and all I did was turn the screen on and unlock it, no other use.

Anyone got any ideas to find out what specific process / app is causing this?

A reboot didn't change anything, it's still draining pretty fast. I've put it back on charge now as it's 52%!

Have a look in your accounts and sync settings and make some changes there. For starters I'd personally delete your htc account as I hear that drains battery. Also there are certain things like facebook and twitter, weather widgets that just sync way too often (weather widget I think syncs every hour which for me was ridiculous). Also twitter, facebook, hotmail and google I only really wanted to sync contacts and calender so I turned off syncing for everything else. You can allways sync this stuff manually when you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can you only set auto sync on/off? Was looking to set certain apps to update, some to be left til i do it myself, but can't see settings for it.

My google account for example, i can't see a way to set it to sync at specific periods, or twitter, facebook etc.

Seems very odd that it can not be manually configured, would seem lie a rather basic function

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can you only set auto sync on/off? Was looking to set certain apps to update, some to be left til i do it myself, but can't see settings for it.

My google account for example, i can't see a way to set it to sync at specific periods, or twitter, facebook etc.

Seems very odd that it can not be manually configured, would seem lie a rather basic function

Thats because they dont use timed polling, they all use C2DM (push).
    They dont change unless theres a change at the server side then they update

As far as I know the push feature on Gmail, Hotmail causes minimal drain. The likes of autosync on twitter tweets, facebook etc. are far more damaging and I would turn that off (I use friendstream widget and update through the widget when I want to look through it). The weather widget I have set to sync once a day or update when opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For those of you waiting on the OTA, enter the following in the dialer:
    *#*#2432546#*#*
    *#*#CHECKIN#*#*

If your phone is unbranded, it'll manually enter the update queue. You should see "checkin succeeded" in your notification bar if you did it right.

Alternatively if you don't mind losing your applications and settings (Or you just bought your phone yesterday e.t.c.) just download and run the RUU:
    http://cxsr.eu/pubftp/onex/RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.29.401.7_Radio_1.1204.104.14_release_259281_signed.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey guys,
    Had the One X and sold it as was not that happy with the battery life to be honest and the screen looked very washed out....yellow's very light and blacks not dark enough.

Now thinking about the One S, for anyone that has it how is the battery life? And any other general comments on it?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Reviews say the battery on the One S is approx 10% better than the One X

*#*#2432546#*#*
    *#*#CHECKIN#*#*

If your phone is unbranded, it'll manually enter the update queue. You should see "checkin succeeded" in your notification bar if you did it right.

Did this and got the notification, what exactly did I just do? :P

HTC update phones batch by batch according to their serial number and queues them up for the OTA. checkin just manually checks you in to the queue.

HTC update phones batch by batch according to their serial number and queues them up for the OTA. checkin just manually checks you in to the queue.

Fantastic! I assume it'll probably still take a while though.... Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

*#*#2432546#*#*
    *#*#CHECKIN#*#*

Alternatively if you don't mind losing your applications and settings (Or you just bought your phone yesterday e.t.c.) just download and run the RUU:
    http://cxsr.eu/pubftp/onex/RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.29.401.7_Radio_1.1204.104.14_release_259281_signed.exe

Only did the first bit because I've no idea how to write text in the dialpad :o

• Advertisement

It's the same thing, CHECKIN is the same as 2432546, check your keypad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's the same thing, CHECKIN is the same as 2432546, check your keypad.

Presume you need stock recovery for this? Probably locked bootloader too?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Presume you need stock recovery for this? Probably locked bootloader too?
    Yes, the same requirements for a normal OTA.

Cheers PAMG will see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Anyone know how to extend the ringing time on the One X?? I'd say mines at about 15 seconds at the moment and want to get it up to 30. Thanks

Anyone know how to extend the ringing time on the One X?? I'd say mines at about 15 seconds at the moment and want to get it up to 30. Thanks
    Settings -> Call -> Call forwarding -> Forward when unanswered -> Choose your delay --> Push update

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Settings -> Call -> Call forwarding -> Forward when unanswered -> Choose your delay --> Push update

Excellent stuff, all is well again!:D Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ok guys bit of a predicament here, so basically...
    The White One X looks sexy and the black looks pretty meh, but there are a lot of black One X's showing up on adverts.ie for about €400 right now, im not sure If I should hold out till a white one pops up or go for it on contract with Meteor for a €200 premium :/
    So basically if anybody has experience with both colour variants id love to hear your opinion.. I want help me justify spending extra for the smexy White :P

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hi,

The time has come for me to get a dock for the ONE X i have and i want to make use of the fact that the phone comes with the POGO pins at the back.

Has anybody used these? If so, what dock have you got?

Read online that there are some subtle differences between where the pins are on american phones vs euro phones so dont want to go with a dock i can get from America if the pins won't line up - Any help appreciated

• Advertisement

Will probably be installing the 1.29.401.8 test RUU as it gets uploaded at some point today (hopefully before I go to bed). No info on any improvements as of yet.

Advertisement