Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avalanche backpacks

• 10-01-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Just on the topic of heavy snowfall being a very real danger in the Alps at the moment.

I was in St. Anton last year after heavy snow and noticed quite a a lot of people with these backpacks and am going again in ten days and will probably see quite a few again.
    I like going off-piste but its always a gamble.

I am just wondering do many people have Avalanche backpacks, Avalungs etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

andyd12 wrote: »
    Just on the topic of heavy snowfall being a very real danger in the Alps at the moment.

I was in St. Anton last year after heavy snow and noticed quite a a lot of people with these backpacks and am going again in ten days and will probably see quite a few again.
    I like going off-piste but its always a gamble.

I am just wondering do many people have Avalanche backpacks, Avalungs etc?

I go off piste, and no I don't have any protection like that, I feel quite guilty and stupid for not having it. It's getting to the point (quite rightly) where it's an essential piece of kit, like helmets have become. The big issue for me is the price of them, there's always something else I want to buy more urgently.

I haven't seen them for rent in many resorts, and I have checked. Hopefully they will become more available in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

cormee wrote:
    I haven't seen them for rent in many resorts, and I have checked. Hopefully they will become more available in years to come.

Ive seen them for rent in St Anton.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Do you all carry shovel, probes and transceiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭andyd12

Rew wrote: »
    I don't anyway, guilty on all charges:o.

I don't go massively off piste, I wouldnt go to an area where has been somewhat skied before but I do realise that is not a good strategy also.

andyd12 wrote: »
    I don't anyway, guilty on all charges:o.

I don't go massively off piste, I wouldnt go to an area where has been somewhat skied before but I do realise that is not a good strategy also.

Airbag is the last of your worries so, avalanche training course prob what you should be thinking about.

• Advertisement

Something to consider as well is that most people trapped and killed in avalanches didn't trigger them, someone else did above them so the danger is not just to you but potentially to those below you. Most people have skied on the edges of pistes or cut corners on switch backs but def need to think long and hard before you do it.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Ive seen them for rent in St Anton.

How much are they?

cormee wrote: »
    How much are they?

€180 for 6 days:
    https://www.sport-jennewein.com/skirental/skirental-stanton.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yes, but the only one in the group that does. We don't go anywhere too extreme but l do try and steer the guys away from areas that look suspect even to my limited knowledge. I read up on avalanches one year that there was a lot of snow in the resort we were going to and it scared me how easily it could happen. It's actually a fascinating subject with so many variables and things to look out for.
    The transport in aeroplanes of the air canisters has put me off buying the likes of an ABS airbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I used to be really blase about off piste. I basically got into it in Chamonix where everyone did it and I was totally oblivious to the risk. The entire mountain in Argentiere gets tracked out immediately in fresh snow. Everyone goes everywhere, like ants. Aul ones in onesies with no helmet. Kids. Tourists. And I did the same.

In fairness, where people go off piste all the time, and it gets mogulled as a result, its relatively safe, or at least less dangerous than an unskied slope in same conditions (hilariously in the avalanche literature its called "the Arlberg effect"). But in Chamonix I now shudder to think I went up the top lift in GM, skipped under the "high mountain itinerary only" rope, and skied down the front face, alone. I realise now its a fcuking glacier and I could have gone into a crevasse without anyone even knowing I was there. I had no idea of the risk.

I think in general thats the way we, as Irish tourists, approach a ski area. Its like a theme park, we've paid our entry ticket and then we want to run around like a mad yoke. Its all a bit of craic. But you need to remember that in fact the high mountains are a totally uncontrolled environment, and we can't survive up there without the life support we put up there for people. You get in trouble up there and you will die, quite quickly.

I changed my attitude when I had kids and I read more and more about avalanche deaths and avalanches in general. I also face planted at high speed in deep snow in Cervinia after the last lifts had closed, off piste, right up at the top and the guy I was with didn't notice and went on. I was upside down in the deep fresh snow, with snow literally in my lungs and airway, I couldn't move apart from one elbow, which I used to scrape my airway clean and dig myself out after a few minutes. Those first few seconds when I couldn't breathe were the scariest moments of my life. It was horrific. I feel if I had been going a little bit faster I could have been totally stuck and suffocated or frozen to death overnight. Totally unnecessarily, totally innocuously. Just off the side of the piste. Really reminded me of how important it was to have a buddy and to keep an eye out for each other.

Now I don't do any substantial off piste without a guide and am much less reckless with casual off piste. Two years ago I was in Courmayeur, hired a guide, on the way to meet him in the lift and he rang to say he thought it was too dangerous, he was cancelling the day. This meant he wouldn't get paid, which for guys who have short seasons and don't earn crazy money, must not be the easiest thing to do. That day there was a huge avalanche off the side of the pisted area where we had spent the two previous days skiing, over ten skiers were caught in it and 3 died. It was a classic case of powder panic, they were all in the same gully area on a high risk day, someone triggered it and it caught them all. I was skiing the piste that accessed it all that day and could see lots of skiers heading off along the track to the side of the piste which accessed the area. A couple of years ago I would 100 % have followed them, I have no doubt. It looked exactly like a nice "local knowledge" run in Chamonix. It was exactly where I hoped the guide would bring us. Was a real eye opener for me.

I have a transceiver probe and shovel now. The transceiver may help me, if someone sees me getting buried, but if I'm honest, I have yet to practice trying to find someone else with it and I have it over a year now. I also bought two books on avalanches, neither of which I read and one of which I lost. I only know the loose basics of how to go probing for someone. I got a demonstration prior to a guiding day in St Anton and I reread the manual each time I fly out. But really I should try and practice using the transceiver itself in Ireland. Its hard to find the time. And when I'm out on a 3 day powder chase, chomping at the bit having hunted the conditions and time off for weeks even months, ain't no way I am taking time off the slopes to learn.

I rent airbags if they're available and I intend on off piste guiding or a lot of side piste with fresh snow, I had one the 3 days I was skiing this week and the time before. Paid 25 per day this week, previously I got it for I think a tenner when hiring a mountain guide in Cervinia. But they're not that easy to get and sell out when conditions are good.

I definitely feel better with one on. I must have looked quite the clown the last few days as I spent most of my time on the piste skiing it badly! All the gear, can barely steer! Plus Rew is absolutely right - you should be educating yourself to avoid the avalanche, airbag is literally your last port of call. Its not like the star in mario bros!

They are quite expensive to buy, like 600 - 1000, and most cannot be carried on planes without prior clearance which I think is tricky to get, as they are kind of explosive. There is one which is electrically charged you can bring on planes.

Also, plenty of people get killed with airbags on.

In fact, all of the above is really no substitute to either not taking the risk at all, or engaging a guide.

Guides and gear are not cheap, but there are a few simple things you can do that will help mitigate the risk:-

- don't take off piste for granted, there's a whole world of risk there that a casual skier would never be aware of

- never go off piste alone, the most inoccuous thing could end up killing you, it happens every year, people die just off the side of the piste

- try and be aware of the avalanche risk, really you shouldn't be doing any off piste at all if its 4 (and certainly not without a guide), and probably not if its 3. More people die at 3 than any other level.

- if there is a risk avoid slopes more than 30 degrees as they tend to be where the risk is concentrated - you can get apps on your phone to measure the slope with a pole, but safer stuff will probably be about blue gradient

- never skip into a closed piste as the piste may be closed due to avalanche risk. Couple of years ago there was an incident when I think 6 french students were killed when their teacher took them on to a closed piste, horrific stuff. Just don't do it, apart from anything else its disrespectful to the pisteurs who have a job to do and are trying to keep you safe.

In general trees are safer as they hold the snow pack - I always think that the safest place is trees between pistes that other skiers regularly go - the pistes and areas around them will be blasted for avalanches, there's traffic, there's probably moguls from previous skier's tracks before the snowfall and hopefully those previous skiers know the area to be safe. Hopefully people can be alerted if something goes wrong. But its still dangerous in there, this year there may well be tree wells in the Alps, because its so deep, you may not know where you'll end up and its easy to crash into something / catch a ski on a root.

Finally - if you're lucky enough to be somewhere during heavy snowfall then its worth bearing in mind that the first runs on pistes when they open up are basically off piste. Try and hit the first lift and get your fix in without the risk.

• Advertisement

Brilliant post, I'd say your experience really shook you up, alas its not until you have a scare or you read up on it you realise the risk.

As you say, as a nation we are probably too blaise! We just hit the mountain with the only care in the world is where the next gluwein or jager will come form.

a148pro wrote: »
    - never skip into a closed piste as the piste may be closed due to avalanche risk. Couple of years ago there was an incident when I think 6 french students were killed when their teacher took them on to a closed piste, horrific stuff. Just don't do it, apart from anything else its disrespectful to the pisteurs who have a job to do and are trying to keep you safe.

That was in L2A, I was there the year after (when there was no snow and saw lots of avalanches, some crossing pistes). They ducked the tape and went down a black thats in a canyon. As I understand it a large group were fully off piste above them coming down the side of the canyon and triggered the avalanche but weren't caught in it them selfs. Chair lift goes over the whole area, must have been awful beyond words. 2 kids and an adult unrelated to the group died and the teacher was prosecuted. Hundreds of people had ducked the tape that day.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12099993/Dont-take-closed-ski-runs-even-if-they-look-enticing-French-authorities-warn-after-avalanche.html

Actually I think the above post is a bit grim and fear filled - bit of the post ski trip black dog there!

The reality is some of the best craic to be had on skis is buzzing around with your mates skipping into powder in between or just beside pistes, and on those little rat runs through trees but close to piste. Kind of like mario cart on skis

Its very unlikely something goes wrong in those runs. You'd have to hit something hard or crash and have a wall of snow collapse on you and no one see. This does happen but once you're aware of the risk its probably not worth worrying about, particularly if you watch out for each other. Probably more risk driving too / from resort.

The real uptake from the above is not to take the big mountain, and big open snow faces or gullies for granted. Be aware of risk and get a guide or join a guided group if you can afford it.

Enjoy it lads!

Tree wells are a little known death trap those areas so still important to be with friends and have each others backs

And

TreeWells-799x1024.jpg

a148pro, don't think it was a grim post, just factual, nothing wrong with being aware of dangers which majority of people on the piste would be oblivious too.
    There's a misconception that avalanches happen in far off remote areas. People don't expect them anywhere near a resort or piste as they are deemed to be safe.

But yes, you can't beat the feeling of a powder day, floating between trees with your mates in close proximity. One of the best feelings in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tree wells are a little known death trap those areas so still important to be with friends and have each others backs

Scary video - tree wells are absolutely lethal - but there's no way that child should've been there in the first place. He was still doing snow plough.
    Had an instructor for a day in Alpe d'Huez who was showing me the best off-piste routes and his biggest bugbear was kids being brought on slopes they clearly weren't able for. He pointed out over 5 examples of it going up 1 chair lift, kids snow-ploughing their way down steep reds led by their parents, most of the kids looking like they were aged 10 or less.

And

TreeWells-799x1024.jpg

I went board first into a tree well a few years ago, it was a pretty small one too. I remember thinking I was going to have a heart attack trying to get myself out, the more I'd wriggle the board to get it out, the more loose snow around it would fall on top of it. It was a right pain in the ass. :mad:

Apparently the 3 killed in Lech the other day were found with their airbags deployed

• Advertisement

Apparently the 3 killed in Lech the other day were found with their airbags deployed

So did they just not float to the top, or were they hit by blocks of ice, I wonder.

So did they just not float to the top, or were they hit by blocks of ice, I wonder.

I haven't seen much specific detail
    Although they had avalanche protection equipment and deployed airbags, the victims were buried by the avalanche and suffered multiple injuries. They were located with the help of cellphone tracking.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4842809/german-skiers-killed-avalanche-austria/

I got the impression from snowheads that the area they were in was closed and they were skinning up into that area, when a presumably very large avalanche came from above. Presume the bag gives you a better shot but little more in certain circumstances, particularly if its a huge avalanche?

The whole Arlberg apparently in lockdown at the moment, lots of roads closed and very few lifts operating

There is also a side story developing about the 16 year old killed there the same week, with his family, based in Australia, pointing out that the avalanche that killed him may have come from rescuers skiing down to assist them:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-14/max-meyers-parent-say-rescuers-triggered-avalanche/10714534

To be honest I hate the immediate internet post mortems that take place in these kind of situations, blaming people and being critical of parents etc., there but for the grace of god. I would also obviously massively feel for the rescuers in this case, they were risking their lives going out in those conditions.

I think its Austria that publishes an analysis of all deaths in avalanches each year which makes for sobering and more reasoned reading if you ever come across it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Have a pieps jetforce myself. Airplane friendly. Expensive but worth it. An obvious advantage is being able to deploy multiple times on a single charge. Have used it with friends to give them the experience of deploying an airbag. Wouldn't venture off piste without it. Always carry shovel, probe and transceiver regardless if not planning off piste trip.

Find time to bury a pack with a transceiver in it to practice locating, using a probe and digging.

FYI, never take your gloves off to dig. Get a shovel.

Advertisement