Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for electoral fraud

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

People should behave decently in public regardless of sexuality. Tonight will be like gay pride on steroids though.

Indeed. And if there is an excessive incident, people are entitled to voice their objection to it.

Without being referred to pejoratively as the no 'crowd', or the Iona 'bunch'.

Which are petty terms to refer to people you disagree with. In my view.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Again!! Having a polling card does not entitle you to vote if you are not in fact entitled. It also does not remove responsibility from said voter to ensure they are legally allowed.

Then what is the purpose of a polling card?

Great for you. Enjoy the win. This referendum is taking Irish society one step further towards a place I do not want to be.

Are you talking about rampant (according to you) electoral fraud or the fact that gays can now marry....something that you just said you were happy about (or ok with the result....or something)

True. French girl told me her Italian and Spanish and French co-workers asked her why she didn't vote. They all did. Numerous stories of people coming back home to vote after many years. It's so widespread there is no point reporting it. It would need to actually be investigated.

So, just one example. I am sure there are many.

What numerous stories? What are you on about? And you are "sure" there are many? In order to be "sure" of anything you have to know it is true. Not "inclined to think so".
    So where's all your damning evidence of fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Nothing stalking about that, you told a lie and have been pulled up on it.
    I wasn't specifically talking about that. I am talking about people mentioning where I live, what car I drive etc. I didn't want to mention it was my girlfriend because her nationality is another piece of the puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I mean people that are working abroad for Irish firms.

They still wouldn't be passing tax here though. If you are non resident you don't pay tax on Ireland. Only exception is if you sell specified Irish assets, which would be rare.

I'm delighted with the yes vote, however I am annoyed with the mockery made by the home to vote crowd, many who legally aren't allowed vote, but took advantage of the mess that is the electoral register and voted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

I am trying to limit the amount of personal information on here because at least one of you is doing a bit of stalking.

You might be as well off not bothering with any of this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The electoral fraud isn't really what's bothering you, OP, now is it?

My main point here is that the security of our electoral system is virtually non-existent and extremely vulnerable to fraud.

Couldn't really give two ****s about the yes vote to be honest. It just confirms the pointlessness of it all for me.

Explain.

And not with some crappy anecdote about how your cousin's French nanny said she voted or some feeble line like "I'm sure many people voted who weren't entitled to".

Explain how this security is virtually non-existent and extremely vulnerable to fraud.

I'll tell you what, this was an interesting and entertaining thread so far which was kind of its purpose. Yes the title is a bit provocative. That was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Egginacup wrote: »
    Explain.

And not with some crappy anecdote about how your cousin's French nanny said she voted or some feeble line like "I'm sure many people voted who weren't entitled to".

Explain how this security is virtually non-existent and extremely vulnerable to fraud.

In all fairness he is right, it is fierce easy to get in the register. I'm on it twice, I could easily vote twice and no one would ever know. I don't though obviously.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Explain.

• No ID checks at polling booths
    • People getting added and removed at whim for the polls (I've seen countless examples)
    • Council workers calling to the door and and asking for names of voters and adding them with zero checks. (I know, that's how I was registered!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I'll tell you what, this was an interesting and entertaining thread so far which was kind of its purpose. Yes the title is a bit provocative. That was intentional.

May I suggest you take up a job as a headline writer for some low rent tabloid. Nothing you say now will have any validity.

Edit: Any legitimate concern regarding the security of the electoral system, or it's accuracy you may have has been overshadowed by your other agenda.

Eutow wrote: »
    May I suggest you take up a job as a headline writer for some low rent tabloid. Nothing you say now will have any validity.
    It's after hours, it was tongue in cheek. Unsurprised by the amount of hate from the left though.

Why don't you just enjoy your win and keep your energy for the celebrations tonight where you can all enjoy the infinite feedback loop which is the left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

• No ID checks at polling booths
    • People getting added and removed at whim for the polls (I've seen countless examples)
    • Council workers calling to the door and and asking for names of voters and adding them with zero checks. (I know, that's how I was registered!)

Sour grapes make you sick.

Edit: Any legitimate concern regarding the security of the electoral system, or it's accuracy you may have has been overshadowed by your other agenda.
    This post's temporal proximity to the referendum was no accident. It was triggered by anecdotes I heard around non-Irish voting yesterday.

It's after hours, it was tongue in cheek. Unsurprised by the amount of hate from the left though.

Why don't you just enjoy your win and keep your energy for the celebrations tonight where you can all enjoy the infinite feedback loop which is the left.

You only admitted to it being tongue in cheek because you were found out to be economical with the truth, changing your story. I don't know what "wing" I'm supposed to be on, so I don't know how you would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.
    good. i couldn't give a ****, it passed thats all that matters. victory for ireland

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

You only admitted to it being tongue in cheek because you were found out to be economical with the truth, changing your story. I don't know what "wing" I'm supposed to be on, so I don't know how you would know.
    How was I economical with the truth?? I was just trying to limit the personal information here due to the militant yes side. I said friend instead of girlfriend. She is both so no lie there.

good. i couldn't give a ****, it passed thats all that matters. victory for ireland
    Yeah **** democracy, at least you got what you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It *was* democracy, the majority voted yes - what the flying fuq are you on about? Are you actually losing the plot? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's a disgrace that Irish citizens have to come home to vote. There should be an online system to let them vote from anywhere in the World.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It *was* democracy, the majority voted yes - what the flying fuq are you on about? Are you actually losing the plot? :confused:
    No, just the rag :pac:

Read the post I replied to slowly and carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,393 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But democracy is exactly what happened, the people voted and the majority voted yes.

Discodog wrote: »
    It's a disgrace that Irish citizens have to come home to vote. There should be an online system to let them vote from anywhere in the World.
    What a wonderful idea. 4chan would have a field day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Put the toys back in the pram there, kid.

How was I economical with the truth?? I was just trying to limit the personal information here due to the militant yes side. I said friend instead of girlfriend. She is both so no lie there.

For a start in your opening post you said 66,000 people had returned to Ireland to vote. Where did you get the 66,000 from? Was it that 66,000 new people had registered to vote, with those 66,000 coming from people who had reached voting age, or those over 18 deciding to register to vote for the first time? If so, it is different to what you have suggested.

Then your girlfriend said something to you, then it was a friend. Nobody is going to know who you are by stating one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I saw a lot of posts on FB today from people who said in their polling station the officials had bibles on their desks.

I probably would have enjoyed a no vote but gay marriage is not really an issue for me. What was an issue was the approach of the yes side here and the liberal agenda in the media.

Electoral fraud is a possibility. There are also people blatantly taking advantage of it.

What approach are you referring to? And what "liberal agenda" in the media?

You stated that the result was a victory for electoral fraud. These are your words. Not even able to back up your farcical claims of ballot impropriety you now shift your stance to not being bothered by the result (even though in the same sentence you declare that you would have "enjoyed" a no vote). Why would you have "enjoyed" a no vote? If a yes vote is not really an issue for you then why would you "enjoy" a no vote which would also not really be an issue for you?

For a start in your opening post you said 66,000 people had returned to Ireland to vote. Where did you get the 66,000 from? Was it that 66,000 new people had registered to vote, with those 66,000 coming from people who had reached voting age, or those over 18 deciding to register to vote for the first time? If so, it is different to what you have suggested.

Then your girlfriend said something to you, then it was a friend. Nobody is going to know who you are by stating one or the other.
    I already admitted early in the thread that the number was a mistake on my part.

• Advertisement

This whole post was a result of a friend telling me their European co-workers were all voting yes!

And if they told you Humpty-Dumpty had a great fall what would you do?

Advertisement