Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Hi guys, not posted in a while now :)
    I just finished day 8, and I'm barely smoking at all.. if I'm in work, I'll have around 7 a day, if I've the day off, could be as few as 2 or 3. I've noticed that I can instantly replace a craving by just thinking about how horrible it now feels to smoke having being on Champix. Going to wait until Day 15 begins to give them up entirely.

A few side effects though:

Every morning I take the pill, I feel very sick - down to cold sweats, salivating heavily, and irregular breathing. I usually spend about 15 minutes trying to prevent myself from vomiting.

When driving my bike, I'm usually cautious, but always enjoy it. Whenever I'm driving into work after taking the morning pill, I'm very paniced. Have made some stupid mistakes because of it too - have been grabbing the taxi wherever possible, but money doesnt allow for that all too much :rolleyes:

And I feel like er, a big girl for saying this, but I've honestly been feeling really down the past couple of days. I'd have phases during the day where I'd suddenly go from happy to feeling like utter ****, and taking it out on people around me. In work tonight at around 10pm where I usually start relaxing due to things being quiet, I was on edge. Staring at the clock, and getting pissed off whenever any colleagues would talk to me. Usually at its worst when Im going to sleep - the instant "downer" feeling that'd come rushing over me can literally be scary at times.

Finally, the dreams - on nicotene patches, I loved my dreams. I've had nothing but nightmares with Champix, I usually wake up a couple of times a night with them, which has left me with bags under my eyes, and probably doing nothing to help my moody bastard phases.

They're really helping with the smoking side of things, and I dont intend on coming off them until I complete the course, but aside from cutting down on the smoke, I'm really not enjoying this course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

im going cold turkey, but my sister had the same trouble, sickness, feeling down, so they cut her dose in half, she said the lift was instant and it still worked, shes still off them two years later, so you should talk to your doc, no point in suffering if you dont have to, she gave cigs up on day 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

hey there Tellox

can i suggest you go to your doctor and get checked out. I'm aware of the side effects of the drug but I think to be on the safe side you should be checked out by a pro just to be sure.

Other than that well done for putting up with it all and still persevering!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kahlan

Hey everyone,

It is now day 3 and I have no side effects yet apart from dreams (I normally have quite unusual dreams anyway but they usually make sense!) Tomorrow I start on the double .5mg dose! Am definitely smoking way less also!

On another note, the acid reflux came back with a bang last night and I could not sleep for ages, I went into school (to teach) this morning barely able to keep my eyes open. Must go back to doctor for stronger meds, I have been on the losec for two weeks now and they are not working. Thankfully, tomorrow is my last day of teaching practice so I can slightly relax as I will be back to the slightly less hectic schedule of college.

Tellox, Mystik Monkey is definitely 100% right, go back to doctor and he/she will probably lower the dose but it will still work!

To everyone else, a big hello, it is great to know you guys are out there!

Until tomorrow!

xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi Tellox, I'm really sorry to hear that you're having all those problems with Champix. Are you eating prior to taking your pill? And following up with lots of water? I pray things get better for you and have to compliment you on your strength to pursue this inspite of all the discomfort! =^)

• Advertisement

Happy Monday! Well I hosted a Super Bowl Party yesterday and made it through with flying colors! All my friends were very supportive.

"We had previously discussed "nibbling". =^) Here's my "Day 22" topic from GETQUIT:

02/02/2009
    "Congratulations for making it this far. But you still need to stay on guard. Be aware of the ways you've changed your behaviors and let those new habits take hold.

You're doing great. Your commitment to quitting and staying quit is an inspiration.

Have you gained weight since you quit smoking? If so, don't worry too much. As we've said before, many people do put on a few pounds when they quit.

Now is not a good time to go on a strict diet. Staying quit should be your first priority.

If you are worried about weight, try to increase your activity level. Do your best to eat a sensible, balanced diet. But don't deprive yourself too much. Also, make sure to keep yourself hydrated. Of course, you should always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new physical activity.

To learn more about smoking and weight, go to:
    http://www.smokefree.gov/pubs/FFree3.pdf (I don't know if you can open. It's a U.S. Government Document)

Now that you're quitting smoking, are you replacing cigarettes with food? If so, that's not unusual. But it's important to be sure the food you're eating is as healthy as possible.

Here are some risky situations that may have you responding with food instead of smokes:

A.Having an argument
    B.Feeling stressed
    C.Partying with friends
    D.Boredom
    F.Feeling uncomfortable in a social situation
    G.Loneliness

And here are some ideas that may help you make good choices:

1.Keep some mints or gum handy
    2.Drink a glass of water or sugar-free beverage
    3.Eat a healthy snack: vegetable, fruit, low-fat yogurt, etc
    4.Plan an activity to keep busy
    5.Call a friend"

Today's activity is designed to remind you of your Smoking Risk Situations, and to make sure you're handling them in healthy ways. Let's take a look.

Kahlan, Sorry to hear about the acid reflux. I suffered that for years. Last September I had to go through a battery of tests from my primary care Physician and one was with a Gastroenterologist. Come to find out I had a small peptic ulcer. He gave me a prescription for Omeprazole and I haven't had the problem since. Anyway it's sounds like you doing good. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Wow Loads of posts today.
    Mystik you're funny, I know the score I've a sister who is a nurse & a friend who is a plastic surgeon, I know you will do things with health & safety in mind :) Come on, get the script & join us!

Kahlan, stick with it, I think everyone who goes off the fags has insomnia at some point, I find keeping physical & busy in the evenings helps but I'm right there with ya on not being able to drop off easy. It's like nervous energy is'nt it.

Hi Donnie, I used to live on chewing gum & diet cola when I was a smoker, since Champix those habits died so I'm glad to be rid of them. I have bought mints for long journeys in the car though. The weight Gain booklet is very good.

Tellox You poor thing, yes as others have advised get straight onto your doc, phone in asap, I'm sure he/she'll tell you to cut your dose in half. I had a bit of trouble sleeping the last week & was tempted to cut the dose in half myself. I've a feeling I'd still resist the cravings if I was only on one pill a day. So far it has'nt caused me any major problems though so still on the double dose. You dont necessarily need to take it first thing in the morning either, I've often left it as late as 11 or 12 o'clock to take it and no ill effects. But it's got to be after food & with water.
    Just talk to the G.P. as you are meant to report any feelings of being down or aggressive. Fair play to you for sticking it out.
    Have you seen the people on youtube on champix? Some show the negative effects & how they overcame them.
    To everyone else, Kudos for another day off the fags! I drove home on some mad country roads in that blizzard tonight & I really felt like a smoke when I got home, but I keep having to remind myself I DONT SMOKE ANYMORE!:D

Blizzard!? What's that??? L.O.L.!!!:D;) (just kidding)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Blizzard!? What's that??? L.O.L.!!!:D;) (just kidding)

Just for you Donnie this is my Patio about 10 minutes ago Note the folded up sun lounger.......it has'nt been unfolded in about 2 years & that my friend is the beauty of Irish weather, any wonder we all smoke LOL Brrrr

• Advertisement

OMG!! I didn't know it snowed like that in Ireland!! :D

Here's my Patio! ;)My Patio.JPG

Ha ha this is fun! Well, this is the first bad snow we've had in some years, not since 2003. The worst snow we ever got was in 1982 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc
    & my parents told me the year they got married 1963 was bad. Naturally enough we are' nt prepared for it so the place comes to a virtual stand still. I avoided some amount of near misses tonight, vans were skidding all over the place. It's the first time I ever drove in snow. Scary.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Hi Tellox, I'm really sorry to hear that you're having all those problems with Champix. Are you eating prior to taking your pill? And following up with lots of water? I pray things get better for you and have to compliment you on your strength to pursue this inspite of all the discomfort! =^)

Hi Donnie - yeah, eating beforehand and following up with tonnes of water. The situation seems to be getting worse rather than better though :(

The nightmares have gotton a little too extreme - had one the other night where bugs were crawling all over me. After waking up, I was convinced they were in the bed with me, I remember screaming before coming to my senses.

On another night, I woke up and cried for a couple of minutes - I still have no idea why I did this, I just remember never feeling as bad in my life.

I've also been lashing out at people without reason - I haven't seen a friend in a few weeks due to both of us being in different counties and in full time work & education, and I absolutely tore them out of it for it - claiming it was entirely their fault. The sudden depression/rage etc feeling is very hard to explain - you'd never believe champix is doing it to you, you're convinced the feelings are genuine.

Obviously after a while I calmed down and apologised - but it worries me a little, what other things am I doing and believing champix is having no decision in it?

Also, I'm pissing like a racehorse.. Looks like I'm getting the brunt of the side effects :rolleyes:

On the bright side, I had a smoke this morning and felt sick to the stomach for it, so I took my morning pill, and am going to make an attempt at not smoking for the day. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Tellox seriously get down to your doc, i'd cut down to one drug a day NOW if I was you, then see what your GP says. You may need to come off it. It sounds dangerous for you to continue the normal dosage at the moment if you ask me.

Dear all,

I am now on Day 5, and I still feel fine. I am worried about you Tellox, go back to the doc and see what he/she can do and let us know how you are getting on!

On a personal note, I finished teaching practice yesterday and the principal said I was terrific and gave me a Parker pen and a cheque for a €100. (You don't get paid when you are on teaching practice). He also said that when I got my results, I was to forward them to the school. I am so chuffed.

Thank God it has stopped snowing. I live on campus in college and the winds were so bad last night that a segment of the roof on the opposite building came off. Security came around and told us to stay away from the windows, but my room is right beside the window!! Luckily my bff let me stay in her place!!!!

Anyway, gotta go,

Kathy

Hi Kahlan & congrats on your Placement, I know the feeling,I graduated in 2007 as a mature student, it was'nt easy but I loved every minute of it. Well, the days are flying by good to hear your doing fine with no major side effects. Sheesh you're lucky you were'nt caught in that roof incident. Didf you get the snow that we got in Dublin? Petrifying to drive in, I love snow but thank God it's melting now. I really wanted a smoke yesterday evening after I made it home through the blizzard, but I resisted. Think we may have lost Donnie to the Superbowl :pac::pac::pac: Keep up the good work!

Hey Poutbutton,

yeah the roof incident was scary, one of my flatmates slept in her room on the far side of the bed absolutely terrified. Her room is a double so it is much bigger than mine. My bed is right beside the window and my room is tiny, so if anything comes through it, It would definitely hit me!!! I found out all the gossip this morning and I was kinda sneakily glad that I was still smoking!:o

I think I will set my Quit Date for Monday which will be Day 10 of Champix!! Well done you for managing to drive in that weather. I live in Dublin, so I know exactly what you mean (though I don't drive), my best friend drove me out to her place a couple of times and she had to take the turns VERY carefully.

I hope DonnieL is enjoying the Superbowl ;)

Talk soon.

Dear all,

I am now getting a little nervous as my quit date is getting closer. At times I feel resolved and at other times I feel down right panic!!!

The smoking is getting less enjoyable and I find that I will start a cigarrette out of habit and then put it down half way through. Hopefully by Monday I will not want to smoke (I want to quit, I want to quit, I want to quit - this is my mantra at the mo!!!!)

Anyway, I had a seriously lazy day today after the stress of teaching practice and didn't realise until this afternoon that it had snowed once again. What the hell?????? Think I might curl up in a ball until the snow melts!!!!

Anyway, gotta go,

xxxxx

Hello

Hi Kahlan, enjoy the last few days of smoking, you're slowing down on them by now anyway are'nt you? I did too & often smoked just because I still could in that last week. I felt nervous before my quit date too, I was excited about it & I got the right result in the end - a feeling of disbelief that you are no longer a smoker & It's fantastic! If your still buzzing about it you could try this, it gave me a reason to look forward to stopping. I tried to remember what it was like before I ever began smoking - it was such a long time ago but I remember feeling good about it, my life was'nt taken over with the addiction and within 10 days of my quit date I was feeling like I was back there. I get so many other things done & interests are waking up by the day! I dont wheeze or cough anymore and when I take in a breath - it feels like a proper breath.
    I am having difficulty dropping off to sleep at night but I see people who give up using gum or patches also suffer with insomnia so the extra hour or 2 tossing is'nt enough to make me give up just yet.
    Oh, I had another epic Champix dream last night it was so funny, I was laughing everytime I remembered it today. :)

Sorry All, Actually the Superbowl was great and I was complimented on my hosting, eats, and drinks. But that's not how you lost me!:D The Hard Drive started going out on my computer so I was down for 3 days until I could replace it.:mad:
    Sorry to hear about all the foul weather over there! Kahlan, glad to hear that you were able to double up with friends. Hey kid, don't be scared the process is painless! I still have 8 and a 1/2 packs of cigs in my freezer (that's close to $50.00 here) Just couldn't bear to flush them!! BUT, I haven't even had the desire to go near them. I did take the open pack out one day to show my cousin where I stopped.

Ms. Poutbutton, glad to hear the snow is melting in Dublin. We've just lost our 80 degree weather and are getting back to winter. We had rain today and suppose to have it through the weekend into next week. It's snowing heavily in the Mountains around us which is beautiful once the skys clear. I have a back log of messages from GETQUICK which I will try to forward anything that I feel is pertinent tomorrow..

Good night to you all for now..

Donnie L.

• Advertisement

Tellox, Sorry, I've been off line for a few days because the Hard Drive was going out on my Computer and I had to replace it.. I'm with the others.. You seem to be having "extreme" side effects and really should get in immediately to consult with you physcian. I've had none of what you're describing. I did, I'd probably be off the stuff immediately. The Doc. could probably reduce your dosage, if not, even take you off the meds completely. Please take care of this and let us know how it goes. My thoughts are with you!!

Hey all,

DonnieL I am glad to have you back with us!! I am lucky, whenever I have computer problems I just go to my best friend who is a computer scientist and she sorts it out for me pronto!!!

I have decided I want a funny champix dream, I am so jealous of Poutbutton, I want to wake up laughing. I am getting really serious life dreams. Last night I dreamt that I was getting fitted for my bridesmaid dress (I will be bridesmaid in June for my best friend) and my ex-fiance showed up and begged me to marry him!!! The dream just sucked but I kinda did figure out at the end that I definitely have no feelings for him anymore, the weird thing was in the dream I was weighing up the pros and cons of having him as a husband despite me not loving him!!! Anyway, it was a weird one that left me absolutely delighted that I am a young-ish single gal!!!

With regards to Champix, I am on Day 7. I find that this thread is very helpful for keeping in mind the reasons I am quitting. Poutbutton your suggestions were great, I will keep them in mind too. Tomorrow I start the full dosage of 1mg in the morning and the evening.

Anyway, gotta go and get ready for the weekend, am having a girlie night tonight and am going dancing tomorrow night!!! Let the weekend begin!

xxxxxxx

Hi Kahlan and Everyone,

Here's the Support Topic from GETQUIT from today which is day 26 for me:D but I think we can all relate:

02/06/2009
    topic_tab_w5.gif
    "Congratulations for making it this far. But you still need to stay on guard. Be aware of the ways you've changed your behaviors and let those new habits take hold. [URL="javascript:toggleWeekSum(false)"]Close[/URL]

bdr_week_msg_bottom.gif
    topic_sum_w5.gif

[URL="javascript:toggleWeekSum(true)"]Details[/URL]

Look how far you've made it! Sticking with GETQUIT this long means you're committed to staying away from cigarettes.
    It's 4 PM and suddenly a chocolate bar pops into your mind. Or you see an ad on TV and feel like it's time for a new car. Or you see someone smoking — and you want a cigarette. These are examples of impulses.
    Impulses come into your mind quickly — but you can control them. So even if you feel like smoking, you don't have to light up. Sure, you can't prevent impulses, but you don't have to give in to them.
    Remember — what's most important is that you are in control. You can do something to distract yourself from smoking, like calling a friend or even saying to yourself: "Smoking is not an option." You can look at your Reasons for Quitting, your Quit Strategies, and your inspiration.
    Impulses may come and go. But your resolve to stay quit is with you always.
    One way to resist impulses is by having affirmations you can say to yourself. Today's activity can help you keep those affirmations in mind."

I just realized I can't forward previous days topics. Although they're still in my email when I actually open them up they revert back to today's topic.

The only when I say that seemed revelant at all was yesterdays regarding "Light" Cigarettes. I think we all know from experience that those are a sham that makes you draw harder on the cig and smoke more of them.
    OK, you all hang in there.
    Tellox, we're all still thinking of you..:)

Hello everyone It's friday again yay I had a really nice day today but I also had a lot of cravings think it was because I was'nt as busy as usual, note to self...keep busy.
    Kahlan just think this is your last weekend smoking while out on the tiles!
    Next weekend you will be avoiding the stink of the smoking areas :)
    I went to see Slumdog Millionaire, it was excellent, everyone should go to see it, it's a great story.
    Good to have you back Donnie, Your almost at the month stage, I'm almost at 3 weeks. Hope you have a nice reward planned for yourself! I'm taking your tips on board, I'm planning a detox for 3 days next wk, all fresh fruit & veg & no coffee, dairy or processed foods, time to get the body in order! Should be fun!

Hi, I can't believe we've been chatting like this for almost a month already.

Time flies when you're having fun!!!

I'm to old to "detox". If I cleaned out all the toxins from my system I'd probably go poooof! And there would be nothing left but a pile of dust! (nicotine free dust by the way) L.O.L.!!:D

Well I'm still doing fine and hanging in there! I still haven't had the urge to light up. The few times that I though "should I try just one to see what happens"? Then I think "No! and undo all that you've done!!???" Here's my GETQUIT Topic for day 26:

"Hello again. By now, you know what smoking can do to your health. But today we would like to talk about secondhand smoke and how it can affect the people around you. Take a look at these statistics.
    In the U.S., about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmokers can be traced to secondhand smoke each year.
    Secondhand smoke is also linked to an estimated 46,000 deaths each year related to heart disease and stroke.
    Secondhand smoke is especially tough on kids.
    It can contribute to:
    • Asthma
    • Middle-ear conditions
    • Low birth weight
    • Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
    Okay, so now you know. Smoking can be a real hazard for not just you. It can harm those near and dear to you. It's another reason to feel great about quitting and staying away from cigarettes. It's also a good reason to avoid people when they're smoking. You may feel like you're being a little rude. Yet you're just trying to protect yourself and your loved ones.
    To learn more about secondhand smoke, go to www.mayoclinic.com and search "secondhand smoke."
    The next time someone waves off the dangers of secondhand smoke, you'll have something to say to them. In those settings it can also be very useful to think about your Reasons for Quitting. Today's activity can help with that."

activity_title_d34.gif
    Here are some reasons to keep avoiding cigarettes. Choose the ones that are most important to you. You can print this list — and, of course, add to it. Or you can write down your reasons and keep them in your GETQUIT folder.
    • Secondhand smoke is bad for my family
    • I'll reduce my risk for lung cancer and heart disease
    • I'll have more energy
    • I won't smell like smoke and have bad breath
    • I made a promise to myself
    • I made a promise to my friend or partner
    • Smoking makes me look older
    • I'll have more money by not buying cigarettes
    Chat with you all later..;)

Hey Guys :) Just a quick hello before I head out, how is everyone doing? Tomorrow evening I will be 3 weeks off the fags yeeha. I still get the cravings but they only last seconds so I have'nt ever reached that panic state to go buy smokes like I did on patches. I'm going to be a with a serious smoker tonight, not looking forward to the smell but what can you do! Oh the insomnia appears to be gone, I'm a light sleeper as a rule but I seem to be back to being able to drop off a little easier the past few nights. So on we go!

Hey.. Good Luck tonight with your "serious smoker" friend. When they light up you can chuckle to yourself and think: "Gads, I used to be like that"!! L.O.L. Good luck and keep up the great work!!

Hey.. Good Luck tonight with your "serious smoker" friend. When they light up you can chuckle to yourself and think: "Gads, I used to be like that"!! L.O.L. Good luck and keep up the great work!!
    I think I'll quit sending the GETQUIT topics. They're kind of "long winded" and take up a lot of space in the thread. If I see one that really looks important I'll forward but the rest I will cease sharing. Unless, you WANT to see them. I know it's a lot of reading..:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Tellox, please see ur doc you are reacting exactly the same way I did when I tried champix.

I used them for about two weeks, slowly but steadily over those two weeks, I started to feel lower and lower until one night I started to think, what's the point in living any more, absolutely nothing gave me any joy or satisfaction. During the two weeks I had some unbeleivably awful dreams.

Thankfully I still had enough wits about me to realise that these damn tablets were causing this. I stopped taking them and returned to normal within 24 hours. I'm now six weeks off the fags using patches and doing great. Still get the odd pang but only once or twice a day and I can deal with that.

Advertisement