Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Evil cult in Dublin city centre

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

PDN wrote:
    I know that place. The pastor is an Irish guy called Brendan & I think they would be very glad to see you if you showed up.

Good,i'll bring some cookies with me then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hands up how many of the boo teh church crowd here had a massively negative experience with them that severely impacted on your life (not saying that none of you did, but the majority of you?)

Thankfully im content with knowing the church is an organisation where involvement is voluntary, and that they control nothing in my life (bar my canteens bizarre policy of fish on Fridays. The church did away with that rule years ago)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Hands up how many of the boo teh church crowd here had a massively negative experience with them that severely impacted on your life (not saying that none of you did, but the majority of you?)

but when u say "church" what church/religon r u talking about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe this lady could just cancel her phone line and get a mobile, and give the number only to people intimate to her?

Most bullies will go away if you become a bit invisible - they find a new (and more easily profitable) victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

galah wrote:
    ehm, can I just say that in Germany, for example, there's actually a government "Church-tax" (which obviously goes to the government, not the church, but the principle is the same)...and that's totally legal...

(I think it's 9 % on the amount of your income tax, or something)

That aside, it sounds dodgy - just send the revenue people in, they'll sort it out...;-)

is it not Dependant upon your religion, my brother lives there and i did to some extent and my recollection is it's a different percentage depending upon your religion. Course if you try the Atheist card they check for a birth cert baptism cert and say well you where baptized a catholic and seen as you have not been excommunicated you are still a catholic so give us your money.

I think a quick word to the revenue is in order this smells like a scam if it is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ats wrote:
    is it not Dependant upon your religion, my brother lives there and i did to some extent and my recollection is it's a different percentage depending upon your religion. Course if you try the Atheist card they check for a birth cert baptism cert and say well you where baptized a catholic and seen as you have not been excommunicated you are still a catholic so give us your money.

I think a quick word to the revenue is in order this smells like a scam if it is true
    so they think that you can't leave the church of your own free will and the only way out is to be thrown out? sounds quite like a cult to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

No, in Germany, you would have to send a letter to your parish priest, telling him you don't want to be part fo the church anymore - and then you're exempt from tax... (I did it, not sure how it is for Catholics, I grew up in a Protestant area...).

So it's your own free will, but it's kind of a final decision - pay the money or stop believing...Not sure what they do if you decide not to pay tax, leave the church, but pray secretly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

If you leave the church in germany to save the tax they will not let you marry in church, might not let your kid attend the kindergarten (which are often funded by the church and cost only about 80 euro a month) and they might refuse to bury you on the cemetery.

They also might refuse to baptize your kids or refuse the wholy communion. There are quite a lot of consequences. But do it as I did... I left church... and I will go back if I have a family, because that's not a problem at all.

And the money goes to the church, and not to the Government. A lot of hospices, hospitals, retirment homes, kindergartens etc. in germany are run by the church (catholic and protestant), and most of the money is used for these causes.

BTW... muslims, buddhists, atheaist don'ty have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 allianz

I think we're getting off the point here. Surely this problem is beyond just a religious issue. This is another example of the trials and tribulations that immigrants face. We hear in the news about various Asian, European and African gangs using different means to extort money from their own people. This isn't a concept completely alien to us either. Some areas of Boston are well known for their Irish gangs "taxing" the Irish immigrant businesses and workers.
    We really need to help our immigrant communities integrate better into Irish society. It can be very hard working in an unfamiliar country, not really knowing who to trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Church of Scientology! These fúckbags have been on the go for years and have been robbing vulnerable people of their homes and everything...an organisation that demands so much money before you can receive the next level of teaching or whatever is not a religion. I hate the bástards:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

philstar wrote:
    an evil cult......

the wealthiest organisation in the world.....is the catholic church

so when you're finished investigating that african crowd why don't you look into them:rolleyes:
    Thing is philstar the CC dont demand money off people to be part of their religion and if you look at alot of the charitable orders within the Roman CC you'd see that these people do alot of good in the world where governments and the people responsible for helping people dont keep up, look at the SVP(a roman catholic charity) who are the largest charity in Ireland who are helping needy people and families in this country every day of the year. You'd probably be guaranteed these arseholes demanding 10% arent supporting charities so much as supporting their lavish suit fetishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Are donations to religious organisations not tax deductable?

The church can get tax releif/credit if you are PAYE and pay over E250 (i think). If you are self-empoyed. If you are self-employed it's yourself and not the church that gets the tax releif so self-employed persons are encouraged to donate more. In the Church of Ireland people pay an annual sustentation fee. THe worst thing about the Catholic church is how they charge for to say masses for deceased people, i can never understand this (the other half of my family are Catholic and they are at a loss to explain this...i'm not anti-Catholic by the way)

The scientology place on Abbey Street in Dublin in freaky. You are lured in to do a 'personality test' . They find out your are in a vulnerable state eg relationships, lack of self-confidence etc and they prey on this by offering you a course that can address these 'weaknesses', which do cost you and are on different levels. Some people are so vulnerable they feel they can't say no.

The whole psychology of cults is a mind boggling field indeed.

Advertisement