Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Victory for electoral fraud

• 23-05-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How's those lemons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I only wish more had returned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.
    they are citizens of this country and entitled to vote just like in any other democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Alls fair in love and equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well as the majority is likely to be 500,000 plus it's not a factor in the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

People came home to vote.

Could still vote how they wanted, it wasn't only the Yes voters being allowed through the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

aaakev wrote: »
    they are citizens of this country and entitled to vote just like in any other democracy

They are not entitled to break the law. It seems that in this case anything can be justified by the yes side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not completely sure but i believe theres a time of like 18 months (could be more i'm not sure) in which an emigrant is still entitled to vote so no rules being broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fair bit of salt in the OP there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

aaakev wrote: »
    That is in fact incorrect. If they are out of the country more than 18 months they are breaking the law if they vote.

If you are not Irish and you voted yesterday you are also breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I'm pretty sure the Yes vote carried because the majority of Irish people believe in equality and didn't believe the sky would fall in if we allowed gay people to marry. Not because a few thousand Irish people travelled home to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fair play to them for using their vote, whatever way they vote. I know a lot of people, my own brother included, that was born here, schooled here, employed here, pay thousands of euro in tax here every year, and they have no say in the running of the country because they don't actually live here. I, for one, think that is wrong.

Rabbo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Yes vote carried because the majority of Irish people believe in equality and didn't believe the sky would fall in if we allowed gay people to marry. Not because a few thousand Irish people travelled home to vote
    Am I saying that?? All I am saying is that the system is insecure and broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That is in fact incorrect. If they are out of the country more than 18 months they are breaking the law if they vote.

How do you know they all voted yes? Perhaps Iona paid them all to come home and vote no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Any evidence that people who aren't Irish were voting? That's a pretty serious allegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is coming home to vote a Facebook thing?

Fair play to them for using their vote, whatever way they vote. I know a lot of people. people, my own brother included, that was born here, schooled here, employed here, pay thousands of euro in tax here every year, and they have no say in the running of the country because they don't actually live here. I, for one, think that is wrong.
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise you disagreed with the law. I apologise. How wrong could I be for wishing people followed the rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

They are not entitled to break the law. It seems that in this case anything can be justified by the yes side.

Explain exactly how they are breaking the law?

Sore looser much?

Rabbo wrote: »

I knew when i saw the story about returning emigrants that the No side would latch onto it if they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

stefanovich would you have given a **** if the NO vote had won by any chance?

• Advertisement

Oh sorry, I didn't realise you disagreed with the law. I apologise. How wrong could I be for wishing people followed the rules!

What rule did they break, they are on the register and are eligible to vote. If you know otherwise you should contact the Gardai.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Any evidence that people who aren't Irish were voting? That's a pretty serious allegation.
    Lots of third hand information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

The Gathering 2013 Home for the craic
    The Gathering 2015 Home to vote
    What'll they call the next episode?

Lots of third hand information.

Conjecture won't stand in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Didn't take long for the excuses to start coming did it..
    Would you still be as outraged OP if it was a no majority?

What rule did they break, they are on the register and are eligible to vote. If you know otherwise you should contact the Gardai.
    If you are out of the country more than 18 months then you are not resident. If you are not resident then you are not eligible to vote even if you didn't bother to take yourself off the register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Lots of claims, little proof.

Conjecture won't stand in court.

Even Lionel Hutz wouldn't touch that.

Lots of claims, little proof.
    Hmm, 66,000 people travel back to vote. I wonder what percentage were out of the country more than 18 months?? Australia is a long way away.

• Advertisement

If you are out of the country more than 18 months then you are not resident. If you are not resident then you are not eligible to vote even if you didn't bother to take yourself off the register.

How do you know that those people were out more than 18 months? And more importantly how do you know that their votes would have changed the outcome of the vote?

Advertisement