Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ticknock: How to find blue/easier trails

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

DFB should take a leaf out of the book of the NYFD and just force there way through...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know this thread is a bit old but I saw this today. The official trails have been renamed?
    This may add to the confusion for those of us not too familiar with the trails. Don't know when this happened though so it may not be news to others. When I started up here around 2013 there was only upper and lower official trails known as Metro loop.

Upper Trail = Metro 2, aka Afterburner
    New Loop = Euroservices aka Blazin' Saddles
    Lower Trail = Metro aka Skyline

Barnstormer is officially marked
    Tom's Climb is officially marked

Euroskeptic aka The Devil's Elbow

Kiddies Highway is the fire road where the Fairy Castle walking loop ends, the crossroad just up from the gate is where Barnstormer goes into Tom's Climb at the metal shed thing?

90IDPhf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thats interesting, wonder what the thinking behind that was.

They will always be the Metro's or the Euroserv's.... New names are awful! "Skyline..." FFS!

The other thing of note from that sign is the grading of the trails, the mainloop (eurosceptic &metro) are graded difficult and Metro2 graded severe :o Are they trying to scare beginners away by making them sound more challenging than they are.
    Would hate to see how they grade enduro and downhill trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

prunudo wrote:
    The other thing of note from that sign is the grading of the trails, the mainloop (eurosceptic &metro) are graded difficult and Metro2 graded severe Are they trying to scare beginners away by making them sound more challenging than they are. Would hate to see how they grade enduro and downhill trails.

They probably have to for insurance purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It looks like a nice loop. I watched a video of the new lower trail and Jesus it really is flowy! I'll miss the old one but once you pass the carpark the new section down towards the hut looks a bit like the original lower trail with the rocks and stuff so it's not entirely smooth.

Not a fan of the rocks in the beginning of the upper trail but Euroservices seems to avoid that now.

Now that I know about Barnstormer, Tom's Climb and Euroskeptic I'll have to head back again soon. It's also nice knowing I can start the day with Barnstormer and not have to head up the tarmac every time. Euroskeptic doesn't look too bad, bit narrower towards the end but just need to take it handy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Interesting. Whatever about the names - at least it might create consistent naming among bikers after a while. But seriously - Afterburner?? There is nothing official up there that deserves a name like that - Afterthought might be better!! (joking - I love Ticknock).

If they start naming the unofficial trails that'd be really impressive stuff. Heard there are a few new unofficial trails emerging, which is badly needed after the felling armageddon of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

steamsey wrote: »

If they start naming the unofficial trails that'd be really impressive stuff.

The honour of naming a trail should go to whomever built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Pretty poor and long winded suggestion for a trail to be honest.....

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

To be fair, we re pretty **** at naming our own trails

Some people only know the trails by the names from GE races.. i.e. Stage 1, Stage 2...etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Maverick91

Hi, im planning on my first trip to Ticknock this week and I want to hit all the main trails. Does anyone know if Boneshaker/Dreamtrack is still open and would someone fairly new to mountain biking be ok going down it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Maverick91 wrote: »
    Hi, im planning on my first trip to Ticknock this week and I want to hit all the main trails. Does anyone know if Boneshaker/Dreamtrack is still open and would someone fairly new to mountain biking be ok going down it? Thanks.

Wouldn't advise riding down those trails unless you are confident riding rocky drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Maverick91

nak wrote: »
    Wouldn't advise riding down those trails unless you are confident riding rocky drops.

Alright cheers, might leave it for my first trip then, good to know those trails are still open though as they look epic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭Gerry

They are epic.. I haven't done bone shaker in years need to hit it. Did dreamtrack recently and it's still in good enough shape. Not exactly a beginner trail though, so yeah, build up to it!

Dreamer is defo advanced. Stay clear if unsure. Boneshaker is ok but just rocks so need to know the lines to enjoy properly. Lots of walkers on boneshaker.

There are fewer unofficial trails now than there were but keep your eyes open and ask around, there are a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Just a question on Ticknock?
    Looking to get back into MTB (did a small bit a few years ago).
    Should I really avoid brining a car up there these days? I'd probably be going early and leaving early on the Sat/Sun (8am) but I could cycle to there if it was really an issue with parking.

Also I'm kind of older these days so I'd be taking it handy, probably just a couple of slow rides down Metro1. Would this cause any issues? Would I be getting in the way?

• Advertisement

Bot1 wrote: »
    Just a question on Ticknock?
    Looking to get back into MTB (did a small bit a few years ago).
    Should I really avoid brining a car up there these days? I'd probably be going early and leaving early on the Sat/Sun (8am) but I could cycle to there if it was really an issue with parking.

Also I'm kind of older these days so I'd be taking it handy, probably just a couple of slow rides down Metro1. Would this cause any issues? Would I be getting in the way?

It might be a squeeze at peak times but you can always get parking somewhere. 8am weekends you should be absolutely fine. Best place to park is probably at the Biking.ie hut if you are doing the full Metro 1 or else at the top car park and off you go up the tarmac.

Nah - you won't be in anyone's way. Experience riders (those going faster) should know to shout behind you to give you time to move in - don't panic - pull in where safe. Metro 1 has some berms, corners and even a double to practice on. Keep in mind that speed = stability & grip (up to a point). I believe that going too slow reduces front wheel stability so can cause crashes.

I see a lot of beginners up there these days so you should be fine.

It might be a squeeze at peak times but you can always get parking somewhere. 8am weekends you should be absolutely fine. Best place to park is probably at the Biking.ie hut if you are doing the full Metro 1 or else at the top car park and off you go up the tarmac.

Nah - you won't be in anyone's way. Experience riders (those going faster) should know to shout behind you to give you time to move in - don't panic - pull in where safe. Metro 1 has some berms, corners and even a double to practice on. Keep in mind that speed = stability & grip (up to a point). I believe that going too slow reduces front wheel stability so can cause crashes.

I see a lot of beginners up there these days so you should be fine.

Thanks!

I'll keep in mind what you say about going too slow.

Is Metro1 the right place to start back?

If after a while I'm finding my feet and feeling slightly more adventurous, what's the next most accessible routes to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'd highly recommend the Blue trails in The Gap too. €5 to pedal up all day, or buy 5 uplifts for another €10 if that's too much climbing.
    Take it slow the first few descents and open it up a bit when you know the trails a bit better.
    Loads of safe parking and good food when you need a pitstop.

Yeah as cjt156 says - blue trails at the Gap are well worth a look. You see parents / children on them sometimes.

You can also try the other 3 official trails at Ticknock - apart from the rocky start of Metro 2 (Afterburner) they all are grand for beginners. If you want to build up your legs - Euroskeptic (Barnstormer, Tom's Climb, The Devil's Elbow) is a good one to session. 1 minute pay off at the end which is fun. You can have a goo around Ticknock and look at some unofficial trails if you want too - other than the Dreamtrack there's nothing too hardcore there.

Ballinastoe is also well worth a look - plenty there and mostly suitable for beginners.

Djouce is one of the best spots once you're past beginner but you'd need to be guided at the start as there are some very gnarly bits that could get you in trouble.

Biking.ie do lessons etc if you felt you needed a few. Check out Youtube and channels like GMBN and look at the beginner mistakes.

Any questions - ask away here

Yeah as cjt156 says - blue trails at the Gap are well worth a look. You see parents / children on them sometimes.

You can also try the other 3 official trails at Ticknock - apart from the rocky start of Metro 2 (Afterburner) they all are grand for beginners. If you want to build up your legs - Euroskeptic (Barnstormer, Tom's Climb, The Devil's Elbow) is a good one to session. 1 minute pay off at the end which is fun. You can have a goo around Ticknock and look at some unofficial trails if you want too - other than the Dreamtrack there's nothing too hardcore there.

Ballinastoe is also well worth a look - plenty there and mostly suitable for beginners.

Djouce is one of the best spots once you're past beginner but you'd need to be guided at the start as there are some very gnarly bits that could get you in trouble.

Biking.ie do lessons etc if you felt you needed a few. Check out Youtube and channels like GMBN and look at the beginner mistakes.

Any questions - ask away here

Sound out!

Just on the GAP and parents/children - what age do you think it would be suitable for children?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

8 is minimum AFAIK

Sign at Ticknock saying they are going to do some felling from 29th June so might affect spins from Monday.

Rode a few trails there last night and couldn't help but wonder if I'll ever see them again! Hopefully the trails won't get too blitzed by machinery.

Sign at Ticknock saying they are going to do some felling from 29th June so might affect spins from Monday.

Rode a few trails there last night and couldn't help but wonder if I'll ever see them again! Hopefully the trails won't get too blitzed by machinery.

Saw a notice a couple weeks back saying felling to take place to djouce soon too and had a similar feeling. I noticed last week that they've been thinning and clear felling in Ballinastoe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

prunudo wrote: »
    Saw a notice a couple weeks back saying felling to take place to djouce soon too and had a similar feeling. I noticed last week that they've been thinning and clear felling in Ballinastoe too.

re Djouce - representatives from the mountain bike clubs met with Coillte to discuss with an aim to preserve the established trails where possible.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    re Djouce - representatives from the mountain bike clubs met with Coillte to discuss with an aim to preserve the established trails where possible.

Good to hear. It would be great if Coillte took it on to become a official but natural trail centre.

Advertisement