Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

one of my tops has a snood built in,

Mr Lah De Dah I've a snood in my top ..

#poshgit

;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    Mr Lah De Dah I've a snood in my top ..

#poshgit

;)

So does the one I sold you?

Though you'd never be wearing that past March and even then it might be too warm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We were only remarking about that today on our ride. We encountered at least a dozen cyclists around Glenasmole/Cunard/Featherbeds with tights and winter jackets. One even had one of those neck buff yokes which I wouldn't be able to wear in the depths of winter never mind when it's 20 degrees.

I can't wear them at all. I'm baked by 5k in, even in winter. I end up stopping and removing layers in winter if I go out the way everyone else does. I've more of a tolerance to low temps than most though. Heating rarely goes on in my home and i like telling people how low the thermostat in my apartment is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I just met Alek and family, fully laden, on tour on a rural road outside Skerries. Gave them a beep - hope I didn't frighten them. (Looked like he even had the children's bikes strapped onto the back of the trailer!). :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

My buddy went over the gap on Sunday, he just told the Garmin to give him 80kms and 1200metres. He did this in a wife beater and was in bits yesterday. We're really not equipped for any weather in this country

The only part not equipped is the brain. Sun means sun block. Cold means warm clothing. Rain means waterproofs. It’s not that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

After 600km in Wales I have comedy cyclist's sunburn. You can tell I was wearing gloves and my hands are going to look like this for the rest of the summer :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I can't wear them at all. I'm baked by 5k in, even in winter. I end up stopping and removing layers in winter if I go out the way everyone else does. I've more of a tolerance to low temps than most though. Heating rarely goes on in my home and i like telling people how low the thermostat in
    my thermostat might give you nightmares.

After 600km in Wales I have comedy cyclist's sunburn. You can tell I was wearing gloves and my hands are going to look like this for the rest of the summer :-(

On comedy tanlines, I missed bits on my legs on Sunday and now have red splodges all over my lower legs :mad: The annual fight against socklines was also lost at the weekend :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    My thermostat might give you nightmares
    genuinely - i did not know thermostats even went that high. you heating bill must be shocking.

genuinely - i did not know thermostats even went that high. you heating bill must be shocking.

:pac::pac::pac: They're actually fine.

I think I might be part cat/lizard, I haven't got a great tolerance for the cold at all. I have three weights of jumper/hoodie and sofa blankets that get me through the winter and beyond (this eve I'm under the lightest one). I think I'm blanket and jumperless about the same amount of time I'm buffless :pac:
    The heat however, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I just met Alek and family, fully laden, on tour on a rural road outside Skerries. Gave them a beep - hope I didn't frighten them. (Looked like he even had the children's bikes strapped onto the back of the trailer!).

Yeah, I know they should be on their bikes already... they were only having a little rest, I swear ;) We have cycled today from Dardistown > Skerries > Malahide (omg, from Lusk to Swords was a nightmare) > home. Over 120kg of gear and livestock makes a good training!

You didn't frighten us at all the way you beeped and that thumb up through the window. Also we got so many biiig smiles from total strangers today (too many to count!) that we simply assumed it was another sign of appreciation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Supermassive solar body of an image

NC5pbmXl.png

MMRUVpI.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    NC5pbmXl.png

MMRUVpI.jpg

:o image snipped!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

my thermostat might give you nightmares.

Oh Jesus. I'd be dead.
    Mine sat at 17 degrees max during Feb/March. Often down to high 12/13 after a turbo session when all the windows would have been open. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a fancy heating control system which allows us to set a threshold per room, and it automatically adjusts itself to keep at that temp. typically the living room is set to 19 or 20, less used rooms to 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone had any experience of dhb NoRain stuff?

Quite tempted by the idea of shower resistant shorts to match my Endura Classics Jersey

Mine is usually set at around 20 degrees and I'm getting through 500 litres of kerosene every 6-8 weeks. I've no experience of oil until the past year and I'm told that's on the high side.

Ohhhh that does sound high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Mine is usually set at around 20 degrees and I'm getting through 500 litres of kerosene every 6-8 weeks. I've no experience of oil until the past year and I'm told that's on the high side.

It'd be well worth investigating the level of insulation in the house. Particularly old attic insulation which will settle over time and lose effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's madness. If it's a forever home you should investigate connecting to the gas network.

A would be bike thief took my bike out of Aldi tonight, I stopped in to buy a Co2 inflator cos I forgot mine, I'd brought the bike in with me and was watching it the whole time and watched in disbelief as a guy wheeled it out the door and down the escalator. He just got the front door when he was suddenly slammed to the ground and ended up with my shin across his neck until the guards arrived.

I have a photo of my knee holding him down but probably not allowed post it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My parents got their whole heating system flushed out basically last year, new boiler put in and some better insulation in places.

Expensive initially but they'll save it in oil costs within a couple of years plus the house is far warmer now at a lower setting.

• Advertisement

We had about €500 worth put in the tank last week. We last filled in Sept. of last year.

Ohhhh that does sound high.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    It'd be well worth investigating the level of insulation in the house. Particularly old attic insulation which will settle over time and lose effectiveness.
    The house was extensively enlarged and renovated about 10 years ago. I re-insulated the attic as best I could a few months ago (horrible job) but, due to it's shape (house is on a bend in the street), dormer windows etc., and the very inaccessible nature of the shallow attic, it impossible to insulate it fully. It's also attached at each end to other houses which one would assume whould make it less exposed. (It has 20 radiators which I suppose in above average).

On the plus side, the integral garage is heated which is perfect for my bikes after a wet ride. :D
    That's madness. If it's a forever home you should investigate connecting to the gas network..
    Yes, I've considered that as we had gas in all previous houses - not sure how practical it is if it's not immediately available.

Yes, I've considered that as we had gas in all previous houses - not sure how practical it is if it's not immediately available.

If other houses on your street have it then its usually handy enough. You would need to change the heating system though. I do some work with GNI so could get you the right persons number if you ever wanted to investigate further

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Early title nomination for next iteration of the thread: Wishbone Ash’s plumbing.

If other houses on your street have it then its usually handy enough...
    The houses on each side have oil tanks. Must sus out others.
    Early title nomination for next iteration of the thread: Wishbone Ash’s plumbing.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's madness. If it's a forever home you should investigate connecting to the gas network.

A would be bike thief took my bike out of Aldi tonight, I stopped in to buy a Co2 inflator cos I forgot mine, I'd brought the bike in with me and was watching it the whole time and watched in disbelief as a guy wheeled it out the door and down the escalator. He just got the front door when he was suddenly slammed to the ground and ended up with my shin across his neck until the guards arrived.

I have a photo of my knee holding him down but probably not allowed post it..

East Wall? I'm paranoid even washing my bikes outside the house there. There's always some little scheisse riding a clearly stolen bike to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There is deffo a gas line running by there. €250 for the connection.

You'd just need some jiggery pokery done with the boiler and hearing system.

P_1 wrote: »
    East Wall? I'm paranoid even washing my bikes outside the house there. There's always some little scheisse riding a clearly stolen bike to be seen

Yep Eastwall, I'd brought the bike up the two escalators, I hadn't been able to relax with no pump so went in the get the inflator. Didn't take my eyes off the bike though thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yep Eastwall, I'd brought the bike up the two escalators, I hadn't been able to relax with no pump so went in the get the inflator. Didn't take my eyes off the bike though thankfully.

Next time you're stuck there with no lock, leave it in with the lads in the Spar on Church Road, they'll keep an eye on it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For anyone considering upgrading the energy efficiency of their home, there are grants available from the SEAI. https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/

Advertisement