Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fcuking hell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rather than me spamming the 24 hour time trial thread with stupid questions, just a pedantic question - if a time trial is 'what time you can ride course of distance X in', what do you call a race which is 'what distance can you ride in time Y'?

I seem to recall it being called a 'reliability trial'. No idea why...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Autonomous vehicles are really not close to being ready for road scenarios beyond very predictable ones. Road testing being suspended or scaled back by a few companies now.

http://www.eschatonblog.com/2018/05/im-prophet.html

There was a bit on Morning Ireland about driverless cars earlier. When asked where insurance companies ready for this, the response came across as basically "they're going to make it up" - which is what they seem to do anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was passed by a chap on an electric bike earlier - no shame in that, of course.
    what made it interesting was it was a bit of a chunky thing, with a child seat on the back; and on that segment in strava, i averaged over 36km/h, and i couldn't keep up with him. i have a sneaking suspicion it may have been chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

was passed by a chap on an electric bike earlier - no shame in that, of course.
    what made it interesting was it was a bit of a chunky thing, with a child seat on the back; and on that segment in strava, i averaged over 36km/h, and i couldn't keep up with him. i have a sneaking suspicion it may have been chipped.

Maybe your Garmin is faulty.

Time for a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

"They should have to have licenses Joe... no Joe, taxi drivers! We're a bleedin' disgrace!"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-third-of-taxi-drivers-prosecuted-in-2017-had-no-licence-1.3483485?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

From Facebook ads

449975.JPG

I wish I don't die laughing when I see one live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a28a0e3a0f5d67bd498f670d43baad87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

buffalo wrote: »
    "They should have to have licenses Joe... no Joe, taxi drivers! We're a bleedin' disgrace!"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-third-of-taxi-drivers-prosecuted-in-2017-had-no-licence-1.3483485?mode=amp

I know a thread with a certain someone that will really love to see that news.

Is riding the WW200 without registration, without availing of any food / water etc, a bad form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    Is riding the WW200 without registration, without availing of any food / water etc, a bad form?

I wouldn't do it. Food/water is only part of what is supplied with the entry.

A carefully planned route, risk assessment, signage, logistics of managing volunteers directing traffic etc.

The reason you want to ride it that day is because of the other 100's of people, who have paid, you can ride it with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yes, very bad form on every level.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

From the New Yorker this week.

449985.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yes. Last year they lost track of how many riders were still out because the Marshals were inadvertently counting the freeloaders on the route.

Not cool.

How about doing the route in reverse? Lots of waving I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wear your boards jersey and you may end up with more sightings than Wishbone Ash.

In a single day!

Nah, I would never do this. Was only asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Was only asking for a friend.

Wow, is Jonasz taking on the WW200 already after just cracking his first 20km ride?!! ;)

Well, he's a bit underaged to register, you know... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Be ready to encounter large numbers of people on the wrong side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

According to the whinging here a couple of years ago, half of those who had registered couldn't avail of food or water!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this ad is currently displaying for me on boards.
    if you want me to buy that rear derailleur for €500, please don't show me photos of it. i'd prefer look at my own appendix being removed.

450037.jpg

can a rear derailleur really be worth the same as an entire ultegra groupset (looks aside)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

this ad is currently displaying for me on boards.
    if you want me to buy that rear derailleur for €500, please don't show me photos of it. i'd prefer look at my own appendix being removed.

450037.jpg

can a rear derailleur really be worth the same as an entire ultegra groupset (looks aside)?

I hate cables. I'd gladly pay double that to get rid of the things... if only it wasn't SRAM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Raam wrote: »
    I hate cables. I'd gladly pay double that to get rid of the things... if only it wasn't SRAM.

If it were SRaam would it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I like the look of the Sram stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Weepsie wrote: »
    If it were SRaam would it help?

Raampagnolo for me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    Yes, very bad form on every level.....

I live in Wicklow. I'm not staying off the public roads because a bunch of Dubs want to pay money to tool around and queue for crap sandwiches.

Lovely evening here so headed out for a walk with partner and wee one , after a while my partner says to me "you always do that" after I heard the familiar sound of pedals turning behind us I turned my head to check what bike the person was on (it was a lad on a carrera mtb) but she's right though I do it every time I see or hear a bike :o

Am I the only one who does this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Enfilade wrote: »
    Am I the only one who does this ?
    I look at the jersey first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I always check out the bike. Barely notice the person!

Advertisement