Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

koutoubia wrote: »
    Down the coast from Balbriggan to Skerries. Through Skerries (with a stop for a coffee and a scone in LA Bakery highly recommended) and up the coast to Loughshinney. Take a right in Lshinney and then either the first or second left onto the back roads will eventually take you into Lusk. From Lusk go across Quickpenny back onto R132 at Murtaghs.
    A far more pleasant way!

Ever taken the left onto Millers Lane leading onto Golf LinksRoad in Skerries? , nice little climb on a otherwise quiet country road... Well a load loader wasn't happy with me on the road yesterday. Honking his truck horn and revving his truck vigorously within I'd say 2 feet from me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Torres09 wrote: »
    Ever taken the left onto Millers Lane leading onto Golf LinksRoad in Skerries? , nice little climb on a otherwise quiet country road... Well a load loader wasn't happy with me on the road yesterday. Honking his truck horn and revving his truck vigorously within I'd say 2 feet from me....
    yeah often do it after spending too long in the sun outside above mentioned bakery and the legs have gone cold.A tough little bugger on cold legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I think it's fair to say that the amount of Garda time that goes into policing illegal scooters is a tiny, tiny fraction of that which goes into general road traffic policing, which in turn is a fraction of the time which goes into policing drug-related crime.

well they must have lots of time, as someone pointed out they had 3-4 gardai out only looking for scooters to stop, i was closed passed near feather beds and a gardai was on foot duty, he commented on it, but doesn't do anything about it, that kind sums up the situation for me at moment. one job at time nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

manafana wrote: »
    well they must have lots of time, as someone pointed out they had 3-4 gardai out only looking for scooters to stop, i was closed passed near feather beds and a gardai was on foot duty, he commented on it, but doesn't do anything about it, that kind sums up the situation for me at moment. one job at time nothing else

There was a Garda on foot duty at the Featherbeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Was there a sportive yesterday that left around Fairview and headed up Howth then out NCD towards Ballyboughal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Was there a sportive yesterday that left around Fairview and headed up Howth then out NCD towards Ballyboughal?

This one possibly:

https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/1127635561361985536

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, at least one person from this parish was on that, from what i can see on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dublin Fire Brigade annual sportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Ah, got it, cool. Nice to see a few out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

If you are out for a spin, do you salute/acknowledge a cyclist passing on the opposite side of the road? I as a rule always do but yesterday I met 10 fellow cyclists and the only one to return the gesture was an old lady with a front basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

statto25 wrote: »
    If you are out for a spin, do you salute/acknowledge a cyclist passing on the opposite side of the road? I as a rule always do but yesterday I met 10 fellow cyclists and the only one to return the gesture was an old lady with a front basket.

Totally depends on the quality of their sock game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I've been leafletting locally for Wednesday evening's cycle to the Dail (meeting at the National Gallery on the Merrion Square side at 5.15), and have decided that riding bicycles is infectious. There are whole long stretches of houses (for instance on Kimmage Road Lower) where you don't see any bicycles in gardens, and other stretches where you see bikes tied to railings in virtually every garden, and bunches of them with bike sheds (usually http://bikeshel.com/ ones). One road I was on had something like 18 bike houses out of 23 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Just checked your Strava ride - yup that was it.

(You could have taken in Ducky Rooney's Lane today also. When you crossed the R132, and turned right at Hedgestown School, if you had turned left instead it would bring you up it.)

Ehh thanks:D Took this road this morning, nice climb but by god it just keeps biting:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Always give a wave or a hand lifted off the bars going by

Anyone doing the Wicklow Mountains Cycle Challenge on Sat? Haven't done a sportive yet but was it was recommended to me today and am really interested.
    https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/2019WicklowMountainsCycleChallenge

101km with 1500m climbing, Sally Gap, Shay Elliot and Slieve Mann
    Did a 91km 1300m climbing cycle on Saturday so I feel like I'd be able for it, haven't gone near the Shay Elliot or the Slieve Mann side of Wicklow yet.

Anyone do it previous years? Would love to hear some feedback

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the reaction you get is usually very dependent on where you are (as in whether you're outside commuting routes or not).
    in dubliin, inside the M50 you wouldn't see much response to a wave. once you start passing leisure cyclists you get much more of a chance of getting a hello, or of one returned.

something i'd not seen before - on the way home in the car earlier, we were coming down ballymun road, and stopped at the junction where collins avenue/glasnevin avenue crosses it. another car had stopped in front of us, but at the far set of lights.
    as in on a junction like that, there are lights on each corner, so there's a light alongside the stop line you stop at. there's another set of lights on the far side of the junction displaying the same signal. whoever was driving this car had stopped at this second set, so arse out in the junction.
    usually when i see weirdness like that i put it down to someone having just gotten into a rental car in the airport and still trying to get used to irish roads. i just wonder if in this case, was it someone with a much stricter adherence to lights than we irish have.

I get that regularly at a near by T-junction. Someone turning right off the T with a green and me waiting to cross on foot, as they turn and get the pedestrian lights they'll be seeing a red in front of them which would be for traffic coming from what would have been their left now behind. It's comical standing there and pointing to the red man and waving them through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I just stay well back from people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We had our club sportive yesterday. I was driving the lead car for one of the groups. Some eejit took issue with us being on the road. Not sure if there was any confrontation with any of the riders at the back of the group but when he was overtaking he had the windows down Effin and blinding as he went. Then pulled in front of me and stopped on the road. Two of our cycle marshals and the motorcycle marshals tried to calm him down and get him out of our way.

I had to call the cops. Eventually they calmed him down enough to move the car over to the side of the road. Then he kicked off again. We got going again while they waited for the guards. They calmed down before they got there and continued on but then he was behind us again. Thankfully he passed again with out incident. The guards radioed ahead to a Hurd that was manning a junction up the road to have a word, but he never made sit that far. Must have turned off in between. Some seriously odd people out there.

Probably been posted before but was new to me. Came across this account when looking at the comments in a Garda tweet.

https://twitter.com/carsowntheroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a son that insists he can ride without stabilisers, but can't, so I may try this.

480218.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

something i'd not seen before - on the way home in the car earlier, we were coming down ballymun road, and stopped at the junction where collins avenue/glasnevin avenue crosses it. another car had stopped in front of us, but at the far set of lights.
    as in on a junction like that, there are lights on each corner, so there's a light alongside the stop line you stop at. there's another set of lights on the far side of the junction displaying the same signal. whoever was driving this car had stopped at this second set, so arse out in the junction.
    usually when i see weirdness like that i put it down to someone having just gotten into a rental car in the airport and still trying to get used to irish roads. i just wonder if in this case, was it someone with a much stricter adherence to lights than we irish have.

As seen here, many countries only have a traffic light on the road to which it applies and from the centre of the junction, there are none visible at all. This removes all the confusion: If you see a red light in front of you, you stop. Once you've crossed the stop line, there is no traffic light to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Probably been posted before but was new to me. Came across this account when looking at the comments in a Garda tweet.

https://twitter.com/carsowntheroad

That's fairly funny! I was bracing myself to read a lot of crap

That's fairly funny! I was bracing myself to read a lot of crap

I quite liked the "cycling two and three abreast, taking up the whole road and blocking traffic!" one :D

whoops, i think i just got someone in trouble. passing the local spar, there was a grab truck parked half on the footpath, half in the cycle lane, but as i passed, i spotted that the rear tyres were essentially bald.
    coming out of that spar at that very moment was a garda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

whoops, i think i just got someone in trouble. passing the local spar, there was a grab truck parked half on the footpath, half in the cycle lane, but as i passed, i spotted that the rear tyres were essentially bald.
    coming out of that spar at that very moment was a garda.

When the truck is fully loaded and his braking stops short at a junction where a kid is crossing, you can be glad you potentially have saved a life and have only cost the driver a fine and a court date rather than having to live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ 2pts and €80 FCPN, no court unless the member wants to go for dangerously defective which I suspect they wouldn't.

i was wondering what penalty there might be levied on the business who own the truck. i suspect there are many businesses who would be happy to tell an employee to walk (in the literal and figurative sense) if the employee said 'i'm not driving that truck as i'll get points if i'm caught'.

i suspect no penalty would be imposed on the business, but there should be. the fleet manager should be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i was wondering what penalty there might be levied on the business who own the truck. i suspect there are many businesses who would be happy to tell an employee to walk (in the literal and figurative sense) if the employee said 'i'm not driving that truck as i'll get points if i'm caught'.

i suspect no penalty would be imposed on the business, but there should be. the fleet manager should be held responsible.

Bald tyres infuriate me, it's the only part of the vehicle that touches the road (unless you have a 'felt spec VW then your sump also touches the road). I see so many cars in traffic with bald tyres when stopped at lights.

Currently sitting at my desk, can't wait to get out cycling after work, my legs are already rotating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2hrs on the turbo awaits me after work, lunatic traffic between my free hours so best do specific work on the turbo.

The forecast for the days ahead looks generally okay so we should gt plenty km's in.

Advertisement