Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I just received information from a close source,
    the Mother
    , that bus stops are in the process of being installed on Fortunestown Way, i.e. the new 175 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

I take it there will be paper timetables available for when Go Ahead take over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Qrt wrote: »
    I just received information from a close source,
    the Mother
    , that bus stops are in the process of being installed on Fortunestown Way, i.e. the new 175 route.

Any idea what kind of stops they are out of interest? Although I doubt your inside source got too technical on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

john boye wrote: »
    Any idea what kind of stops they are out of interest? Although I doubt your inside source got too technical on them!

Most likely silver type pole with info board as what is meant to be across the board

They will most likely fix pavement and fit pole anchor in ground then come back at a later date to fit.

Not sure, I'm abroad for the summer so it's just what my source is telling me. My source mentioned that they had "wheelchair ramps".

The road is due to lose its service under BusConnects which is ****e considering it's just getting this. I'll be lobbying the NTA to extend the proposed very short Rathcoole/Saggart Luas local bus to The Sq via this alignment. Anyway, this isn't the BusConnects thread so I'll park this here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Most likely silver type pole with info board as what is meant to be across the board

They will most likely fix pavement and fit pole anchor in ground then come back at a later date to fit.

I noticed stop 3129 on the N11 in Cabinteely which serves DB route 145 and soon to be GAI route 63 got a new shelter installed. The new shelter has no DB branding or timetable posted so it will probably get TFI branding in due course I assume. The new JCDecaux shelter design looks well, I have to say they look a lot more sturdy than Adshel designs and more vandal proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I noticed stop 3129 on the N11 in Cabinteely which serves DB route 145 and soon to be GAI route 63 got a new shelter installed. The new shelter has no DB branding or timetable posted so it will probably get TFI branding in due course I assume. The new JCDecaux shelter design looks well, I have to say they look a lot more sturdy than Adshel designs and more vandal proof.

It's amazing the they way they can find money to do stuff for a new company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tickityboo wrote: »
    It's amazing the they way they can find money to do stuff for a new company!!

But,it's not for a new company...all Bus Stop infrastructure is now NTA responsibility...so it's for themselves.

Currently,there are new Bus Stop mountings being replaced/installed all over the City,particularly where Routes are due to be withdrawn under Busconnects... :(:confused::confused::confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Does the canopy extend out far enough so you might actually stay dry in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw some of the new 182 reg'd GAI double deckers carrying out more route training in Dun Laoghaire yesterday. The blue livery when I looked at them up close looks great as it looks really smart on them. There was one thing that I noticed on these new buses is that when they are Not in Service; I have seen that their signs are formatted like the route displays from Dublin Bus. Some of the old GT's displays that were from Dublin Bus have it reformatted to say Not in Service on the top with As Sherbhís on the bottom. One of the Mercedes training buses was out in Dun Laoghaire doing their route training yesterday. I seen it going down Marine Road while in Eason's yesterday. The training livery looks very nice on them.

All of the buses that I saw while out yesterday had included a driver & training instructors on the inside carrying out driving instructors. I don't know how many buses were out as I saw the 182 reg'd buses 3 times & the Mercedes training bus once. Are these buses doing specific route training when departing from Dun Laoghaire?

I have heard some more info about GAI while reading Buses magazine yesterday.

The 175 route will have a PVR allocation of 6 vehicles when it launches on the 9th of September.

The 59 & 111 will both revert back to single deck operation with the Streetlites when GAI begins their service from the 7th of October.

GAI have 10 Mercedes training buses in their fleet & 1 Dennis Trident bus that is loaned to them from a company in Rathcoole for driver training.

• Advertisement

I saw some of the new 182 reg'd GAI double deckers carrying out more route training in Dun Laoghaire yesterday. The blue livery when I looked at them up close looks great as it looks really smart on them. There was one thing that I noticed on these new buses is that when they are Not in Service; I have seen that their signs are formatted like the route displays from Dublin Bus. Some of the old GT's displays that were from Dublin Bus have it reformatted to say Not in Service on the top with As Sherbhís on the bottom. One of the Mercedes training buses was out in Dun Laoghaire doing their route training yesterday. I seen it going down Marine Road while in Eason's yesterday. The training livery looks very nice on them.

All of the buses that I saw while out yesterday had included a driver & training instructors on the inside carrying out driving instructors. I don't know how many buses were out as I saw the 182 reg'd buses 3 times & the Mercedes training bus once. Are these buses doing specific route training when departing from Dun Laoghaire?

I have heard some more info about GAI while reading Buses magazine yesterday.

The 175 route will have a PVR allocation of 6 vehicles when it launches on the 9th of September.

The 59 & 111 will both revert back to single deck operation with the Streetlites when GAI begins their service from the 7th of October.

GAI have 10 Mercedes training buses in their fleet & 1 Dennis Trident bus that is loaned to them from a company in Rathcoole for driver training.

I saw one in Monkstown Farm the other day so I assume that was doing 63 training. I think the 182 buses are doing route training and driver familarisation while the Merc Citaros are doing training for drivers who don't have a D licence yet. I wonder how many bites of the cherry GAI are giving drivers who their D test. I also noticed some of the GAI buses I've seen were displaying the standard "Sorry - Not in Service" and "Entering Service" so not all are displaying "Not in Service".

If 6 buses are being allocated to the 175 what kind of frequency can we expect to get I assume it will be somewhere along the lines of every 20-30 mins. I would think it would have been better to extend the 175 to Blackrock DART as this would boost the 17 between Blackrock and UCD. Altough the terminus there is tight so I think more work will need to be done especially as Bus Connects is looking at terminating 4 bus routes there all at a frequency of every 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Hope they're spreading the training out across all those SGs and keeping them ticking over otherwise they'll have fierce problems with them when they go into service. Incidentally, I wonder what routes will get the new deckers? Suspect the 175 will and maybe the 75 but outside of those I couldn't say.

Hope they're spreading the training out across all those SGs and keeping them ticking over otherwise they'll have fierce problems with them when they go into service. Incidentally, I wonder what routes will get the new deckers? Suspect the 175 will and maybe the 75 but outside of those I couldn't say.

I would say they'd be going to the busier and more frequent routes they got such as the 17, 17a, 18, 75 and the 175. The other routes will probably be a mixture of SGs, GTs and Streetlites with the new buses appearing there from time to time also.

The 59 and the 111 will be solely operated by Streetlites by the sounds of things but I'd say we'll also see them on the likes of the 63, 114, 185, 220, 238, 239 and 270 will also get a Streetlite allocation. It's an improvement for these services as they are all mostly operated by older buses such as AV/X's, VG's and EV's at the moment with DB SO EVEN GT's and older SG's will be an improvement.

Anyone what's the story with the new 1xxx numbering system is it an NTA system or a GAI system?

About the 185. It needs to be split up into two or three separate routes with separate timetables out of all DB routes the timetable is currently a mess with loads of different variations which is very confusing.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/185-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I have seen GA buses around Finglas, Charlestown Shopping Centre bus terminus.

Churchtown today seen them.

Churchtown today seen them.

I have already seen 4 or 5 now around DL

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Db driver shaking his head at me for using an X route for a 5 minute journey.
    Im sure Go Ahead will appreciate the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Db driver shaking his head at me for using an X route for a 5 minute journey.
    Im sure Go Ahead will appreciate the business.

Short hop journeys on long X routes can cause people living far out to be left behind with a long wait for the next service. They also slow up the service with extra stops in areas where other high frequency routes are available.

IMO these routes should be pick-up only outbound until past the regular high frequency routes.

GA's only business is with the NTA, they will have no financial benefit in the numbers carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I thought the 185 was not meant to officially changeover to GAI until the DL routes & the 184 from the 7th of October. There are no updates available on GAI's website or Twitter account so far to say that they will begin to operate it from September. Does anyone have proof of these letters to say when the 185 will start in September?

I don't really buy the idea that the 185 will have it's route partly chopped off because GAI have said that when they got the routes from the tender; they are providing expanded services in route mileage on about a 1/3 of their acquired routes from DB. If routes in GAI were somehow being given reduced service as a way of sacrificing themselves for expanded routes elsewhere in their network well that could become a farcical joke among people who would use these routes for day to day usage.

The 175 is getting a PVR of six buses allocated to it. That I feel is a sensible allocation because of the size of the fleet that is currently available to GAI.

I really don't know what the issue is with the 185 going up to Shop River when run from Enniskerry Village when DB knowingly run nearly all types of their bus fleet to the terminus without any known issues. The bus fleet in GA realistically should not have any problems with their buses going to up to Shop River.

Let me ask you this? Would GAI have a potential shortage of buses for the 185 going up to Shop River while running their own routes in their own network elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Re-Reg troll banned for what must be about the 10th time in recent times.

Again a reminder to report posts where you suspect trolling rather than confronting them.

What should be done with the 185 is it should be split up into 3 separate routes to prevent the issues with the timetable. It should be remembered the 85 to allow for the following alpha suffixes.

It should be as follows

85- Bray to Shop River/Powerscourt

85a- Bray to Palermo

85b- Bray to Palermo via Fassaroe

All the timetables should be interworked and easy to understand it would be a simple solution really and prevent a lot of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

85b- Bray to Palermo via Fassaroe

The 185 has not served Fassaroe since 2012. The change was never removed from the timetable.

The 185 needs a much clearer timetable, something which will hopefully happen soon. The above rumoured removal of this service from Shop River would be a big loss to those in the Kilgarron and Kilmolin areas.

KD345 wrote: »
    The 185 has not served Fassaroe since 2012. The change was never removed from the timetable.

The 185 needs a much clearer timetable, something which will hopefully happen soon. The above rumoured removal of this service from Shop River would be a big loss to those in the Kilgarron and Kilmolin areas.

Just judging by the timetable how many departures actually go to Shop River from Bray. It appears there's a big gap between 08:45 and 18:45. Why is Shop River even supposed "destination" of this when appears most journies don't even go there at all.

The Bus Connects document says it's considering different options for services West of Enniskerry so perhaps that void could be served by a local link service with an improved timetable on what's currently in place.

Just judging by the timetable how many departures actually go to Shop River from Bray. It appears there's a big gap between 08:45 and 18:45. Why is Shop River even supposed "destination" of this when appears most journies don't even go there at all.

The Bus Connects document says it's considering different options for services West of Enniskerry so perhaps that void could be served by a local link service with an improved timetable on what's currently in place.

This is likely as you may see a Palermo service.

There still is a 185 going up/down shopriver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The stops for new route 175 can be found here:
    https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

Just type 175 into the box, select the service, select inbount or outbound and show on map.

devnull wrote: »
    The stops for new route 175 can be found here:
    https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

Just type 175 into the box, select the service, select inbount or outbound and show on map.

Great news. It's kinda insane how a bus like this hasn't existed already. But as I've mentioned before, considering this route is due to be pulled under BusConnects, some very stern submissions shall be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There is roughly one bus an hour to Shop River, about 16 buses per day. There is no gap as the timetable suggests. The buses marked as “c to Powerscourt” should say via Powerscourt, as they all terminate at Shop River.

The timetable is very confusing and needs to be tidied up. It has been like this for years.

sugarman wrote: »
    Exactly, hardly worth having for little over a year.

EDIT: Although looking at the Bus Connects map, it looks like the S8 will feed the same areas of the 175 as far as Stillorgan where you can then change to an E1/2 Spine route to UCD. It just wont serve Dundrum anymore which will be the bigger complaint, but I can see it being a quicker route to UCD.

The S6/7 from Blackrock will run via UCD and continue to The Square via Dundrum every 15 mins.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Exactly, hardly worth having for little over a year.

EDIT: Although looking at the Bus Connects map, it looks like the S8 will feed the same areas of the 175 as far as Stillorgan where you can then change to an E1/2 Spine route to UCD. It just wont serve Dundrum anymore which will be the bigger complaint, but I can see it being a quicker route to UCD.

I'm more interested in the Tallaght end. I've a they've placed/are placing six to eight new stops along a road that has never had a bus before. It's kinda insane.

Advertisement