Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have a box spanner, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Thanks for the replies folks. Its a black matt finish with gloss lettering, and some gloss on the top tube and fork (emonda sl7 is the bike).
    I usually just use some degreaser on the frame and then wash with warm water and dry off.
    Gloss paint i have used some muc off silicone shine before.
    I think i will just water, touch of degreaser and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...at least one seized Allen bolt holding the cage on.

If you can get two bolts out that are opposite each other, you can then swivel the cage which will clear it out of the way for a socket to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

burger1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks. Its a black matt finish with gloss lettering, and some gloss on the top tube and fork (emonda sl7 is the bike).
    I usually just use some degreaser on the frame and then wash with warm water and dry off.
    Gloss paint i have used some muc off silicone shine before.
    I think i will just water, touch of degreaser and see how it goes.

Matte black's a different story, you're probably never going to see any slight discolouring in the paint with the black finish. I've a matte black Ribble and it looks clean with just a quick wipe. One of the other bikes is a matte primer grey and very difficult to clean properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a matte black carbon bike and i've never done anything with it but soap and water and a rinse and wipe down with a dry rag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi there.First time posting in this forum.
    Im hoping that someone can help me with this.Took out my bicycle after it sitting in the garage for nearly a year and found this broken.
    Has anyone any idea what type of rear gear dropout this is.
    I need to order one or would anyone know of any shops open that I can pick one up?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

What make/model of bike is it?

There are literally hundreds of different gear hangers - take a look on here or here and work out which one you need (in the links, I have narrowed it down to single-bolt mount ones already).

Looks like it might be GH-11 or GH-22 or wheels 25, but cross reference by looking at both sides of your hanger and seeing where the thick/thin bits are, and you can also confirm by searching by Bike Brand on both sites.

Your LBS might have the one you need in stock (it looks like one of the more common ones), but it might take a day or so if they don't. If you confirm which one you need, you can call around and ask for it by number (most shops buy the Union ones - the GH-nn series).

Be sure before ordering - many of them look the same/similar, but the exact outer shape and/or positioning of the bolt hole(s) can vary, meaning it's like having a jigsaw piece that almost fits...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Plastik wrote: »
    What make/model of bike is it?

I haven't a clue.Its been painted since I got it. Im not a big cyclist and only use it in the summer.

Type 17 wrote: »
    There are literally hundreds of different gear hangers - take a look on here or here and work out which one you need (in the links, I have narrowed it down to single-bolt mount ones already).

Looks like it might be GH-11 or GH-22 or wheels 25, but cross reference by looking at both sides of your hanger and seeing where the thick/thin bits are, and you can also confirm by searching by Bike Brand on both sites.

Your LBS might have the one you need in stock (it looks like one of the more common ones), but it might take a day or so if they don't. If you confirm which one you need, you can call around and ask for it by number (most shops buy the Union ones - the GH-nn series).

Be sure before ordering - many of them look the same/similar, but the exact outer shape and/or positioning of the bolt hole(s) can vary, meaning it's like having a jigsaw piece that almost fits...

It looks like a gh22 to me.
    Ive attached a couple of better pics.

BTW thanks for all the help.

Yes, I agree, it's almost certainly a GH-22

Give your LBS a call and ask if they have it in stock (if they stock Wheels hangers, it's the no.38)

PS: out of interest, check out how similar the GH-18 and Wheels 108 ones are (but it's definitely not them).

• Advertisement

Thanks all. My local shop is closed (Maynooth cycles) Anyone know of anywhere else open?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Altitude in Waterford are doing mail order.

They stock (or can get) the union hangers - I used to be a mechanic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Before I throw the bike up on the rack, any ideas as to why my front mechanical disc brake would squeal when steering left, but not when steering right.

This is all at very low speed

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

cletus wrote: »
    Before I throw the bike up on the rack, any ideas as to why my front mechanical disc brake would squeal when steering left, but not when steering right.

This is all at very low speed

Is the cable catching and actually being pulled when you steer left, activating the brake enough to lightly push the pad against the disc, just enough to create noise/friction?

Loose axle/cones/skewer?

Thanks folks, something to think about when I start looking later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Due to a massive amount of lockdown boredom, I decided to give the commuter/winter bike a good clean, service and general overhaul.

While removing the chain set, the bottom bracket (BBR60) partially disintegrated. Pain in the ass I thought as it’s been there for over 25,000km. I dug out the spare one I had and went to remove the old one.

Not a budge. Nothing. So I got the length of pipe out. Disaster. The gripper teeth on the wee plastic thing just stripped. Now I’m sure the plastic thing isn’t really designed to remove a well aged BB but it was all I had. And now I’m stuck with the LBS closed. I’m not an essential worker so I’m not even gonna ask them. I won’t be using the bike until I’m back in work so it’s by no means an emergency but it is a head wreck.

Any magic solutions? I’ve no bench vise or even vise grips.

I’d new shift cables, bar tape, brake pads and chain ready to fit which would have relieved me of boredom for a couple of afternoons.

Is it possible to buy a Shimano tool that fits directly onto the BB? The replacement BB (BB9000) uses a different size plastic adapter.

In the meantime I have two other bikes to clean and service so that’ll get me to the weekend.

Apologies for the long post.....

Could you take a picture of the BB. Or a couple of them

cletus wrote: »
    Could you take a picture of the BB. Or a couple of them

Here you go.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I’m not an essential worker so I’m not even gonna ask them.
    why not? they might be glad of the business.

• Advertisement

worth mentioning - had a similar BB replaced in my LBS last year, the factory fitted one, and they were telling me in the shop when i picked up the bike that it took two of them with an extra long wrench to get the old one off.
    there was some comment about the chap in the factory who puts them in never having to worry about taking them out.

why not? they might be glad of the business.

Their website states that they are closed and are only carrying out emergency repairs for essential workers by prior arrangement. That’s OK. I can wait if I have to.

As for how tightly it was installed - I only have myself to blame.

Looks like this Park Tool one fits.

It's widely available online for about €25

Type 17 wrote: »
    Looks like this Park Tool one fits.

It's widely available online for about €25

Nice one. I think I’ll order that even if it’s something I’ll just use once.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Is it because you have the wrong tool? Is it because you tightened too much ?or is it because you didn't put any grease or too much threadlocker in when you installed it?

You could try heating the threads with a lighter/ hairdryer to make it come off easier although be careful of the paint.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Is it because you have the wrong tool? Is it because you tightened too much ?or is it because you didn't put any grease or too much threadlocker in when you installed it?

You could try heating the threads with a lighter/ hairdryer to make it come off easier although be careful of the paint.
    The plastic adapter is damaged now so I don’t have any tool to attempt your suggestions.

I put grease on the threads but that was four years and over 25,000km ago. Maybe I tightened it too much. In any case, it’s still stuck/seized.

I’ll order the socket that Type 17 posted. That’s my best option at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Expert cycles are open and will do repair work.

saccades wrote: »

I’ll give them a call. Within my 2km.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to replace the headset on my Track Bike. Easy enough and can get it here: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/alpina-36x45-headset/

Anyone got recommendations for alternative brands, looking specifically for one that has a reputation for lasting a long time.

• Advertisement

saccades wrote: »

Sorted. Thanks.

Advertisement