Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YACC training thread

• 03-01-2017 11:25am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And here I am again. Things have taken a step back since I last posted in a training thread. Within the last month I have gained 5+kg, I no longer have any power in my legs, the cycle into work seems to be an arduous enough task. Range of excuses are available but none really cut the mustard. I got lazy and used any excuse given not to do anything over the last few months.

Diabetes has also taken quite a hit with an upward turn in my HbA1c and mild retinopathy in one eye.

Goals this year are simpler:

- get upgraded from Limit to Semi Limit in the Club League (then to beat daragh_ in one race)
    - drop back down to 80kg
    - get HbA1c down to under 7 by June
    - Newbridge GP 5th March
    - Stamullen GP 9th April
    - Frank O'Rourke 30th April
    - Paddy Flanagan Memorial 11th June
    - Christy McManus\Roundwood GP Bray Wheelers 17th June
    - Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorials 18th June

- National Road Race Championships – 2 Day Gorey Cycling Club - 24th June
    - Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day - 19th August
    - SERC GP South-East Road Club - 27th August
    - Laragh Classic 2nd September - Probably Marshalling

Definitely are in plain text and options are in italics

Commuting distance has doubled which should make training a bit easier

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I should also add on :
    Mick Byrne 200 - May 28th
    Eoin McLove 600 - 3rd June
    Evil 200 - 10th June
    Midlands 300 9th July
    National 400 August 6th
    YOLA 200 September 9th
    Dying Cow 200 September 16th

These are all provisional on free time and availability, and am not likely to make most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Goals this year are simpler:

- get upgraded from Limit to Semi Limit in the Club League (then to beat daragh_ in one race)

I'll do my best to help :D

First week over and not a great start. Had to stay at home to look after the family on Wednesday, which led to me becoming one of the infected by Thursday. It would sadly appear that I have gained weight since then.

Weight: 86.7kg
    Average BG: 12.2 mmol/L
    km's rode: 68.2km

Not a great start overall with my BG looking like this: 41 on target, 69 above target, 7 below target. The "Flu like" virus accounts for a good few of these but still not great. The software I use is not great though either and does not account for multiple tests in quick succession, so the readings are skewed upwards, trying to design my own to give a more suitable average average.

Second week over and an even worse week than the first. While not ill, I had something sitting on my chest that made breathing quite difficult. I ended up getting a lift in and out to work every day. As it turns out, I am an even more cantankerous bastard when I don't get any exercise. As such my work also suffered as I seem to do alot less (still cover the minimum) when I don't arrive in refreshed. It seems to have cleared up and I should be out alot more this week. Interestingly, the week off also has made me even more inflexible so I will probably be on the road bike more than the track bike as that is set up for racing.

Weight: 86.5kg (negligible change)
    Average BG: 11.7 mmol/L (down a bit but, again, negligible)
    km's rode: 0km (disappointing to say the least)

BG looking like this: 45 on target, 72 above target, 8 below target. Really need to ramp up the mileage and quickly for the 200km planned at the end of the month.

Mid week update. Had to put on chamois cream for the first time in years. I have been sweating buckets on the commute as I am dressing for winter but it is quite mild and while I am shedding clothes to get the right balance, I have not found it yet. Due to the generally unhealthy diet for the last while, it is very salty sweat and this is causing a bit of a sore in the nether regions. Caked with Sudocream last night and Chamois cream this morning. Hopefully it does not get any worse.
    I have found a fairly fit person to challenge me on the commute, who seems to take very similar commute times to me. I bonked yesterday morning and was worried I would not make it in without having to stop. Luckily he skimmed by me and I got a shot of Adrenaline. I didn't catch him but I did stay within 20metres of him the whole way in. On the way home we crossed paths again half way home. He caught me on an uphill (although to be honest, I had not seen him yet) and scared the **** out of me as when i looked around he was close and the lights for some reason looked green instead of white, a trick of the eyes I presume.
    Down a bit of weight this week already but I presume that is mainly water/sweat rather than real weight loss.

• Advertisement

Third week over and I have started to edge up the mileage but still well below what I used to do. Blood sugars were alot better until Saturday/Sunday when they ceased to cooperate at all, and dragged my average up quite a bit with a run of readings in the high 20s. Finally got my inner chainring sorted so can start spinning a bit more on the way to work. Looking at my stats this week, the big issue other than my lack of fitness is my diet. Feeling quite down about my weight as while I am not overweight, a large amount of my clothes no longer fit me or are extremely uncomfortable.

Weight: 87kg (up 0.5kg)
    Average BG: 11.2 mmol/L (down a bit but, should have been better)
    km's rode: 151.5km (better but should have been north of 200km)

BG looking like this: 46 on target, 65 above target, 3 below target. So despite the averages, the BG levels are improving which is good. After today I am going to start taking the longer route into work and spinning alot more. The other thing is to start looking at my diet as normally I drop weight quite quickly, so I want to assess why I am seeing no change this year at all (so far).

Side note, Garmin claim my max HRM is 231bpm. Finding that a bit hard to believe.

After 2 good days with watching what I eat. nothing crazy, just cutting down on the random eating I have been doing, I cracked last night at about 1 in the morning and got up to have popcorn with melted cheese. All in all still far less going in than the week before but by christ, when the cravings hit you it is hard to resist.

Fourth week over. Mileage has been upped and the legs are sore but not as bad as expected. Went for my first long spin in a few years and got around OK (although I did get lost a few times). Chain dried out on the way around and made the most awful noise but other than that it was a good stretch of the legs. Sadly, no weight loss but a noticeable improvement in general fitness. Changing the diet seems to have done nothing though, I am just hungry all the time now, so not sure if I am tackling it right.

Weight: 87kg (same as last week)
    Average BG: 10.2 mmol/L (down a bit again, a string of high sugars on Friday night have skewed it high again though)
    km's rode: 361km (broke the 200km, hooray)

BG looking like this: 66 on target, 57 above target, 11 below target. More on target, less above, so all in all, quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

popcorn with melted cheese. .

I will have to investigate this further...

I will have to investigate this further...

Not a popcorn fan but have to say, a few slices of good quality cheddar draped across a bowl of popcorn and then either a few minutes in an oven or 20 seconds in a microwave, glorious. Start eating while the cheese is still warm and gooey, you will get balls of cheese goo and popcorn and the fats from the cheese will flavour the popcorn underneath anyway, even if it doesn't penetrate the entire bowl.

• Advertisement

Fifth week over. Mileage has dropped significantly, although the few times I did get out, it was more fun and I felt fitter. My thighs are currently like tree trunks, so while I look a little slimmer, I actually cannot fit in a lot of trousers due to thigh size rather than waist size now.

Weight: 86kg (slightly lower)
    Average BG: 10.3 mmol/L (slightly higher but my son ripped out my pump on Sunday which lead to high BG for most of the day)
    km's rode: 88km (lower but more enjoyable)

BG looking like this: 51 on target, 72 above target, 8 below target. Improving

So on Tuesday morning I woke up with pains in my Quadriceps, and my legs were sore to the touch. Standing up my legs would lock out backwards and when I did walk it looked like I was Vince McMahon from WWF as I sort of strutted with out properly bending my knees.

Wednesday came with a bit of improvement, I could walk but it took mental effort to focus on putting my feet down flat and I even half fell over once or twice when not concentrating. Thursday brought great improvements whereby I can now walk properly again although my legs are still a tiny bit sore (but not overly). I had ridden my track bike on Monday and I thought maybe I messed up pushing it home with the high gearing, although this had not happened before.

As I wake up tonight, drenched in sweat, I realise what has happened. Night time hypoglycaemia. Not sure how long it has been going on for but it looks like I am getting hit with really bad hypos early in the night. Not sure if this incorrect dosing for night time food or an issue with my basal rates. I am now more than ever looking forward to getting the Libre for trend monitoring though.

Sixth week over. Tired this week due to more travelling than usual,my BG levels are higher and I am quite cranky. Hopefully this week will be better

Weight: 85kg (slightly lower again)
    Average BG: 11.8 mmol/L (slightly higher, not happy with that)
    km's rode: 88km

BG looking like this: 39 on target, 53 above target, 5 below target. Not great overall and going against the trend so far. Machine brike so I ended up with no BG fr two days, hence the reduction in tests, and then tiredness due to travel, meant my levels were elevated (normal hormonal response to get you to sleep).

Taken from this post here:, I thought this was more suited to my training thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102638336&postcount=5871
    nee wrote: »
    Correct procedure!

As it turns out, it was today and not yesterday so I rocked past and there was no one there and I hoped up for a spin in my shirt and trousers. Then a guy walks over and says would you like a go, so I gave it socks for about 20seconds before I lost all energy and just spun slowly for another 40 seconds. He said no one else had signed up and to rock back in an hour. I rocked back to see a queue of young, athletic men going hell for leather. So I asked what the story was. Apparently some guy called James and myself were joint first. I waited round for 10 minutes and no one came near us.

After a bit of discussion, we agreed on most distance covered in 2 minutes rather than one. I lost the toss and went first. In the first minute I went faster than my first attempt by 150m, and went onto almost double that by the end of the second minute, falling shy of being double by a few metres. In rocks James, who gets up and goes at a steadier pace, looking at distance covered I am slightly ahead at the end of the first minute but he is catching and has inched a head a few seconds later. My heart is pumping, and then it happened, he started to fade, and fast. I am getting giddy. Then he gets the head down, and reaches for the centre. NOOOOOOO. These exercise bikes, despite what the organiser said, have gears. He drops a few and his legs take off. He starts catching me, behind where I was by a few metres at 20 seconds, level to me at 10 seconds, 3 seconds left and he overtakes, beating me by a few metres.

He is a really nice guy but I can't help but feel if I held my resolve, I could have taken him, I was able to walk off, I tell myself he struggled but he didn't.

Turns out it is James Davenport (A1 rider for velo club revolution). I just want to point out, I have never even finished in the bunch on an A4 race. According to the bike my wattage maxed out at over 700W for 20seconds and never dropped below 400W for the 2 minutes. I don't know what that means as I have not measured my wattage for 5 years but I damn well pleased that I was beaten by an A1 rider.

This said I am also horribly disheartened by the fact that I feel I could have taken him in a one on one or he went first, targets are easier to beat than set. Thankfully as an A1 rider (him not me), I will never see him in a racing scenario to prove me wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Awww so close!
    Also kind of awesome to be you right now/sucks to be him - pity you can't just apply for any grade of license anymore.

I feel for you with the loss of the bike. I was certain you'd win!

You were robbed! Demand a rematch! (Great Job Boss!)

daragh_ wrote: »
    You were robbed! Demand a rematch! (Great Job Boss!)

I don't know why, as he is A1 and I am A4 but I really feel annoyed with myself, I know I could have taken him. I didn't change gears, was wearing regular clothes but far more importantly, i think I just psyched myself out and could have given far more in the second minute.

That will not happen again, hammer it until I vomit the next time. Mentally weak rather than physically weak at the minute. Which is actually more upsetting.

I don't know why, as he is A1 and I am A4 but I really feel annoyed with myself, I know I could have taken him. I didn't change gears, was wearing regular clothes but far more importantly, i think I just psyched myself out and could have given far more in the second minute.

That will not happen again, hammer it until I vomit the next time. Mentally weak rather than physically weak at the minute. Which is actually more upsetting.

It's worth remembering that our current Club Goldsprints Champion doesn't race at all and beat the pants off a bunch of A1, A2 and A3 riders at our annual shindig. In jeans and a t-shirt. Not sure what the moral of that story is though.:roll eyes:

Please don't vomit on me in the League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not a popcorn fan but have to say, a few slices of good quality cheddar draped across a bowl of popcorn and then either a few minutes in an oven or 20 seconds in a microwave, glorious. Start eating while the cheese is still warm and gooey, you will get balls of cheese goo and popcorn and the fats from the cheese will flavour the popcorn underneath anyway, even if it doesn't penetrate the entire bowl.

Oh half a pound of butter does a great job on a bag of microwave popcorn *drools*

Seventh week over. I feel quite good this week. I have not been tracking my rides to measure speed etc. but have to say, overall, felt good whenever I was out. A few issues with my blood sugars, whereby they would not go down, regardless of bolus given, swapping pump locations etc. This was a bit of a bummer as I felt good other than the hyperglycaemia.

Weight: 84kg (down again)
    Average BG: 12.1 mmol/L (higher)
    km's rode: 120km

BG looking like this: 25 on target, 39 above target, 4 below target.

Overall looking at the numbers, it is a mixed bag this week. Weight is still heading downwards. The issue with this is with the high blood sugars over the week, is this a side effect of that or is it due to better eating habits? Hopefully an improvement in BG levels this week with a continuing downward trend in weight will answer that but I will have to wait and see.

Only two weeks away to my first race of the year, if I can hang in, just to get around with the group, I will be quite happy at this point. There is a race next weekend as well but not sure if I can make it. I did clean my bike this weekend though, not sure if that is preparation or idle hands.

Thinking also of starting some evening sessions on the rollers, will have to either design or steal a program to follow.

• Advertisement

Eighth week over. I feel OK this week. Legs seemed to be quite sore for the second half of the week although I was in flying form for the first half. Mentally prepping myself for my first race of the year but I woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, to realise I was having another hypoglyccaemic attack. Got sorted but never fell back to sleep right and woke with stomach pain shortly after, never to go back to sleep. I decided to leave it but with only an hour to go I had improved and decided, to hell with it, lets go.
    Got there, got prepped, and after the neutralised start, we took off at a blistering pace, with the guys at the front reporting repeated breaks tipping north of 50kmph in the first few km. I struggled from the off but every time the bunch started to split, I found the legs and jumped over. I counted at least four splits in the first four kilometers. At about 6km, coming round a long bend, I heard pops galore and only a few metres in front of me I seen the inevitable heap start. I was stuck in the middle and the heap was three bikes deep so I could not ride over or through and I had people on both sides so could not swerve. Managed to stop on the heap. The group was just splitting again and as i went to check on the rider on the ground beside me, I realised it was just going to b a training spin. Thankfully, the injuries, while not pretty, appeared minor, with just general scratches and road rash. Most people pulled themselves out quite quick, leaving three on the ground and me standing stuck in the middle. Alas for me it appeared my front tyre had spiked itself on a chainring. Big thanks for the tube and pump to the Everesting man. Got me home in one piece anyway.

Learned two things really quickly, one, way off the pace. Two, the number of severe hypoglycaemias I am having at night is frightening, the pain in my stomach would most likely turn out to be lack of water, which would explain the pain in my legs from the off. Alot to be learned. It turns out I don't have that killer instinct to ride on when someone falls, even though I know it is the right thing to do, to give space and clear the area.

I am sitting typing now as yet another hypo is why i am up at this time, so tomorrow will feel wonderful yet again, I have adjusted my basals to take care of this hopefully but it is really poor on my part that I am only seeing this pattern now.

Weight: 84kg
    Average BG: 10.1 mmol/L (lower)
    km's rode: 150km

BG looking like this: 37 on target, 38 above target, 9 below target.

Great improvement on the bloods with no weight gain as well. In fact I was lower than the 84kg for most of the week but I pigged out over the weekend. The bloods also improved dramatically, with most of the overs only being marginally over my threshold, and most of the hypos being only marginally below.

Currently wondering could I get out for the Newbridge GP next week.

So the week started OK on paper, excluding the night time hypoglycaemia, and the morning rebound (up at 29mmol/L) my bloods have been really good. My average is now below 10, including that bad one, my weight seems to be dropping again. That was until last night.

I had been struggling to do any training on my commute, not able to get the heart rate up, not able to get any speed, generally felling a bit lax. On the way home last night I finally found a bit of ooomph and started trying intervals. Sprinting on the quiet sections, hitting a target and then sitting back. HR was still not as high as I would have liked but my commute home was the fastest in awhile and I had a bit of speed. Then I got home, on top of my dinner, I could not resist the munchies, the hunger was unstoppable. I ate my lunch that I had prepared for today plus almost an entire packet of Chocolate Digestives (why are they not called Homewheat anymore?).

I am incredibly weak, I looked like a meth addict trying to find my next hit the way I was routing through that packet of biscuits.

- drop back down to 80kg
    - get HbA1c down to under 7 by June
    - Newbridge GP 5th March
    - Stamullen GP 9th April
    - Frank O'Rourke 30th April
    - Paddy Flanagan Memorial 11th June
    - Christy McManus\Roundwood GP Bray Wheelers 17th June
    - Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorials 18th June

- National Road Race Championships – 2 Day Gorey Cycling Club - 24th June
    - Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day - 19th August
    - SERC GP South-East Road Club - 27th August
    - Laragh Classic 2nd September - Probably Marshalling
    One off the list, headed out with A4 and the rain stopped just as the race prepped to roll out but I did arrive home looking like a competitor from the tour de flanders.
    Race started off at a more sedate pace than the last one but was still clipping along north of 40 for most of it. I started at the back without realising but bit by bit made my way up nearer the front, up into the top 20 for the climb. By the second climb it was strung out and I was in at no. 4. Not feeling great but I was able to dig in whenever the pace lifted, even taking the front now and again. Coming onto the second lap I was still in the top 10, then to realise we had lost the bunch, with about 15 to 20 of us away. We sat up a bit but when we realised they were catching us, we knuckled down and pulled away nicely before the climb. I was holding on but not as comfy as I had been on the first lap, I got caught taking a stretch on the front both before and onto the climb and stupidly plugged away. Still in the top 10 but as we came over it, they pulled away and by the top of the second climb, I was about 10seconds down but not losing time. Just before the finish line though, they started pulling away and I started to wonder was I being futile. Speed was north of 40kmph but not gaining. I could see one or two on the back also struggling. The chase group of 10 eventually caught me and I sat in to finish off the race, stupidly again took a few stints on the front and on the climbs again I started to slip back, losing the second group as we crested the second climb. I rolled in with my saviour from last week who got me home with his spare tube.

Overall, quite happy, I got around, pushed hard for bits. Exposed my tactical weaknesses but that's A4. Really need to knuckle down with the training though as well. I just missed that little jump when they pulled away and i really should not have been dropped so easily as I was not out of breath or tired. i think if I had had that little jump for when they rolled past, I would definitely have had a top 20 in me.

Away from racing for a few weeks now due to family commitment so really need to get the training down.

Ninth week over. Tried doing a bit of HIT training this week on the commute but it did not really take at all. Still could not get my heart or attitude to the right place. Went out and completed my first race of the season (post above). Realised after said post that my pump had run out of Insulin and the high blood sugars I had been experiencing all day were not from adrenaline, nerves or a spike due to sprinting (which I never managed, just sheer stupidity on my part). No night time hypos AFAIK, which is great, should be getting my continuous glucose monitor in T minus 7 days, so that will be interesting.

Weight: 83kg
    Average BG: 10.0 mmol/L
    km's rode: 210km

BG looking like this: 50 on target, 50 above target, 12 below target.

Another week of improvements on the bloods with no weight gain again. If I had not had the idiot moment yesterday, the average would have been below 10 so I am happy that we are getting there (although not happy how long it is taking). The weight is slowly getting there, June is not far away though so need to stay on top of that. Overall, not a bad week, but like always, could have been better.

Tenth week over. Got a bit of HIT training in this week on Monday through to Wednesday and it felt quite good. Slowed down drastically on the Friday though as I felt a bit pooped by it all. No racing this weekend due to family commitments and I went out socialising instead. I can honestly say, I think that is the end of booze for the rest of the season. I felt like someone had bludgeoned me with a claw hammer on Sunday morning even though I did not have that much to drink (in my opinion). HbA1c is down by 1mmol/L since I started tracking my progress here, from 9.3 to 8.3 in 3 months, and my new Libre reader gives a predicted HbA1c that if it continues, will bring it down to 7mmol/L inside of 3 months.

Average BG: 8.9 mmol/L
    km's rode: 190km

BG looking like this: 27 on target, 16 above target, 1 below target.

A bumpy road this week with bloods skyrocketing mid week but overall, another week of improvements. Weight has been constant which considering my lack of efforts in the second half of the week, is not the worst thing in the world.

Eleventh week over. No training at all this week, just the commute in and out of work but have to say, felt pretty great all week, decent speed with minimal effort, the good weather being the major difference this week. No booze for most of the week, may have also helped, and something I plan to continue, breaking fast for a glass of wine on Saturday. Now for the next addiction to crack, sugar. Having the continuous blood glucose monitor, it is horrifying what some of the treats I take do to my BG levels but I make no defence, I am an addict when it comes to cake, so this one will be a tough nut to crack but it may be the final bit I need to achieve my goals for the year.

Average BG: 10.1 mmol/L
    km's rode: 140km

BG looking like this: 26 on target, 34 above target, 3 below target.

Overall, disappointed with my average BG readings, as with the exception of one day, they have actually been really good. One night though they skyrocketed past 29, and remained above 20 most of the night, which has greatly skewed the average.
    Looks like the Stamullen GP is my next big day out on the bike, so will try and get plenty of training in over the next 3 weeks for it.

So I got my DEXA scan results back, so this is not a weekly review, just a summary of my results:

Total weight: 80.5kg
    Percentage body fat: 17.4%

First of all, great news, my scales is over estimating weight by about 5%, so I am already a lower body weight than I thought, although I will continue to use my own scales and I won't be making any corrective action for it's readings.
    Body fat% is not terrible by any stretch, in fact it is quite reasonable but I think it is fair to say in relation to my goals and my overall weight, it shows up that my aims are quite reasonable and achievable.

Twelfth week over. No training again, just the commute in and out of work. A few issues with unexpected blood sugars but nothing really to talk about. Done some resistance training as part of a study and have found that i have no arm strength at all. Still hurts a few days later but I have quite decent leg strength.

Weight: 82kg
    Average BG: 8.5mmol/L
    km's rode: 175km

BG looking like this: 24 on target, 18 above target, 6 below target.

Chainring issues means I will be back to the track bike this week, and until a replacement part comes in.

Thirteenth week over. No training again, even less commuting. Lost interest and took a lift on Friday, thank you wildcats, that will never happen again. On the track bike for the next while, while I wait for some parts to be checked and hopefully repaired on my other bike. I definitely have the gearing too high at the minute, so might change that down this evening. I really let myself slip this week and have lost all motivation, which is duly reflected in the data below

Weight: 84kg (first weight gain since I started)
    Average BG: 9.3mmol/L (first large junp)
    km's rode: 105km (first large drop in distance)

BG looking like this: 29 on target, 55 above target, 16 below target.

Horrendous control, and I feel ****ty and unfocused as it is simply a negative feedback loop. The worse I feel, the worse my control gets. The worse my control gets, the worse I feel and so on. Hopefully I can get out of the slump quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The worse I feel, the worse my control gets. The worse my control gets, the worse I feel and so on. Hopefully I can get out of the slump quickly.

I suspect this is a cycle most of us hit every now and again, I certainly do. Forecast is good for tomorrow with light winds coming from the south in the afternoon. Could be a good day to leave the Garmin at home, take a lazy, leisurely spin down the coast and enjoy the push home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement