Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Like many things, it depends on context.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

https://t.co/FUHeSmNTNX

I haven't registered with independent.ie, so I could only read the first paragraph, and it's by Ivan Yates, whom I don't really like, but I certainly agree with the sentiment of the start:
    We need to talk about Shane Ross, arguably the worst ever Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport.

(I think Minister for TT&S is a recent enough post, but he's certainly about as bad as it gets as far as ministers with responsibility for Transport go.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not directly cycling related but it will make accidental scrolls to the bottom of the page a bit more pleasant.

“Independent.ie Comments Facitlity

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Someone in REDACTED's office has a very well-developed sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

God cyclists must be a very violent bunch, literally up in arms over the cross-city restrictions:

http://www.98fm.com/Cyclists-Up-In-Arms-Over-Luas-Cross-City-Line

I mean, only a quote from the NTA and a councillor in the article, and no input from anyone this actually affects, but cyclists must surely be up in arms regardless, it's only to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

So 3 Million allocated for cycling in the Budget... and 414 million for roads

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Newstalk just having a laugh at the moment.

Ivan Yates promo: Breaking the law... not being held to account... Mamils, zipping down the road with no care... Yates: "They're terrorists! Terrorists on bikes!" ...Brought to you in association with the Mitsubishi SUV range.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

oflahero wrote: »
    Newstalk just having a laugh at the moment.

... Brought to you in association with the Mitsubishi SUV range.

Joking aside, the car industry's moolah, and the influence it buys, is an driver of car dependency, biasing transport discussion in favour of cars, and getting people up in arms against people who get in cars' way, including those who cycle.

If only we could get Trek and Giant to spend that kind of money...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MediaMan wrote: »
    Joking aside, the car industry's moolah, and the influence it buys, is an driver of car dependency, biasing transport discussion in favour of cars
    the car industry is certainly in interesting times at the moment too.
    last night, i heard a very anti-diesel ad - for lexus - in which they claimed every single car they now sell is hybrid. people are starting to get worried about PCP, and there are concerns over resale values of diesels already in ownership as more stories about diesels being restricted from cities in europe, keep popping up in the press.
    also, the rise of electric cars is starting to cause concerns for national grid operators, and the effective the simpler running gear has on the not insignificant economy based on car maintenance.

and that's without even going into autonomous cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The day autonomous vehicles become the norm will be a great moment for this country. The benefits will be humongous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

CramCycle wrote: »
    The day autonomous vehicles become the norm will be a great moment for this country. The benefits will be humongous.

Especially for the Healy-Rae dynasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

CramCycle wrote: »

I still cling to my theory that these self driving cars will have some kind of culture chip built into them where they are programmed to fit in with the country they are in at the time.

I'd guess the Irish chip would include inappropriate use of overtaking lanes on the motorway, wildly erratic use of roundabouts, and stopping in the middle of the main street and lashing on the hazards when they need to stop for 'just a minute' (go to the shops for half an hour). Other behaviour contenders for the chip would include driving much faster than is safe on windy twisty backroads (the car would 'know the road', naturally), heavy acceleration in 30km/h zones, letting the NCT go for a few extra months, fiddling their own motor tax, and switching off one headlight for that familiar cyclops effect.

Nobody else would be able to predict the movements of the self-drive cars if they merely stuck to the rules.

Any other suggestions for the localised self-drive car behaviour chip?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Double parking during mass times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

You'll never catch me driving an autonomous car, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Shane Ross posted this on FB.

To get our cities moving, we need more cycle lanes and more #cyclists.

This year, as part of the Capital Plan I am delighted to be in a position to be able to announce the provision of infrastructure to support safe and sustainable commuting by cycling or walking in urban areas to a value of €110 million over a period of 4 years #Budget18

IrishCycle.com Green Party Ireland Eamon Ryan

What's this... A positive proactive stance... Or looking like he's doing something....

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Grassey wrote: »
    Shane Ross posted this on FB.
    This year, as part of the Capital Plan I am delighted to be in a position to be able to announce the provision of infrastructure to support safe and sustainable commuting by cycling or walking in urban areas to a value of €110 million over a period of 4 years #Budget18

What's this... A positive proactive stance... Or looking like he's doing something....

Impossible to tell until his Dept tells us how they plan to spend the money. How much per year?, How much for dedicated segregated cycle ways?, How much for shared space with pedestrians, ie urban geenways? What about shared space with buses? Maybe it's all intended to buy red and white paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chiparus wrote: »

I would just sack the driver as it was no accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Chiparus wrote: »

Brilliant the comments on independent have been discontinued! We can read/watch without having road tax/red lights/helmets/high viz inflicted on us

Mr Halligan wants to visit North Korea along with two Independent Alliance colleagues – Minister for Transport Shane Ross and the Minister of State with Responsibility for Disabilities Finian McGrath.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1103/917218-halligan-korea/

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/926477019550048257

Minister for Interfering in Other People's Portfolios

• Hadn't seen this mentioned, 70 year old killed in Co. Meath :(

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/70-year-old-man-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-car-whil/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hadn't seen this mentioned, 70 year old killed in Co. Meath :(

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/70-year-old-man-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-car-whil/

It was posted in the chat thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105245431&postcount=8350

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

George Hook on BBCNI Stephen Nolan TV show just now, doing his frothing at the mouth anti cyclist schtick.

What.A.C**T.

That is all.

I wonder what size bra he was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hook could really do with getting out in the fresh air and cycling a bit. Would help his blood pressure no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

el tel wrote: »
    George Hook on BBCNI Stephen Nolan TV show just now, doing his frothing at the mouth anti cyclist schtick.

What.A.C**T.

That is all.
    The show had contacted some Dublin cycling groups/cyclists looking for 'people who have strong opinions' on cycling - so they just wanted to hype things up and have a big ol' fight. They didn't want to have any kind of sensible debate. The smart people said no.

Did George's record as a serial offender for speeding come up for discussion by any chance?

i note there was a cyclist critically injured in derry today, in an incident with a van. stickybottle have the story, with a photo from a tweet posted by the irish news of the scene; several replies to that tweet have urged that the photo be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i note there was a cyclist critically injured in derry today, in an incident with a van. stickybottle have the story, with a photo from a tweet posted by the irish news of the scene; several replies to that tweet have urged that the photo be taken down.

it really shows the force of such a collision, before you even think of the subsequent impact with the ground. fingers crossed for that poor cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

el tel wrote: »

What.A.C**T.

That is all.

Plus he pulled a Nazi salute too

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/11/16/wafflen-ss/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement