Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I have some shorts & long pants on the way from sports direct, but I cant seem to shake that teenager feeling of Mehhhhh, i just cant be arsed!

Clearly you need to buy a new bike then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This fixes all bike related problems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

my question is, does anyone who cycles regularly get the "I just couldnt be arsed" feeling and if so is it just a matter of getting on the bike or taking a break?

Yep, get this all the time. Best cure is getting on the bike, and for me going up a road I haven't been on in awhile. A bit of exploring off the beaten track is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

m,y BTW isnt due for 2 more years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

m,y BTW isnt due for 2 more years!

BTW won't cover what you need though :pac:

• Advertisement

back in the saddle this morning, usual 28.8 kms in 70 mins, 24.6 kmph average. a bit moist!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Cycled from Malahide to Drogheda. Didn't start too well, got a puncture. As I was changing tube a lad out with the kids asked me did I have everything I needed. I told him I did, he saw my pump and ordered me use of his track pump as he only lived up the road. I gladly excepted his offer. Cheered me right up.

So if the bloke is a boardsie, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Very rare midweek day off. 140km around South Dublin and Wicklow including Shay Elliot and Sliabh Mann from both sides. I had the Sally Gap all to myself, not another sinner in sight . Enjoyed a shandy in the GlenMalure Lodge as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Doc07 wrote: »
    Very rare midweek day off. 140km around South Dublin and Wicklow including Shat Elliot

Tough climb then?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Tough climb then?

Haha! Bloody iPhone!
    I didn't break any records on the climbs but I didn't have any 'accidents' either.

• Advertisement

a nice warm "swim" home yesterday, it pished down from the PP all the way to maynooth, a very odd experience occurred to me, I passed a fella (hello again, if you are on here) on a very nice felt roadbike just past leixlip confey, normally I am the one who gets passed!

home, hot shower and a bowl of homemade minestrone soup, happy wee chappie!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was a t a wedding at the weekend amd wasnt feeling great, so cried off going for a cycle yesterday and had a snack box instead...was debating doing the same thing today but forced myself to go out on the bike instead and go relatively balls out. Quick and dirty 30k up stocking lane, and shaved over a minute of my pb, well happy with that.

Bloody starving now though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/655577517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

After driving to Galway and back, a quick spin on the bike helped to clear the cobwebs. Another great evening - warm, dry, fairly still. Glasses/bug-shields totally necessary.

Deansgrange - Silver Tassie - Kilternan - Glencullen - Barrack Rd to Enniskerry (glad I was going down that hill, not up), then over Puck's Castle and back home via the park. 35k, average 22.4. Bike behaving perfectly - new saddle a thing of joy. Might be worth fitting brighter lights tho.

Went slightly off the beaten track last night, Ballyboden, Tibradden Lane, Tibradden Wood, Cruagh Wood, Cruagh Road and home. My very limited CX skills made me stop once I got to the rockier bit, must pick up an MTB bike at some point (and figure out how to smuggle it into the house unnoticed). A short spin at a slow pace, but all good fun and will probably add Massey's wood to the circuit next time.

392870.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Didn't get home till almost 7 last night, quick dinner and change.... was out the road when I realised I had no helmet on.... as wife slipped around to supermarket..I was locked out, no keys on board... managed to get her on phone to meet me in carpark...back to house ... anyways just did Kilnamanagh to blessington and straight back... 42km Avg 25.4kph. Light fading badly around 9ish now..:(

normal spin this morning, saw something that bates Banaher!, a numpty on the North Quays @ Croppy Park on a DB cycling whilst holding an umbrella! if only he had been on a unicycle juggling umbrellas!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Very greasy roads this morning in south Dublin. Had a skid and an almost fall over moment at an amber that I should have proceeded through. Pulled the rear brake and was surprised to lock it up, then pulled the front brake and had the same. Just about managed to stay upright.

tough slog home last nite, it seemed that the wind picked up more and more the nearer i got to home.
    To the numpty on the motorbike who decided to overtake the car that had overtaken me at the same time(must be been on the verge on the far side of the road just beofre westmanstown, you sir are a d1ckhead. the driver of the car luckliy for me was not a novice driver, it could have been nasty if the car driver had panicked because of the aforementioned numpty.

hope to get out over the weekend & get a 50-60 kms in to take me up to 1400 kms since May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Great cycle today, held up at least 15 cars for at least 10 minutes by cycling on the road instead of using the hard shoulder. muhahaha

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Great cycle today, held up at least 15 cars for at least 10 minutes by cycling on the road instead of using the hard shoulder. muhahaha
    bet your ears were burning with all of the at least 15 drivers wishing all sorts of missfortune on to you & yours, never mind the new names that you have been given!

there goes another at least 15 drivers that hate us!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Very greasy roads this morning in south Dublin. Had a skid and an almost fall over moment at an amber that I should have proceeded through. Pulled the rear brake and was surprised to lock it up, then pulled the front brake and had the same. Just about managed to stay upright.

I had a very short spin today to bring the bike to the shop, but I noticed two cars wheel-spinning when starting off form traffic lights, presumably because of greasy surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

100.71 km straight after work from Dawson street to Ballymoney, Wexford .
    Absolutely shattered I had two water bottles with some high 5 tabs in them, but still was struggling I really should have stopped for food. I had a back pack with around 5kg of stuff that might have made a difference.

Got soaked heading in to town this morning (+18km on to the daily total ;) ) so delighted that it stayed dry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I don't give in to my sad b*stard Strava tendencies too often but today I said feck it and decided to go for a KOM on a segement I thought was achievable -Berryfield Lane in Bray. Ryan Sherlock (who else) is top with 4:48....so anyway, I got out there and gave it a lash. Properly destroyed myself and 4 minutes 40 seconds later crossed the line to the sounds of screaming, adoring crowds.*

Just got home now and uploaded the ride. Ryan Sherlock's time is 4:18.
    B£$tard.

*or a small cat meowing at me, I forget which

Meandering cycle today following a route including lots of l-roads around South Wicklow that I hadn't been on before. Ballyboden - Laragh - Greenane - Macreddin - Askanagap - Aughavanagh - Rathdangan - Kiltegan - Grangecon - Dunlavin - Ballymore Eustance - Blessington and home via Ballinscorney. Mostly good, but on certain sections I realised there's more to cycling a road than drawing a line on a map. I'd forgotten what an evil little set ramps connect Greenane to Macreddin, and many of the other l-roads I'd selected turned out to be equally vicious. Fantastic day out though, ~160k, 2.4k climbing over 8 hours. (should have be 145 but usual navigation errors)

393061.JPG

(One from the top of Reily's lane outside Macreddin which is my new least favourite climb in Leinster).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Into killenagh..Gorey... down old n11 to Arklow.. around to rock of Arklow... Castletown.... by Tara hill...Ballymoney... courtown...ballygarret...home. 67 km Avg 25.6 kph. Back out on 1992 steel frame Raparee, picked it up from Peter in Revolve bike shop Gorey this afternoon . He fitted the vintage chainring set that i had sourced on eBay, new chain and block....new brake pads and new computer. Great to have it pack purring...... a 24.5 year old steed and a 59 year old (almost ) engine ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Went out with family (wife + 9yr and 11yr old sons) on Friday night and did a 30km blip up and down the Athlone-Mullingar greenway. Followed that up yesterday with a 63km trek (again on the greenway). Was pretty impressed with average moving speed on yesterday's jaunt (19.3kph) considering the kids were involved (although, tbf, we did 3hrs 15mins of cycling over 5+ hours, so a good deal of stopping for snacks, lunch, etc.). Was planning on getting out again today, but everyone's legs are in bits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did an easy 30km this afternoon but I was oh so hungover doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I had a very short spin today to bring the bike to the shop, but I noticed two cars wheel-spinning when starting off form traffic lights, presumably because of greasy surfaces.

Chinese tyres more likely....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

69km in just a shade over 3 hours, down to Enniskerry then up through Kiltiernan, Glencullen and the Viewing Point. Not too bad considering I haven't been out properly in about a month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/659563191

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

41km this morning around NCD - up into garristown, ardcath, back through oldtown and kilsallaghan.

one of the biggest perils on one of the stretches of road i was on was the double bad bend near thornton hall - one of the people who live of the bend regularly lets their labrador out, and he runs around the road. someday he's gonna be flattened, and this morning it was nearly me who would have been involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement