Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Just posted mine in the wimp blog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Down to Laragh and back. Tough wind in spots and one or heavy showers on the way back. Joined a club back in the autumn and If I'd been going out solo I'd have stayed in bed, but got up and out knowing I'd be out with fellow nutters in that weather.

I was spinning 34x28 past Bushy park and barely making forward progress as I did into a headwind!!

Actually a great spin and thoroughly enjoyed it, great company and getting the clothing spot on helped with that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Crocked wrote: »
    I was spinning 50x28
    sounds like you were cross-chaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

sounds like you were cross-chaining?

Ah feck, I of course meant 34x28, edited original to save me further embarrassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Crocked wrote: »
    Down to Laragh and back. Tough wind in spots and one or heavy showers on the way back. Joined a club back in the autumn and If I'd been going out solo I'd have stayed in bed, but got up and out knowing I'd be out with fellow nutters in that weather.

I was spinning 34x28 past Bushy park and barely making forward progress as I did into a headwind!!

Actually a great spin and thoroughly enjoyed it, great company and getting the clothing spot on helped with that

Excuse me while I show my ignorance :o but what does this mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

grouchyman wrote: »
    Excuse me while I show my ignorance :o but what does this mean?

Easiest available gear on many bikes, still hard work inching forward into a very heavy wind and driving rain. Same for me at the back of Marley park, felt like being in a wind tunnel.

smacl wrote: »
    Easiest available gear on many bikes, still hard work inching forward into a very heavy wind and driving rain. Same for me at the back of Marley park, felt like being in a wind tunnel.

Ah so my bike has a front 52/36 and a rear 11/28 so when I'm in the easiest gear I'm on 36 * 28 and when I'm in the hardest gear I'm on 52 * 11. Apologies as I know this is slightly off-topic but when I hear lads talking about bike gears a confused fog descends

I was out yesterday around Ballinasloe. Cold wet and windy. lots of surface water on the roads and got drenched. I was hoping to break 60kms for the first time but could only manage 41. The cold and wet were getting to me at that point. Happy enough but wish I could have broken the 60kms as I did 57 the previous week. Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I got back cycling just for leisure at the end of June. Joined a club in September. Lost 17 Kg.
    I did a national race for the first time yesterday, Lacey Cup. I came 7th in A4, delighted!

https://www.strava.com/activities/880846257

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back in after almost an hour and only 15km done. It's a lovely day for a spin, kids are at school and getting picked up later, I'm not in work until tonight, what could go wrong?
    Hit a slight bump in the road and as I was seated, the saddle rocked back. Stopped and had a look and found the saddle clamp loose. Tightened it up and set off again, only for it to happen again. Had a closer look at the clamp and the two halves are not fully on opposite sides of the seat rail. I took it apart fully and found one half of the clamp is split.
    I limped home sitting on the nose of the saddle or not on it at all. Off to find a new clamp now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Just in myself from a 51km spin. Much nicer weather than I thought it would be. Kept looking over my shoulder expecting to see sleet etc. No complaints though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

My first snow cycle :D okay, wet non sticking snow but still. How long does it take for your skin to stop burning after the freezing wet!!! Took even more pleasure than normal from passing everyone sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Pleasant enough spin this morning from Swords to Duleek via Bellewstown. Not so pleasant heading back as the rain arrived while we were enjoying our pancakes in Sage & Stone.
    On the home stretch coming in the Finglas Road at Tolka Bridge I decided to take the on-road bus/bike lane rather than the pedestrian/bike one on the footpath as there are normally cars parked on the footpath outside Glasnevin Cemetery. The driver of the #40 bus behind didn't appreciate my choice and passed me at speed with less than 30cm clearance. When I caught up with him soon after, he wasn't inclined to discuss the punishment-pass until I told him I would be reporting it. His response was that I should have been on the footpath.
    I have reported it to both Dublin Bus and Finglas Gardaí and await replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

grouchyman wrote: »
    I was out yesterday around Ballinasloe. Cold wet and windy. lots of surface water on the roads and got drenched. I was hoping to break 60kms for the first time but could only manage 41. The cold and wet were getting to me at that point. Happy enough but wish I could have broken the 60kms as I did 57 the previous week. Ah well

Pity you couldn't get your goal of 60km but 41km is still a good spin! Well done!

It will be no bother to you to do 60 when the weather gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Lovely spin in the snow and ice in Ballinastoe..

Was really chuffed with myself (4 days of MTB this week) until I saw a very brave lady on a beautiful Vitus luminous green Cross bike go up the Chairlift in the drops:eek:

Very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Just did my first spin in 3 years, Tralee to Farranfore and back approx 42 km. Felt good beside the wind and rain and the two punctures but a very sound lad passing gave me a spare! Faith in humanity restored !

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Nice spin up to Glencree today before the weather turned bad - 53k and knackered going up the hills! Must be gettin too old for this at 60. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3 consecutive days on the Turbo, I really need to get outdoors more , hopefully when the evenings stretch a but I can do a few sessions outdoors.

Really hanging on for the Sunday Spin each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Am seriously getting pissed off with the wind....thought we were done with for the storms until later in the year.

Seriously struggle heading home yesterday.... Head wind for 23km.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Out to howth today. The rain was so heavy it hurt my eyeballs coming down from the summit to Sutton cross. Passed a ninja or two coming down in the dark . Hopefully they made it home in one piece ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling back through portmarnock yesterday, i crossed the little bridge on the baldoyle side, and was musing on the unfortunately named 'j. aryan' who originally built the bridge (commemorated on a little plaque or embossed brick of some description'.
    100m later i copped i'd probably misread 'j.a.ryan'.

It’s really frustrating trying to pick a time to head out on the bike, especially as I’m beginning to enjoy being out and about on the bike.

However I had noticed over the last few days that the early mornings were generally better weather wise that the rest of the days so with that thought in my mind and after checking the local weather on the phone, yesterday I booked a half-days holidays for this morning.

So this morning when I got up, I stuck my head out the door to find the weather was dull and overcast with a bit of a wind though I couldn't tell what way the wind was blowing.

I set off at 8.30 and all went well for about an hour, the wind wasn't bothering me and I was even able to get the chain back on again when it came off. All-in-all things were going grand, then after about an hour the weather changed and it started to rain, which was ok until I reached my turning point at which time the wind hit me full in the face. So between the rain which had continued falling solidly for the whole time and the wind which kind of came and went I ended up absolutely drenched and frozen by the time I got home.

As I clocked 67kms in three hours fifty mins, which is the most I've ever done, I'm delighted with myself. Mind you, I felt a bit put out about having to go to work after all that as I figured that I deserved the rest of the day off as a reward to mark the achievement.

All in All though A good day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I commute in from Swords daily , twice this week I have had trouble on the commute home. Coming from the city centre to Swords on the stretch of road after Dardistown cemetery going alongside the runway , there is a big cycle path which I think frustrates Taxi drivers as I don't use it , i don't use it because it sweeps around to the airport and would leave me a few sets of pedestrian lights waiting to cross the junction. Anyway I stay as close to the side of road as possible but tonight two Taxi drivers came within inches of me and blew the horn which can shock you at speed when your not expecting it. This evening I followed this taxi driver right into the airport , I asked him what his problem he gave me the "use the f******* bike lane " I told him the bike lane will bring me off in a direction I don't want to go and I am heading straight towards swords but he was having none of shouting more verbal abuse , I said I was in as close as I could there was loads of room to pass and I could of been an a**hole and cycled in middle or road , he said if I was in middle of road he would have ran me over on purpose as all cyclists are c***s. I've been commuting a while and use bike lanes where possible but feel like packing it in now its just too dangerous there is a lot of drivers that just have no respect for cyclists its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I commute in from Swords daily , twice this week I have had trouble on the commute home. Coming from the city centre to Swords on the stretch of road after Dardistown cemetery going alongside the runway , there is a big cycle path which I think frustrates Taxi drivers as I don't use it , i don't use it because it sweeps around to the airport and would leave me a few sets of pedestrian lights waiting to cross the junction. Anyway I stay as close to the side of road as possible but tonight two Taxi drivers came within inches of me and blew the horn which can shock you at speed when your not expecting it. This evening I followed this taxi driver right into the airport , I asked him what his problem he gave me the "use the f******* bike lane " I told him the bike lane will bring me off in a direction I don't want to go and I am heading straight towards swords but he was having none of shouting more verbal abuse , I said I was in as close as I could there was loads of room to pass and I could of been an a**hole and cycled in middle or road , he said if I was in middle of road he would have ran me over on purpose as all cyclists are c***s. I've been commuting a while and use bike lanes where possible but feel like packing it in now its just too dangerous there is a lot of drivers that just have no respect for cyclists its scary.
    I generally use the cycle track until about 100m before the airport turnoff where there is a ramp off the cycle track back onto the bus lane.

I've had a few 'punishment passes' from bus drivers when not using the cycle track but I can't recall any from taxi drivers.

BTW - don't cycle close to the kerb. It only encourages close passes. Stay out and stay assertive. Taxi drivers prey on those who appear weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭alentejo

That relatively new cycle track by the airport is a disgrace. How badly designed can a cycle track be!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not much free time today so a quick run from dublin 8 up stocking lane and past to the wicklow border and back. Not that cold and the rain only started 2 mins before i landed back.

Not many about, and strava stopped around mt venus on the way up, so no idea how i was doing bar being passed by 4 separate lads. Took an hr to get to the border, 35 mins back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

he gave me the "use the f******* bike lane " I told him the bike lane will bring me off in a direction I don't want to go and I am heading straight towards swords but he was having none of shouting more verbal abuse , I said I was in as close as I could there was loads of room to pass and I could of been an a**hole and cycled in middle or road , he said if I was in middle of road he would have ran me over on purpose as all cyclists are c***s.

I hope you took his licence and taxi plate numbers and got straight on to the regulator. This is someone threatening other road users simply because of the vehicle they use; he's not someone who should be driving for a living unless he changes his attitude.

It's stories like this that make me think about getting some fixings for that camera I bought two years ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've been out on worse days than today but for some reason found it hard to motivate myself today, went out with two others for a 2 hour spin with the option to add a bit at the end solo if I wanted but coming down the hill by my house I'd had enough and peeled off in.
    It's a long time since I've seen as much standing water on the roads, the rain wasn't too bad while we were out but the spray from traffic was horrible.

63km loop around mid Kildare.

Don't envy the lads who'll be racing around here tomorrow, whoever wins it'll be well earned

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DOn't hug the kerb. THat's what encourages close overtakes. Take the space you need on the lane, and let them wait for a safe place to pass.

IF you're worried out taxi drivers, get a camera or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dub city centre > stocking lane > wicklow border again, weather is bloody awful up there though, worse than the forecast. Had planned to go onwards but turned and went home as i was soaken and frozen.

Strava failed at the exact same point as yesterday too, at woodtown/mt venus. Weird signal issues there!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement