Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Something I'm a bit unsure of in my commute, how should I negotiate this turn?

I want to go from Heytesbury Street/New Bride St onto Kevin St and head towards SSG. Red is what I usually do- move to the right-turning lane, get in the bike box, then when the light turns green, dash across the junction before cars heading southbound start coming. It always feels a bit dodgy, what would you do to make this turn instead?

I used to take this route myself and would do the same as yourself. But never felt it was much of a dash, there was always plenty of time to make it across. Otherwise just move out into the junction and wait for a gap to make the turn. You'll have to move well into that junction, just because of the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

secman wrote: »
    Headed from house to Killenagh, ballycanew, Gorey, out old n11 to inch, Arklow and on up to Woodenbridge and out the Aughrim road for a bit. Stopped to have my home made banana jacks :). Headed back to Woodenbridge, Arklow but took the left turn out to rock of Arklow, and back the coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown and back to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home. 86 km Avg was 25.5 kph.
    Never knew that a Jack Russell whose arse was barely 2 inches from the road surface could get up to 35 kph... I had to get nearer 40 kph to drop the bastard :)
    yeah, they are persistent little backstards alright:)

no spin this weekend but a huge number out on Saturday and Sunday around Maynooth. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Bloggsie wrote: »
    no spin this weekend but a huge number out on Saturday and Sunday around Maynooth. Good to see.

I was one of the Sunday riders out of Maynooth, as there was a training spin for the Galway Cycle in April. There were enough of us in attendance to get three groups out on the road.

There were a few other groups out and about too. Always good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was with one of two McNally Swords groups that passed through Maynooth on the way to and from Celbridge. We had over 30 out and were not overly impressed with our regular coffee stop in Celbridge even though we staggered the timing. Anyone try the cafe in the Orchard Garden Centre? It's about a kilometre out the Dublin Road but I don't know what it's like for coffee, scones and bike parking. Any other recommendations in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Something I'm a bit unsure of in my commute, how should I negotiate this turn?

I want to go from Heytesbury Street/New Bride St onto Kevin St and head towards SSG. Red is what I usually do- move to the right-turning lane, get in the bike box, then when the light turns green, dash across the junction before cars heading southbound start coming. It always feels a bit dodgy, what would you do to make this turn instead? It's the only part of my commute where I have to cross across incoming traffic so it makes me a bit nervous.

Hi MrMorooka, in my opinion you're better off carrying out a 'Hook Turn' to get onto Kevin Street. First stage is the green line, then wait for the light to turn green for the Kevin Street traffic, then proceed along the yellow line. Some more info on Hook Turns here: https://cyclingtips.com/2009/05/the-hook-turn/

409830.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was with one of two McNally Swords groups that passed through Maynooth on the way to and from Celbridge. We had over 30 out and were not overly impressed with our regular coffee stop in Celbridge even though we staggered the timing...
    That's what you get for slacking. Pedal harder next time. :P

I thought it was fine with quick service (but I suppose I was 2nd in the queue!).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The scariest experience I have ever had today on my way home from work.

I live quite close to where I work, less than 2.5km but it's quite a steep climb and a very fast descent as well en route home. Coming home and at the fastest part of it with speed at 45-50km a car roars past and takes a sharp left not 9 feet in front of me...Nearly shat myself n hammered on the brakes coming extremely close to hitting the car. Scary few seconds that seemed to go forever.

I'm convinced that being a regular club cyclist aided my reactions at that speed n not head into mass panic mode. At least I know the brakes on my 7yr old Giant Roam 2 are working A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Went to cycle to work today.  First bike I went to rent wouldn't unlock from the stand.  Tried to cancel the rental via the app, wouldn't work.  Tried to return the bike via the app, wouldn't work.  Had to call up the helpline to get them to cancel it.  Went to take another bike, wouldn't unlock either.  Same story, had to phone the helpdesk again, must have wasted about 10-15 minutes with all of this.  Walked to another stand, got a bike from there.  It went well apart from one of the pedal's and arms wobbling and feeling like it was going to fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Was with one of two McNally Swords groups that passed through Maynooth on the way to and from Celbridge. We had over 30 out and were not overly impressed with our regular coffee stop in Celbridge even though we staggered the timing. Anyone try the cafe in the Orchard Garden Centre? It's about a kilometre out the Dublin Road but I don't know what it's like for coffee, scones and bike parking. Any other recommendations in the area?

Not a practical place to be honest as you have to meander through a very expensive shop to get to cafe/ coffee shop. Don't think the management would like a sweaty bunch with bikes meandering through the expensive shop . It's a pity as food etc is grand and there is an outdoor seating area beside the garden centre that would do fine for cyclists and bikes, if they had a separate entrance into garden centre. But it is designed for footfall to go through the expensive shop..... Did I mention expensive :)

• Advertisement

That's what you get for slacking. Pedal harder next time. :P

I thought it was fine with quick service (but I suppose I was 2nd in the queue!).

I think it's called Athgoe Hill on Strava but it's probably been a while since you were there ;)

Afraid it is isn't up to our usual high standards IMHO and it didn't get a single vote in last year's poll.

I think it's called Athgoe Hill on Strava but it's probably been a while since you were there ;)...
    As a super domestique, I have to stay with my captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Stepaside to Blessington and back. 69.8km on my heavy winter bike with Dynamo. Beautiful day. Three weeks off the bike (skiing)band noticed the drop in fitness. But working back from a long layoff due to injury so fitness is lower than normal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/872281068

Thanks to Unknown Soldier, without whom I would have had to cycle home on a flat (I could not pump up my rear wheel after a flat) and he had stopped to see if all was ok. He also gave me a spare tube as I had only one tube with me today Many, many thanks. I owe you one! Hope your own cycle was not impacted by your generosity!

Awesome Canyon (lighter than my Carbon), and brilliant camera set up. I will definitely be getting a mobius for the helmet and a fly 6 for peace of mind.

You're grand! 'Twas nice to meet you. Glad you managed to finish your whole spin. Mine wasn't inconvenienced, I was just tootling around local hills.
    When I am doing that, I am close enough to home to not need a pump or tube tbh.
    'Tis a light Canyon for Aluminum to, your new bike! You know you want it :D

As for the cameras, I made a little video for you this evening, from my commute this morning.

They are worth the money, my death will be in full HD.

The editing isn't great, don't want to give a lot away, and I'm not a great film maker by any means! (the slow mo stuff was quite cool though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks for the video Unknown Soldiee. Great picture and the editing is slicker than that Gatorskin tyre that would not come off yesterday...:)

As soon as the video played I was wondering if I could recognise the road (I have a good memory for places)...Follows by WOW, that's beside where I grew up, literally just a few houses from the roundabout heading toward the other roundabout you mentioned yesterday. Uncanny.

Terrible driving by the motorist...it's common at that junction. No reason for it but sums up the disconnect between some drivers and other road users. It's a long road back to getting motorists to think outside the steel shell they feel so safe in.

Dying to get to work...that was never me...Work to live a nice life surrounded by nice shiny bikes (maybe even a Canyon or two) :)

Glad you were not left holding the wrong end of the stick after our chance meeting....it was a great day to be out! Need to clear the Genesis, your uber lite weight Canyon was spotless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Lets just say there are various articles of my clothing drying on radiators around the office....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

secman wrote: »
    Headed from house to Killenagh, ballycanew, Gorey, out old n11 to inch, Arklow and on up to Woodenbridge and out the Aughrim road for a bit. Stopped to have my home made banana jacks :). Headed back to Woodenbridge, Arklow but took the left turn out to rock of Arklow, and back the coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown and back to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home. 86 km Avg was 25.5 kph.
    Never knew that a Jack Russell whose arse was barely 2 inches from the road surface could get up to 35 kph... I had to get nearer 40 kph to drop the bastard :)

I was chased on a disused road, down a huge hill by my own jack russell......she kept with me for most of the hill. She was actually gaining on me most of the time.

Lunatics!!

there is always a good smattering of cyclists in Tanseys in Maynooth and theres another place around the corner (cant think of its name just before the Manor Mills shopping centre) that gets good numbers each weekend

ladies & gentlemen, to the natural born genius who jumped the redlight on Burgh Quay @ the Rosie Hackett yesterday just after 17.30, thank you for "courteous response" to my pointing at the redlight.
    I truly wish that you dont end up as a bonnet ornament but from our albeit brief interaction, I feel it is an inevitable fact that we will be reading about you, thinking that how sad is that, another cyclist has been hurt/killed by a motorist when you are cycling in an irresponsible manner that probably lead to the incident.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

there is always a good smattering of cyclists in Tanseys in Maynooth and theres another place around the corner (cant think of its name just before the Manor Mills shopping centre) that gets good numbers each weekend

The Mill, per chance? Noticed when I was in there at the weekend that they have a sign up for being McNSCC coffee stop of the year for 2016, so suspect Mercian Pro is very familiar with it ;) In fact I think there's a picture of him outside it somewhere on this forum!

Otherwise maybe it's Chill in/joined onto Manor Mills?

cython wrote: »
    The Mill, per chance? Noticed when I was in there at the weekend that they have a sign up for being McNSCC coffee stop of the year for 2016, so suspect Mercian Pro is very familiar with it ;) In fact I think there's a picture of him outside it somewhere on this forum! ..
    Yup - The Coffee Mill - voted no. 1 coffee stop by McNSCC members (in a poll organised by Mercian Pro.)

Mercian Pro doing the honours on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/CoffeeMillBistro/

• Advertisement

Yup - The Coffee Mill - voted no. 1 coffee stop by McNSCC members (in a poll organised by Mercian Pro.)

Ah yes, my bad. I knew the one I meant, but forgot the Coffee part due to there having been the Mill Wine Cellar/Off License a couple of doors down. That said, a bunch of us who went to college around there do just call the Coffee Mill the Mill sometimes, hence the confusion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Just after seeing Unknown Soldier's video there and it reminded me of my cycle home yesterday evening and into work this morning. Both at Wellington Roundabout in D6W. Cars speeding straight through the roundabout, no slow down at all (speeding up if anything when they were approaching). Both were lucky not to hit other cars that had right of way, but the one last night was particularly close.

Starting to think I should get a camera myself.

Also on the way in this morning saw a chap with two kids on his bike, one on a back seat, one on the crossbar seat. I find kids being carried on bikes scary at the best of times, but two on one bike in morning traffic, terrifying!

We have always been very well served in Maynooth but Celbridge is a different matter. Thanks for the info on the Orchard secman. Pity, as you say, that there isn't a direct way into the cafe.

Just after seeing Unknown Soldier's video there and it reminded me of my cycle home yesterday evening and into work this morning. Both at Wellington Roundabout in D6W. Cars speeding straight through the roundabout, no slow down at all (speeding up if anything when they were approaching). Both were lucky not to hit other cars that had right of way, but the one last night was particularly close.

Starting to think I should get a camera myself.

Also on the way in this morning saw a chap with two kids on his bike, one on a back seat, one on the crossbar seat. I find kids being carried on bikes scary at the best of times, but two on one bike in morning traffic, terrifying!

Worst I've seen was a guy on a Dublin bike cycling across a pedestrian crossing in College Green (the one just after you turn left towards Grafton Street) a few weeks ago with a child held in his arm, so nothing approximating a seat! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

We have always been very well served in Maynooth but Celbridge is a different matter. Thanks for the info on the Orchard secman. Pity, as you say, that there isn't a direct way into the cafe.

There's a nice tearoom/cafe here http://www.straffanantiques.com/index.php/contacts/ that may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You're grand! 'Twas nice to meet you. Glad you managed to finish your whole spin. Mine wasn't inconvenienced, I was just tootling around local hills.
    When I am doing that, I am close enough to home to not need a pump or tube tbh.
    'Tis a light Canyon for Aluminum to, your new bike! You know you want it :D

As for the cameras, I made a little video for you this evening, from my commute this morning.

They are worth the money, my death will be in full HD.

The editing isn't great, don't want to give a lot away, and I'm not a great film maker by any means! (the slow mo stuff was quite cool though)

Pure scumbaggary! Hope you submitted this to the police. You can't leave these things go unpunished otherwise they'll end up killing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Bloggsie wrote:
    ladies & gentlemen, to the natural born genius who jumped the redlight on Burgh Quay @ the Rosie Hackett yesterday just after 17.30, thank you for "courteous response" to my pointing at the redlight. I truly wish that you dont end up as a bonnet ornament but from our albeit brief interaction, I feel it is an inevitable fact that we will be reading about you, thinking that how sad is that, another cyclist has been hurt/killed by a motorist when you are cycling in an irresponsible manner that probably lead to the incident.

On a work charity cycle a couple of years ago, coming through Balbriggan the pedestrian lights turned red, group of 5 or so all stopped. Guy in official charity jersey, let's call him "Fred" , sails straight through. Couple of us called him out. "F#€k that" says he. We had a refuel stop about 2km later, should've seen the abuse he & his cargo bike thingy got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That roundabout has had its fair share of fender benders! Nobody wants to yield. Traffic lights would do a better job there than a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

cython wrote: »
    Worst I've seen was a guy on a Dublin bike cycling across a pedestrian crossing in College Green (the one just after you turn left towards Grafton Street) a few weeks ago with a child held in his arm, so nothing approximating a seat! :confused:

Bloody hell.

I've no idea if there's any legislation covering child passengers on bikes ... but there should be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

ladies & gentlemen, to the natural born genius who jumped the redlight on Burgh Quay @ the Rosie Hackett yesterday just after 17.30, thank you for "courteous response" to my pointing at the redlight.
    I truly wish that you dont end up as a bonnet ornament but from our albeit brief interaction, I feel it is an inevitable fact that we will be reading about you, thinking that how sad is that, another cyclist has been hurt/killed by a motorist when you are cycling in an irresponsible manner that probably lead to the incident.

Rant over.

I cycled through Dublin City for the first time recently. What hit me was of the two dozen cyclists I saw, TWO stopped for red lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement