Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Doghouses wrote: »
    The day might come when IE will have to justify how 14 people were successfully able to come through 24,000 applications

1. They have applied internally, so they have to give them opportunity

2. You're not giving out about the way your potential future employer is selecting recruits already, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mario84s wrote:
    2. You're not giving out about the way your potential future employer is selecting recruits already, are you?

The person you are responding to claims to be female, 42 and has not taken part in the workforce in 20 years. I doubt the dizzy heights of a train driver feature prominently in her future tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Thread Reopened.

Trolling is not accepted here but neither is calling each other trolls, as this can be considered as trolling itself as can Fixed Your Post style responses so I don't want to see those either.

If you think someone is trolling report the post and we will action it as soon as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I just want to say this is not true.

According to the doc I'm exactly where I should be BMI wise and they still rang ECG

The ECG is to see what the heart is doing, if there's any issues with it. They have to run this test (which only last a few seconds)

If they didn't run this test on you then there could be the possibility they didn't need to because it would be a waste of time / resources.

Also you mentioned you haven't worked in 20 years.

Yes they may be looking for more females (if you even are one) but your age will go against you also.

They ain't gonna waste a lot of money training you when they could train someone 10 years or more younger and get more value for money.

So sorry but it doesn't look great for you. (Just opinion)

I'm of the same opinion as most here as to the poster you are responding to but ignoring that for a minute, if all the things you said were true, why would IE even bother calling such a person for second round testing and then a medical when its exceptionally likely they have others meeting the same standards as them but who also are younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭CiboC

superg wrote: »
    why would IE even bother calling such a person for second round testing and then a medical when its exceptionally likely they have others meeting the same standards as them but who also are younger?

As one of the elder lemons that has gone through the whole process so far I would like to think that my age is more than just a variable in a cost/benefit formula about the training cost.

I would hope that my experience in other jobs and maturity in thought and action brings considerable benifits to such a responsible role. Youth isn't everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

CiboC wrote: »
    As one of the elder lemons that has gone through the whole process so far I would like to think that my age is more than just a variable in a cost/benefit formula about the training cost.

I would hope that my experience in other jobs and maturity in thought and action brings considerable benifits to such a responsible role. Youth isn't everything!

I am not older myself but personally I think Irish rail aren’t factoring in any of the variables that people think they are.

At my assessment there was young, old, male, female, employees of Irish rail, non employees. They really are just picking the best people for the job regardless of any other factors.

I would agree. At 42 there's still 25 years service left before retirement age unless train drivers have to retire sooner than the rest of us? Obviously we know age cannot legally be a factor and I doubt it is. There's no guarantee anyone who takes the job will stay in it regardless of age, they might not like it when they join, can't hack the shift work or other reasons so the risk factor regarding return on investment is there for everyone!

I've heard from 2 drivers that are known to friends and family of mine and they both hate the job which surprised me and gave me food for thought if I was to get anywhere which doesn't seem likely at this stage, i'm in the "we'll get back to you in 4-6 months" category right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Doghouses wrote: »
    I actually asked for you guys I don’t know why.....
    so if you over BMI limit ( I don’t know what it is )
    Only then will they run ecg etc...

You obviously missed the post where I showed that they must legally perform an ECG etc on all candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

GM228 wrote: »
    You obviously missed the post where I showed that they must legally perform an ECG etc on all candidates.

She obviously missed my post where i posted its a 12 lead ecg
    ie, doctor shaves a bit of your leg.
    Stress ecg i also mentioned is for anybody over 50/55 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

I would agree. At 42 there's still 25 years service left before retirement age unless train drivers have to retire sooner than the rest of us? Obviously we know age cannot legally be a factor and I doubt it is. There's no guarantee anyone who takes the job will stay in it regardless of age, they might not like it when they join, can't hack the shift work or other reasons so the risk factor regarding return on investment is there for everyone!

I've heard from 2 drivers that are known to friends and family of mine and they both hate the job which surprised me and gave me food for thought if I was to get anywhere which doesn't seem likely at this stage, i'm in the "we'll get back to you in 4-6 months" category right now.

Same as me and i worked for transdev driving a tram and its the same rules and laws and licensing.
    I still ask myself would i take it if i was lucky to be offered it and i would.
    Its a thoroughly enjoyable job driving but mentally its tough.
    Every class who trains up always loose two of the trainees as they only see the true operation behind the closed doors of a depot and see how tough it can be.
    Id say the interview could be 3 or 4 on a panel of experts,possibly 2 interviews with the amount of candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I'm of the same opinion as most here as to the poster you are responding to but ignoring that for a minute, if all the things you said were true, why would IE even bother calling such a person for second round testing and then a medical when its exceptionally likely they have others meeting the same standards as them but who also are younger?

I very much doubt the poster in question has been called in. Seems like a disgruntled fail of the first test.

And if im wrong, going by the posts that person has made so far, they will weed her out very quickly and give her the elbow. Her attitude seems to be the exact opposite of the person they are looking for.

I also believe there is a lot more testing in the future. Before interviews take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

She is actually a he. Probably mid to late 20s.

Same as me and i worked for transdev driving a tram and its the same rules and laws and licensing.

Different rules and laws and the train driver licensing requirements do not apply to light rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I don't get what the fuss is about an ECG... I would have thought it would be par for course ...

Safety critical role, where you work alone a lot... course they'd want to know what your heart is doing, regardless of if you were healthy up until that point.

The field role I used to work in required an ECG yearly as you were working on critical infrastructure kit for extended periods alone..

Interesting fact about it.... everyone thinks a high resting heart rate is the bad one.... there's also low resting heart rate (<50BPM) which will fail you straight out of a number of roles as you are seen as too sedentary and possibly incapable of reacting quickly enough when things start to go wrong

arccosh wrote:
    Interesting fact about it.... everyone thinks a high resting heart rate is the bad one.... there's also low resting heart rate (

Funny that my resting HR is 47 BPM, I run marathons regularly I doubt I qualify as sedantiary tbh, I'm also a retained firefighter. Quick response is a requirement.

good for you....as I said... a number , not all...
    I doubt it's 47 when you're running into a building, and the adrenaline will kick in bumping up your heart rate when the bell goes off or when you get a call out, which you need to physically or verbally respond to..

An air traffic controller on the other hand, sitting down working at night can become quite sedentary, and create a situation themselves by not having full situational awareness at all times.
    Funny for a role that they promote a low stress environment in... they actually promote a little stress too (Yerkes Dodson curve) to keep you alert

Similar for train drivers, you may be awake, responding to alarms etc.. (amber lights, hand off the throttle), but are you that awake to respond in time to what looks like a car stuck on the crossing in the distance?

arccosh wrote:
    good for you....as I said... a number , not all... I doubt it's 47 when you're running into a building, and the adrenaline will kick in bumping up your heart rate when the bell goes off or when you get a call out, which you need to physically or verbally respond to..

Your doubt is irrelevant tbh, a claim was made i countered it. A low resting HR is also a sign of a high state of fitness. When I'm required to do a medical as part of my regular job I regularly have to explain my fitness regime. This forum is the only place I have seen a blanket generalisation to what a below 50 BPM hr means.

It's highly relevent, as you're trying to compare apples and oranges.
    I'm fully aware that a low resting heart beat is also a measure of high fitness. Still doesn't take away the fact the if you have an ECG with certain companies, for certain roles, they will put you under higher scrutiny (or failure) for certain roles for a resting heart beat of under 50 BPM.

arccosh wrote:
    It's highly relevent, as you're trying to compare apples and oranges. I'm fully aware that a low resting heart beat is also a measure of high fitness. Still doesn't take away the fact the if you have an ECG with certain companies, for certain roles, they will put you under higher scrutiny (or failure) for certain roles for a resting heart beat of under 50 BPM.

I said your doubt to what my RHR is, is irrelevant. You made a sweeping generalisation I responded. Frankly it's time to unfollow this thread as there are individuals here posting false and misleading information why? Beyond me tbh .
    To those of you especially one confessed driver (Roots) thanks for the information you shared in thread.
    I'm out.

It is relevent though... I'm not doubting your resting heart rate claim, I'm doubting your heart rate is going to be 47BPM when you're on the way to a shout, or working during it...

whereas in my example, where an air traffic controller is working, it's sometimes in a sedentary environment (which some train drivers could also be in), and if too relaxed, and not alert, can create a situation that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Unfollow away, I was just giving some insight on the requirements in different industries and was speaking from experience, as it was highlighted during one of my own ECG's as I was on the cusp of cut off (I was 51 BPM, I run marathon's too btw... crap times though)...

I've also dealt with other companies who have similar medical requirements. Truth is, no one will know the requirements other than Irish rail. There's guidelines dictated by Europe (although a lot of them can be quite wooly in actually giving figures) but every company will have different requirements, and won't disclose them publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

So far do we know how many medicals were given roughly? I can't understand how/why medicals are happening before interview stage?

I very much doubt the poster in question has been called in. Seems like a disgruntled fail of the first test.

And if im wrong, going by the posts that person has made so far, they will weed her out very quickly and give her the elbow. Her attitude seems to be the exact opposite of the person they are looking for.

I also believe there is a lot more testing in the future. Before interviews take place.

As I said earlier, I agree with what seems to be the consensus on the poster in question, clear fantasist in my view but I was asking the question because I feel the points raised against them aren't very likely.

Agree with everything else you say. Comes across terribly here, can't imagine they want that in their employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

How many people would be left in the running for the jobs between people that have done the stage 2 and medicals and the people that got the 4-6 week emails

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dazice

I had a medical on Wednesday, and the follow was carried out

With Nurse;
    1. Questionaire about health. whether you ever had concussion/were in the army/have any heart or head issues
    2. height and weight, my bmi was 27 and she said that was fine.
    3. pin prick test for diabeties, drugs.
    4. ECG
    5. hearing test in sound proof booth.

Then you visit the Doc;
    6. Left and Right eye sight test.
    7. Another eye sight test to read different grey shades of letters
    8. Colour blind booklet.
    9. Checks stomach and sides while on the table
    10. reflexes check with hammer to the knee
    11. then doc asks questions and reviews info from nurse.

if all is well you are given a clean bill of health.

KiloDelta wrote: »
    So far do we know how many medicals were given roughly? I can't understand how/why medicals are happening before interview stage?

Because the interview is the final stage of selection, there's no point in potentially dismissing those who potentially will pass the medical and accepting those who will potentially fail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Because the interview is the final stage of selection, there's no point in potentially dismissing those who potentially will pass the medical and accepting those who will potentially fail it.

Nope.

The medical is normally the last stage, as in pretty much any recruitment process. However, the IR medical department apparently were awkward, and when they were requested to setup medicals for the planned post interview period, they wanted to have definitive numbers and when HR said they didn't know they were told to come back when they had the numbers. So considering the fact they are trying to fast track this whole process HR decided to block book a pile of medicals. Hence why people got medical appointments very rapidly after the phase 2 tests, they had appointments made and they needed to fill them as they were paid for.

This is straight from the HR lady who sat in on my phase 2 session, as I asked her why it was done in this order

blueband wrote: »
    Nope.

The medical is normally the last stage, as in pretty much any recruitment process. However, the IR medical department apparently were awkward, and when they were requested to setup medicals for the planned post interview period, they wanted to have definitive numbers and when HR said they didn't know they were told to come back when they had the numbers. So considering the fact they are trying to fast track this whole process HR decided to block book a pile of medicals. Hence why people got medical appointments very rapidly after the phase 2 tests, they had appointments made and they needed to fill them as they were paid for.

This is straight from the HR lady who sat in on my phase 2 session, as I asked her why it was done in this order

Well from the day it was announced I knew medicals would come before interviews from official channels, I'm told it was part of the filtering process.

The process is different to pretty much any other recruitment process as very few other professions have legally prescribed medical requirements which would be a lot stricter to the average job required medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Well from the day it was announced I knew medicals would come before interviews from official channels, I'm told it was part of the filtering process.

The process is different to pretty much any other recruitment process as very few other professions have legally prescribed medical requirements which would be a lot stricter to the average job required medical.

I have a thought on this process.

Even though there are pre interview form etc would the fact a person passed all the assessments , medical etc make the interview slightly easier than normal ? Or possibly make the judgement of the interviewers swade more towards hiring the individual based on that fact ?

Assuming criminal record etc are all clear and nothing seriously stands out in the interview like previous employment history etc.

Or will the interview be what we're all expecting ? Make or break and be extra though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

How tough can it be? You will not be expected to know anything technical.

Any other questions they have I will be answering honestly as I have with every question so far. If they determine from my answers that I'm not right for the job then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Doesn't really matter what the criteria are, quite simply HR themselves told me this at the phase 2, I believe I was in pre-fab 9 at the time, it wasn't Laura the younger blonde lady, it was the dark haired older lady, I'm going to say Sinead was her name but I'm not 100% certain

You can choose to believe your own conjecture or the facts that I got from HR, thats up to you.
    I'm actually a bit surprised at the amount of people on this thread who put forward opinion or assumption as fact. It reduces it's helpfulness to be honest. If you're expressing an opinion it would be better to state it, otherwise people are being misled.

Advertisement