Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Rail jobs

• 04-07-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There was someone on here asking about jobs in Irish rail, check out their site. They are hiring for the city centre re signalling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

cheers, will check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

A few started like this and are now signalman and drivers etc.

Would have college education work against me in this case? Sick of staring into a computer screen and would love to learn skills with my hands. College educated to Masters level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Waestrel wrote: »
    Would have college education work against me in this case? Sick of staring into a computer screen and would love to learn skills with my hands. College educated to Masters level!

A big plus I'd say......

Just an ability to follow instructions. You would have to do the track safety course, possibly the lookout course and the engineering supervisor course. You might get a nice bit of dinner thrown in as well in the black lion. If you don't drive, don't let that discourage you from applying.

• Advertisement

all sounds great. Cheers for heads up. Will there be huge interest?

Not sure but send in the application anyway you have as much chance as anyone and good luck. If you are on the dole then go for it. Put in for all 3 if you are also and electrician. Pm me if you have any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rail jobs that I am aware of:

Irish Rail - Apprenticeship positions (Diesel Mechanic, Electrician, Fitter) - Dublin, Drogheda, Limerick, Portlaois

Irish Rail - Dublin City Re-Signalling Project (General Operatives, Platelayers, Electricians)

Irish Rail - small number of gate keeper positions.

Rail Gourmet - train staff, various locations (Heuston, Tralee, Cork, possibly Galway)

Grand Hibernian - train staff, various locations - I'm not sure how official this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are driver positions ever open these days?
    I am employed with DB but wouldn't mind a change.
    I know a few moved as bus drivers to train drivers a few years ago but maybe this isn't possible anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Are the gatekeepers jobs open to all or just internally to other IR employees?

Slunk wrote: »
    Are the gatekeepers jobs open to all or just internally to other IR employees?

I only saw a reference to the positions existing, I haven't seen any actual ad, so it might be internal only.

I get the impression that the pay is very poor, although some locations come with accommodation. In the 1990s, some gate-keepers were being paid about £1.50 per hour., although per hour is a poor measure of pay rates for such jobs, as it's 5 minutes work, followed by boredom.

the gatekeepers jobs are gone and were open to anyone. 2 positions.

Any idea when we shall hear yes or no on these jobs?

Did you apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I applied for the apprenticeships, but god only knows when, and if ill hear back

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Did you apply?

I did, and the closing date was nearly a month ago - surely decisions must be made soon to get interviews started and have the intake before end of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Batman12

Anybody hear anything else from irish rail about apprenticeship?

Batman12 wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything else from irish rail about apprenticeship?

nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Batman12

From reading about last years apprenticeships 1400 sat aptitude tests and less than 100 made the cut to be even considered for interview. Don't understand why they leave it so long to get in touch with people who they already know didn't score high enough in aptitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭liv1892

Anyone heard anything on the apprentice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

liv1892 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on the apprentice

heres the latest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071b63

Play nice.

They were only taking on about 12 apprentices this year.

Got an email today about the interviews! They are starting next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Got a call on Friday to go for interview next Monday. They said the details would be emailed to me but haven't got anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rameen6

I got a phone call for an interview next Monday. Anyone know what this apprenticeship entails? Where would you be based and where might you be based upon completion

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Got a call on Friday to go for interview next Monday. They said the details would be emailed to me but haven't got anything yet

Same here, call on friday but no email. Im sure it'll be along.

Rameen6 wrote: »
    I got a phone call for an interview next Monday. Anyone know what this apprenticeship entails?
    As I understand it, there are several different trades - electrician, fitter and mechanic. It's 3-4 years of blocks of classroom and workshop training.
    Where would you be based and where might you be based upon completion
    The apprenticeships are in Drogheda, Dublin, Portlaoise or Limerick, which are the main locations for medium and heavy maintenance. Other locations do maintenance, but usually only the daily checks and the like.

anyone got the phone call but not the email? still waiting on mine

• Advertisement

Waestrel wrote:
    anyone got the phone call but not the email? still waiting on mine

I got an email but no call

Advertisement