Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Too true.

Unfortunately many cyclists take the 'I'm the only one that matters' attitude I'm normally so critical of motorists for.

Around my neck of the woods there's a huge amount of footpath cycling di$cheads. The worst being the grown man who thinks he's still 15 on his mtb and bunny hops onto the footpad at a red light without slowing, shoots through the peds and slams back into traffic about 10 metres later.

There's also the one way on South Richmond st that pobs footpath cycle through rather than move 25m to a parallel route, and the ped only section of the grand canal cycle path at Portobello which people cycle rather than face the dangers of Portobello road (often as many as two very slow moving cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

First time my correspondence to the Irish Times has been edited, I must be losing my touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

buffalo wrote: »
    First time my correspondence to the Irish Times has been edited, I must be losing my touch.

It's succinct as-is. Nice job. Did it lose anything in the editing? Everyone needs a good editor.

oflahero wrote: »
    It's succinct as-is. Nice job. Did it lose anything in the editing? Everyone needs a good editor.

It lost my little pun at the end. What's the point of writing to the Times, if not to have a pun published?
    Although I welcome on the spot fines for cyclists, I wonder if
    any moves are being made to discourage bad behaviour directed against
    those on two wheels? I have lodged several complaints with the Gardaí
    in the past about aggressive and dangerous drivers, and never had a
    satisfactory outcome - every offending driver escaped cautions,
    warnings, or points.

Earlier this year, I had a Dublin Bus overtake me with inches to spare
    in a terrifying experience. It happened right in front of a Garda car,
    and what was the occupant's response? "You'd be safer on the
    footpath".

While I don't condone it, I fully understand why many chose to use the
    footpath. Unless cyclists' complaints about dangerous driving are
    treated with more seriousness by the authorities, I fear the only
    difference these fines will make is to drive people out of the saddle.

- Yours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

buffalo wrote: »
    It lost my little pun at the end. What's the point of writing to the Times, if not to have a pun published?

Nah, the editor's right. The second paragraph has a great final impact. An implied 'BOOM!', you might say.

Leave the puns to Paul Delaney of whereveritis, something Hill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've been sold on the idea of hairless legs for cycling for quite a while, but never got round to doing anything about it. My wife, an authority on such things, bought me a tube of Veet in-shower cream, a pain free option which led to a renewed determination to just do it, and then I let it sit on a shelf for a few months. Eventually though, I'd finally had enough, a few weeks back I came home from a sunny day ride with half the insect population of Ireland stuck to my hairy sun-creamed legs and decided that something had to be done.

So I dug out the Veet and read the instructions. Then I read them again. I read them several more times to ensure I hadn't missed any subtlety in the complex process that amounted to "slap it on, climb in shower, wipe it off". I suspect the average surgeon isn't as well prepared for open heart surgery as I was to denude my pins that fateful day. I slapped on loads of the cream, I discovered that my legs were hairier than even I had given them credit for. The instructions included dire warnings to not leave the cream on longer than 15 minutes - I pictured my legs melting and washing away down the plughole. They also warned not to use it on "sensitive areas" - given the mental images I was already conjuring up of my legs melting, I didn't need to be told twice to be careful where I put the stuff.

The stuff worked really well, the hair started to wash away as soon as I wiped at it in the shower. It was great. And then, very quickly, it went from being great to being just downright gross as the hair amassed in the base of the shower. It looked like a Yeti had been sheared in there. Ick! I needed to use a razor on those hairs that had been protected by the Yeti outer layer but by the time I emerged from the shower my legs were smooth, real smooth. And shiny too, I quickly realised that all that insulating hair had also served to subdue the blinding brightness of my pale blue Irish legs. WIthout that thick layer of hair, light now reflected off my legs like a disco ball, which was strangely awesome.

I entered that shower as Regular Man, not overly concerned about various aspects of my physical appearance, but what emerged was High-Maintenance Man who now spends more time tending to his leg hair than his head hair. In the weeks since I've struggled to relive those joyous first few days of incredibly smooth legs, as my hair fights back. So far my leg hair is winning :(

I tried a re-application of Veet but it proved a lot trickier when dealing with what amounted to stubble. And as I applied it this time I seemed to be throwing caution to the wind as I unwittingly ended up with the cream on parts of my arms and chest (no, I can't explain how). I initially rushed to wash it off but then stopped to consider the prospect of smooth arms, I even briefly toyed with the idea of deliberately applying it to my gorilla armpits, my only defence is that smooth skin is a weird addiction, before I sensibly washed off anything that wasn't on my legs. It wasn't a success on my legs this time though so I resorted to the razor instead and have the scars to prove it - knobbly knees suck!

I've since tried my wife's epilator too. She warned me that it hurts, so I was a little hesitant, but when I found that the pain of hairs being ripped from my shins was actually okay I attacked my upper legs with gusto. Unfortunately it turned out that my shins didn't hurt much because the nerve endings had fled to my above my knee, and there they decided to make a stand - I lost the battle against the pain after I'd done only one strip above the knee. I called a halt to it with just one leg partly done, and hid my shame under trousers.

So this is to be my life from now on, a constant battle of me versus my leg hair. It all seems quite daunting and silly, but oh that smoothness just cries out to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I'm sure most people have read the reviews for Veet on Amazon at this point. For those that haven't, it is seriously entertaining stuff: link

In summary, yes, more than just a good idea not to use it on "sensitive areas" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

As a fellow yeti, I recently decided to whip out the hair trimmers and trim down the hairs on my legs and my chest, because it was getting uncomfortable with the heat and the sweat was just horrific.

I now regret the decision to ever put a razor near my bodily hair, as I sit here with a horribly itchy chest where my shirt is rubbing, and also at certain areas of my upper legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

stetyrrell wrote: »
    As a fellow yeti, I recently decided to whip out the hair trimmers and trim down the hairs on my legs and my chest, because it was getting uncomfortable with the heat and the sweat was just horrific.

I now regret the decision to ever put a razor near my bodily hair, as I sit here with a horribly itchy chest where my shirt is rubbing, and also at certain areas of my upper legs.

That's a newbie depilation issue, it goes away after the first couple of times.

@doozerie I'm a committed VEETer. The aerosol stuff is by far the best, although it's not cheap and I use a whole can in one go. Tesco had it cheap a couple of weeks ago so I stocked up.

Respecting time limits is critical. The biggest risks (other that overspill on sensitive areas, which I do have experience of) is slipping over on the stuff in the shower. Never do it alone in the house or with a locked bathroom door - if you knock yourself out you'll wake up in need of skin grafts.

Which brings the problem of the kids coming in to the bathroom...

Maybe a solution is one of those non-slip bath/shower mats.

TMI, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Definitely hanging onto the hairy legs for another while after reading the last few posts.

If for no other reason than the dark, black, bottomless money pit that is a cycling addiction does not need anything else enlarging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

joker77 wrote: »
    Definitely hanging onto the hairy legs for another while after reading the last few posts.

If for no other reason than the dark, black, bottomless money pit that is a cycling addiction does not need anything else enlarging it.

Don't listen to the metrosexuals, all you need is a quick run over with a razor once a week. You even get some free stretching out of it as you do the backs of your legs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Don't listen to the metrosexuals, all you need is a quick run over with a razor once a week. You even get some free stretching out of it as you do the backs of your legs:)

If we were metrosexual then we'd be convincing him to shave his legs...

No matter which sort of razor I use, it always ends up with blood everywhere.

Did you just call doozerie's wife a metrosexual?

joker77 wrote: »

Invest in an epilator. The only expense is the initial purchase cost, after that it just runs on (manly) howls and (manly) tears.

doozerie wrote: »
    Invest in an epilator. The only expense is the initial purchase cost, after that it just runs on (manly) howls and (manly) tears.

I've tried that. It is time consuming and painful. Like chemical weapons, the advantage over an electric razor is that the growback has rounded ends, but who cares?

I reckon Veet is best for initial de-wintering. You could depilate a Wookie in ten minutes with the stuff.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    the advantage over an electric razor is that the growback has rounded ends, but who cares?
    Surely that must make it more aero - sharp edges must slow you down a bit...:pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    I've tried that. It is time consuming and painful. Like chemical weapons, the advantage over an electric razor is that the growback has rounded ends, but who cares?

Yes, using an epilator is certainly painful and it's certainly time consuming. But when some knuckle scraper laughs at your smooth as silk legs you can look him squarely in the eye and tell him that you manfully and callously plucked those hairs out by the roots, one by one. The lingering pain etched deeply in your face, and the slightly unhinged look in your eyes, will convey the truth of that statement. He may lose bladder control before he runs away in fear.

By comparison, telling him that you cautiously and delicately applied Veet cream which you rinsed away with water warmed to a comfortable temperature, doesn't convey the same image at all at all.
    Lumen wrote:
    I reckon Veet is best for initial de-wintering. You could depilate a Wookie in ten minutes with the stuff.

Whatever about the pain of using an epilator on new and short hair growth, the prospect of using it on full grown leg hair is quite horrendous, you might as well just try to catch your leg hairs in your drivechain and let it do the work of pulling them out. For that first effort the likes of Veet is definitely the way to go, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

For that first effort the likes of Veet is definitely the way to go, I agree.

I agree too, but... the chemicals in that stuff make skin lobster-red when caressed by the feeblest rays of sun afterwards. It says so on the packet, of course, but I got fried first and read the packet second. Factor 30 all the way for me now.

• Advertisement

My Garmin started acting up on Thursday, complaining about not enough space available in the "Lap database" and bleeping at me to delete old laps. I only enabled autolap within recent months, I've not seen this warning before in the 3 years or so I've had my Garmin. There is no option to delete laps though, just entire rides. Also about 80% of its internal storage space is unused/ available so I'm not sure what the problem is to start with, other than very contrary software. I deleted a few old rides, which had exactly no effect, so I disabled the autolap feature and that shut up its whinging at least so I thought the problem was solved for now.

I decided to go for a hard-ish ride today, and I kept the pace reasonably high for much of it. I was looking forward to looking at my ride on Strava later to see whether my perception of my performance matched with reality. But as far as my Garmin is concerned I did no ride today, there is nothing stored for it at all. It was an effort to restrain a vocal outburst - my life, it was over!

I certainly felt like I worked hard at the time, my legs still feel the effects of the effort this evening, and my desire to eat every carbohydrate in the house also suggests that I had an active day, but Garmin says no, I did exactly nothing. Exercise is exercise, and I'll benefit from it regardless of what my Garmin says, but I feel deprived somehow. Before having my Garmin and using Strava it wouldn't have mattered whether a ride was recorded, I did the ride and that's what always counted. But somewhere along the way Strava has taken on an importance that I can't explain.

It's not that I'm, you know, addicted to Strava or anything. I can give it up. Yeah, I can give it up any time that I like. I don't need it. …but I'll use it just one more time, and that'll be it, really it will. And in the meantime I'll just upload today's ride as a manual entry. Manual entries don't count though, I've still got one more ride to do …give or take.

(So for anyone that has autolap enabled on their Garmin, heed its warnings when it complains about lack of space even if there is actually plenty of space available. Delete older rides regularly to avoid the problem - probably, I'll only find out if this has solved the problem for me on my next ride. My Garmin is a 705, perhaps this issue doesn't apply to other models though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Addicted to Starva .. very good - next thing you know you'll be 'searching for segments', pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Why do people shave their legs for cycling?

Have heard about if for swimming & maybe in pro cycling, but just spinning around the place?

It's not that I'm, you know, addicted to Strava or anything. I can give it up. Yeah, I can give it up any time that I like. I don't need it. …but I'll use it just one more time, and that'll be it, really it will. And in the meantime I'll just upload today's ride as a manual entry. Manual entries don't count though, I've still got one more ride to do …give or take.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. My Garmin occasionally a) cuts the beginning of the GPS data off my longer rides, or b) doesn't store any GPS info. It'll have the correct total distance, time, avg. speed, but no GPS. Which means no segments. Breaks my heart every time this happens. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've copied old rides from the garmin onto a laptop directly. It's useful for freeing up space but you can still keep the details of the ride. Just have a hunt around the garmin and copy over the ".fit" files. I then use the delete feature on the garmin to remove the now unwanted files - I never attempt to remove them directly in case I mess it up.

It might be worth having a look for the missing ride directly just in case it's lurking there some where - the name format seems to be date&time.fit. You can also sometimes recover accidentally deleted rides using a file recovery utility this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Have heard about if for swimming & maybe in pro cycling, but just spinning around the place?

I don't think amateur racing and timetrialling qualify as just spinning about the place.

(I don't race and my legs are suitably hirsute)

@NeedMoreGears, Unfortunately no file whatsoever exists on my Garmin for yesterday's ride. I've always directly copied off my .tcx files just to have them but in the years I've had the Garmin this was the first time where I actually had to delete older rides off the device. It seems that Garmin software has some internal storage limit which I hit after enabling autolap, and this limit bears no relation whatsoever to the amount of actual storage space available so despite there being loads of space available the Garmin wrote absolutely nothing to its internal storage yesterday. I hope the ears of their code writers are burning!

Spinning around the place? I'll have you know that my rides are so bursting with awesome that even my Garmin 705 can't contain them. Alas, the world, and Strava, shall therefore never see them and will never know. It's tragic really.

Awesomeness aside though, here are a variety of reasons why people might shave their legs, take your pick: comfort, economy of suncream, thumbing a nose to insects, pure sexiness, ease of dealing with cuts (the irony being that many of the cuts are probably caused by shaving in the first place, but anyway...), makes massage more comfortable, it frightens the neighbours, 'cos my veins deserve an audience, it frighten the dogs, it makes it easier to pull on tight-fitting lycra, it upsets Joe Duffy listeners, it leads to fewer horrific accidents of leg hair being caught in the drivetrain, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

@doozerie That's a pity - think I'll remove a few old files from the garmin just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Heading into work on Friday night, sitting at the lights at The Goat pub. Traffic from my left were coming through quite heavy through the staggered crossroads. There is a guy sitting on his bike on the far side, like me, waiting for lights to change when I can see a blue helmet over the roofs of the cars on his side of the road, moving upto the front.
    Here I am thinking, jeez, the lights won't change for another minute, he would want to slow down or he will cream that guy waiting at the lights as he tries to stop.
    He pushes past the guy waiting at the lights, quite tightly, no sorry, no excuse me. Now there is still place to stop before crossing the junction. He has broken the red but he still has to stop, cars are still buzzing through.
    But no, he flies straight through, the car that just past him was within a foot of his front wheel, the car in the middle of crossing, slams on the brakes and luckily because the junction is staggered, he is already half turned and able to skid stop sideways. Doesn't hit the guy but it is only 10 or 15cm from his rear wheel.
    Guy in the helmet doesn't stop, doesn't even look behind, the guy waiting at the lights already had ducked his head as he didn't want to see the guy getting run over. Another car lays on the horn and he doesn't flinch possibly due to his iphone buds.
    He nearly died and he will never know, I was so shocked I could not even open my mouth to roar a warning. I see people do it all the time but his head didn't move, he didn't look to his left, just gobsmacked.
    Dear Blue helmeted idiot, I have no words for your stupidity, but you are not long for this world so whatever there is to say would be truly wasted.

Advertisement