Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

According to the owgr guy on twitter(@VC606). Looks like he will move up to #70 from #87
    Couple of more finishes like that and hopefully he can get back to Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Do they still get full world ranking points due to only being a 54 hole event?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

RikkFlair wrote: »

As far as I kn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

RikkFlair wrote: »

Yes. Points remain the same for events cut to 54 holes. If the events are reduced further to 36 holes points are reduced to 75% of previous allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hopefully this will give him some confidence and he takes the positives out of it. No point kicking himself over the double bogey. He had to take risks in chasing.

I didnt see any of it, did he go for a risky/50:50 shot or just generally aggressive and it didnt pay off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Up to 43 in the R2D rankings so looking good for a trip to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

shane going well, 4 under for the round so far -8 overall, strong finish to get into the last few groups tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone else see Shane this morning telling Fritelli that it was totally against the spirit of the game for Dylan to be attempting to get relief

Referee was giving Fritelli a free drop when there's no way he should have been getting one. Shane waded in, rightly, and told Dylan he shouldnt take the drop, but ultimately said it was the call of the ref/player and fritelli took the drop anyways.

But fairplay to Shane. He was thinking of the players in the field when he spoke up and it would be great if more pros were proactive like that in calling out wrongs from their fellow pros

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

What kind of relief was it?

Why would Shane or any other golfer think about the rest of the field but more about his own chances of winning.

More ranking points in states this week and last isn’t great for European tour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Trampas wrote: »
    What kind of relief was it?

Why would Shane or any other golfer think about the rest of the field but more about his own chances of winning.

More ranking points in states this week and last isn’t great for European tour

Fritelli was in the cabbage. He couldnt even see the ball. There was a sprinkler head about 2 yards away and fritelli attempted to include the sprinkler head on his swing path by aiming left with his feet and making a pronounced outside the line path that would bring his clubhead near the sprinkler.

Wayne Riley was going nuts in the commentary about it. Expletives and the like.

A referee was called

Shane Lowry stepped in and said "you're bang out of order. Obvoiusly i have no say, but I had to come over here and tell you that you're wrong to be even thinking about taking relief."

Which is essentially thinking about himself/the field because there's massive rankings points on offer for people trying to get into the race to dubai and fritelli (basically cheating) could have affected someone getting in our out of the main event.

Fritelli's only options were to hit and hope or take a penalty drop. really they were. But he got the relief from a sympathetic referee and that was that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Was going to post about it in the European Tour Thread but since it's here..... absolutely fair play to Shane for trying to protect the field and call out Frittelli on his cheating. Hopefully the referee will be called up on the ruling and told to grow a pair the next time a player attempts to cheat his way into free relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Harrington would be proud!
    Well done Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rikand wrote: »
    Fritelli was in the cabbage. He couldnt even see the ball. There was a sprinkler head about 2 yards away and fritelli attempted to include the sprinkler head on his swing path by aiming left with his feet and making a pronounced outside the line path that would bring his clubhead near the sprinkler.

Wayne Riley was going nuts in the commentary about it. Expletives and the like.

A referee was called

Shane Lowry stepped in and said "you're bang out of order. Obvoiusly i have no say, but I had to come over here and tell you that you're wrong to be even thinking about taking relief."

Which is essentially thinking about himself/the field because there's massive rankings points on offer for people trying to get into the race to dubai and fritelli (basically cheating) could have affected someone getting in our out of the main event.

Fritelli's only options were to hit and hope or take a penalty drop. really they were. But he got the relief from a sympathetic referee and that was that

100%

Fritelli should be embarrassed the way he was going on but then to actually take the drop when he knows he was breaking the rules was a disgrace.

It wasn’t using the rules to your advantage like you see so often, it was cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fancied Shane to get to -6 or -7 today now looking like he’ll be -1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

AGC wrote: »
    100%

Fritelli should be embarrassed the way he was going on but then to actually take the drop when he knows he was breaking the rules was a disgrace.

It wasn’t using the rules to your advantage like you see so often, it was cheating.

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest it was a South African either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Interesting draw in round 2 for Shane:D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

AGC wrote: »
    Interesting draw in round 2 for Shane:D

Was there any feedback from Fritelli about the incident?

• Advertisement

Was there any feedback from Fritelli about the incident?

Not that I saw/read

Presume he avoided it at all costs

Started fast out of the blocks

Last few years he’s started on west coast instead of desert swing.

Maybe a sign to Shane that his place is here while he gets his game back as I’m sure he’d get invites in states most weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Up to 10 under now thru 17. Some start

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Fritelli incident.
    What's the controversy about? I don't see anything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What's the controversy about? I don't see anything there.

Jeez, let me dust the cobwebs off the play button on that video!

If I recall it was due to the ball actually being playable but obviously not ideal but Fritelli pulled a fast one and requested a free drop, which he subsequently was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Nice bit of landscaping there alright. Looks like the dumping zone.

Only hit 4 fairways. Iron play must be spot on and putter hot.

Will need to improve off the tea as stats like that will catch up eventually but he’ll probably iron that out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Sh1t start today - par, bogey, bogey, par

Advertisement