Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Rootsblower

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Hopefully the training being Dublin based and so long will put people outside of the big smoke off and narrow the pool for me!!!

Paid training and put up in a hotel full bed and board, most people would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Paid training and put up in a hotel full bed and board, most people would love it.

They pay for your lodgings??? Will they pay my mortgage if I am lucky enough to be selected??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 071Class

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I am intrigued by many of the posts in this thread - it's like some sort of secondary (?) school project. Any chance that somebody would post up some of the really difficult questions? Just for interest sake.
    Would that not be giving an unfair adavantage to anyone that still hasn't taken the tests, considering the competition is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭dan786

Quick question I assume by 9 years Full time Education includes all Education Primary Secondary and is not just 9 years third level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

dan786 wrote: »
    Quick question I assume by 9 years Full time Education includes all Education Primary Secondary and is not just 9 years third level?

That's it, primary and secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭fabvinny

gone at the first hurdle..........good luck to everyone!

khaldrogo wrote: »
    They pay for your lodgings??? Will they pay my mortgage if I am lucky enough to be selected??

My bad I meant for trainees assigned to depots outside of Dublin like Cork/limerick/Sligo etc your put up in hotel bed and board mon-fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shivm1984

My bad I meant for trainees assigned to depots outside of Dublin like Cork/limerick/Sligo etc your put up in hotel bed and board mon-fri.

Do you get an allowance for commuting to the training centre in Dublin? or do Irish Rail give a discounted ticket price while doing training?

Shivm1984 wrote: »
    Do you get an allowance for commuting to the training centre in Dublin? or do Irish Rail give a discounted ticket price while doing training?

No to the allowance. Not sure about discounted tickets but I am thinking that’s a no as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Is the job with massive wages you would be getting not enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I am intrigued by many of the posts in this thread - it's like some sort of secondary (?) school project. Any chance that somebody would post up some of the really difficult questions? Just for interest sake.

Perhaps you can allude to what you find intriguing and what you consider to be a secondary school project?

Situation judgement, based on assessments of verbal comprehesion dont seem to be based on secondary tests to me. The later being tests of levels of attainment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would assume (and someone has already claimed it on this thread) that you get your standard CIE staff travel during training, which would cover the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

L1011 wrote: »
    I would assume (and someone has already claimed it on this thread) that you get your standard CIE staff travel during training, which would cover the tickets.

In first class no less..where heavily pregnant and sweaty ladies like to sneak into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why don't you find out for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I prefer to cook my own meals. Hotel food for a long period can't be good for you surely!

Effects wrote: »
    I prefer to cook my own meals. Hotel food for a long period can't be good for you surely![/QUOTE

Maybe then you could rent an apartment or room in Dublin at extortionate rates just so you can cook your own meals.

Honestly there has been a few posts on this thread so far where people are looking at aspects of the job before they even get close to getting the job

Eyes on the prize people worry about other things if and when you get the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭topnotch

Just change your gender and apply del monte you will get straight through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Maybe then you could rent an apartment or room in Dublin at extortionate rates just so you can cook your own meals.

Honestly there has been a few posts on this thread so far where people are looking at aspects of the job before they even get close to getting the job

Eyes on the prize people worry about other things if and when you get the job:D

Yeah its mad how far ahead of themselves some people get! 17500 people in for 100 jobs and thats a week and a half before the closing date so loads more to join that list too!

I'm in with a chance but I'll be honest I haven't given the chance of actually getting it any thought at all!

superg wrote: »
    Yeah its mad how far ahead of themselves some people get! 17500 people in for 100 jobs and thats a week and a half before the closing date so loads more to join that list too!

I'm in with a chance but I'll be honest I haven't given the chance of actually getting it any thought at all!

Visualisations have shown to be extremely helpful for people to meet goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

dar100 wrote: »
    Visualisations have shown to be extremely helpful for people to meet goals.

I do believe that but I've never had much of an imagination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Just a quick question about the training... Is there a lot of physics involved here? I've always been hopeless at theory in physics, but the more I think about it the more I reckon there'll be a huge focus on the science of actually driving a train.

Just a quick question about the training... Is there a lot of physics involved here? I've always been hopeless at theory in physics, but the more I think about it the more I reckon there'll be a huge focus on the science of actually driving a train.

See above, your not allowed to look beyond the tests at the moment:).

dar100 wrote: »
    See above, your not allowed to look beyond the tests at the moment:).

My question more relates to whether I should have even applied in the first place, but ok :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Getting to round 2 is nothing compared to whats still ahead. There is at least another 5 or 6 rounds to go if you break it down before been selected for training which you could still fail after 32 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if final selection wasn't completed before May.

Its a long process for a reason and its aimed at ruling and catching out many people with some of the traits been shown on this thread. Remember they haven't even asked for a CV yet and wont until they interview you at the final stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No definitely not training is quite easy folks half of the time it’s learning rules and regulations what you can and can’t do in certain situations the other half is learning about engines and railcars
    Then you go out and get 250 hours(actually driving time) with a mentor driver then you do your final exams then get passed out on each units

No definitely not training is quite easy folks half of the time it’s learning rules and regulations what you can and can’t do in certain situations the other half is learning about engines and railcars
    Then you go out and get 250 hours(actually driving time) with a mentor driver then you do your final exams then get passed out on each units

Very helpful. Thanks. I'll plough on if I get through round 2. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The CoreN exam I was sent was sent to me in error

Has since been removed from my account !

Was indeed only meant for mechanics / electric / fitters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

do you not find it hypocritical, people do nothing but bitch about IE around her, and now you are salivating at the prospect of getting a IE job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

What about route knowledge? Are you tested on that?

I know its hard to get through all the stages. Similar process to becoming a pilot in the RAF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Correct me if im wrong here.

Train driver contract 39-48 hours a week reach a maximum of €57k per annum after 10 years.

I can only guess thats doing a Sunday each week, shift allowance and 48 hours ..

This is near the money a a bus driver gets after a 6 years pay scale. Working Sunday with shift allowance and doing 48 hours .
    Not including the extra you get for bank holiday work and late breaking.

You are not isolated in a tiny room, you dont have a black box and management breathing down you neck waiting for a mistake and you get to steer the thing.

Advertisement