Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

advise please

• 04-09-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Any tricks to stop yearlings turning in a crush? Had 23 in to castrate and everyone of them turned to face the wrong way
    would stok bord up three feet stop them with restricted head space? Don't really want to be pulling in pallets and messing! Looking for a permanent fix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Are you on your own at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are you on your own at it?
    Not for castration but other jobs yes I'm usually alone and it's very frustrating! Id like a permanent solution if there is one

Always keep animal in front of one your working on. When castrating start at back of crush. Get helper in beside weanling. Hold tail up with one hand. Stone down with other. You work burdizzos. Change side for other stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Willfarman wrote:
    Always keep animal in front of one your working on. When castrating start at back of crush. Get helper in beside weanling. Hold tail up with one hand. Stone down with other. You work burdizzos. Change side for other stone.

Would you not lock the weanling in the locking gate? I wouldn't dream of getting in behind a lad to squeeze him without having him locked in.

raypallas wrote: »
    Would you not lock the weanling in the locking gate? I wouldn't dream of getting in behind a lad to squeeze him without having him locked in.
    Yes I prefer to lock them in the head gate also! My problem is getting them to the gate facing the right way! Castrating them is not the problem here it's stopping them turning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Willfarman wrote: »

Aul fella does the same with me tailing them, said anytime he got a right kick doing it was from the one at the front of the crush so usually stick a cow up the front.

Never bother with locking gate unless it's a cracked animal. They are always going to push forward rather than back and wedge in beside animal in front. If they kick then they are angle toward wall or crush and not straight back at Poor aul willy! Even then a head halter is quicker. Done 128of castle islands finest exports in one day in around 2001. Never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I would never castrate unless there is a beast in front of the animal I'm castrating. They are less likely to kick behind another animal.

I would always castrate with somebody in the crush with me. They can push the animal to side, also they will deflect any kicks.

I would never castrate unless there is a beast in front of the animal I'm castrating. They are less likely to kick behind another animal.

I would always castrate with somebody in the crush with me. They can push the animal to side, also they will deflect any kicks.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not that much trouble to put pallets in, I find.

If they all turn work from the opposite end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Was there not an adjustable sides for working with calves in crushes a few year ago.
    Works telescopic like tractor back window, leave down for larger animals & pull out for smaller.
    Have the same problem dosing smaller stock too

Farrell wrote: »
    Was there not an adjustable sides for working with calves in crushes a few year ago.
    Works telescopic like tractor back window, leave down for larger animals & pull out for smaller.
    Have the same problem dosing smaller stock too

Thinking of a rail bar welded on inside of up rights about 3 feet up making it narrower for weanlings yet the bar would be too low to affect bigger cows !if you can picture what I'm trying to explain

Thinking of a rail bar welded on inside of up rights about 3 feet up making it narrower for weanlings yet the bar would be too low to affect bigger cows !if you can picture what I'm trying to explain

You'd want to be able to remove it. If a big animal goes down in the crush it'd be wedged in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Yeah I put pallets inside the crush to reduce the area for moving.

As for the castrating I run a sling around the back of their legs and tighten it. It stops them from lashing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

We fill in the crush tight so they can't budge then work from the back and bit of spray marker if there is more in pin and reverse back into pen. Then move onto next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The local vet uses a sedative on all the cattle he castrates. Would be great to get some of that stuff. Don't know if they can give it out though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The local vet uses a sedative on all the cattle he castrates. Would be great to get some of that stuff. Don't know if they can give it out though.

Can't.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

A yearling shouldn't be able to turn in crush. Crush too wide.

For castrating, fill crush, tie long rope to back leg and tighten forward to next available pillar. Nudge cattle back on calf being castrated to take power out of leg. Castrate from outside of crush through the bars. Less risk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A yearling shouldn't be able to turn in crush. Crush too wide.

For castrating, fill crush, tie long rope to back leg and tighten forward to next available pillar. Nudge cattle back on calf being castrated to take power out of leg. Castrate from outside of crush through the bars. Less risk

It would be tricky to use the burdizzo through the crush bars , i agree they shouldn't be turning in the crush at a year old either

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Bullocks wrote: »
    It would be tricky to use the burdizzo through the crush bars , i agree they shouldn't be turning in the crush at a year old either

An odd time they'll go down so just let go of squeezers.
    Done 40 in half an hour with this method. Fast and safe when you get used to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement