Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New set up

• 03-09-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, there's 6 acres after coming up for rent beside me, I was thinking of renting it to put a few sheep on it, just as a bit of a hobby. there's no shed on the land, what would be the requirements for housing and what would be the best breed to start with?
    It'll be next year before I get any but I'd like to get everything else ready in the next few months.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

No shed needed. Just a pen to handle them. A water trough and a stock proof fence. You will need a long term lease to get flock number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wexboots

If all goes well and I decided the breed in a couple of years, I'd need a shed then? There's a lot of buachalan bui in a small field, would I have to pull all of that before I could let sheep in it

Wexboots wrote: »
    If all goes well and I decided the breed in a couple of years, I'd need a shed then? There's a lot of buachalan bui in a small field, would I have to pull all of that before I could let sheep in it

Be a good idea anyway to pull it. Have you any experience with sheep? A little shed would be a good thing if you plan on lambing yes.

No experience, have to start somewhere, I wouldn't want to make any money from it but I'd hope it wouldn't cost me too much either, I'd like the kids to get interested in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Willfarman wrote: »
    No shed needed. Just a pen to handle them. A water trough and a stock proof fence. You will need a long term lease to get flock number.

Willman are u sure there is no need for the shed. Is it just for a herd number you need it for.

• Advertisement

Not too sure now. Maybe you need to be able to show a shelter for a sick animal.

I thought you'd need a shed alright, what size would it have to be

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I thought you'd need a shed alright, what size would it have to be

We had to reactivate the flock number earlier this year, so filled in an ER1 form and had a site visit from the Dept. of Ag.

No mention of a shed, but we had a handling yard to show alright.

Some great bedtime reading here if you're getting a few sheep: http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2012/1287/sheep-booklet.pdf

By the way, depending on how good or bad the land is, six acres could support approx. 20-30 ewes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I was thinking of 10-15 to start off. What about lambing if I was to go that way, the dept don't mind no housing for that? I'll have a read of that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was thinking of 10-15 to start off. What about lambing if I was to go that way, the dept don't mind no housing for that? I'll have a read of that, thanks

no, plenty of lads lamb out in the fields, a sheltered field is best

• Advertisement
Advertisement