Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a US police officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Well done on doing your PhD. What area are you studying, is it related to your job. If the question is to much of an intrusion, please ignore.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have you ever seen Bosch? LAPD programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Great AMA and thank you for doing it.

Have you ever had to deal with an Irish person in a professional capacity? And if so did they mortify the life out of you?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Note:
    Glad to see that this thread eventually got back on track after some hiccups last night. If you want to chat among yourselves take it to PM. Our guest is here to answer questions about his own experiences and views, not to answer for all US police officers so please bear that in mind when asking a question.

So far it's been a great AMA, let's not spoil it. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Obviously after 20+ years in the USA you are a naturalized citizen.

Have you any inclination to return to Ireland?

I have been living in the USA for the past 15+ years. Where I live are mostly retired cops, ok it makes for a very safe area, but it also means that if you live in close quarters to them (which I do not) some can be extremely critical of neighbours and make their lives hell. It creates that “them V’s us” environment.

I have many friends both serving cops and retired cops who work in various industries e.g. security and consulting. Trust when making friends, is something that they have found to be very difficult once retired. Is this something that you personally have found to be the case? Are most of your friends cops?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Great AMA, OP. I have no questions that have not already been asked but am really enjoying reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There is some great research on this subject. My take: the US went hard in the 1980's with the "War on Drugs" and "Three strikes and you are out" thing, so we ended up locking up more people per capita than any other western country. As I mentioned earlier, we are quick to criminalize things which (IMHO) are not really crimes and would be better served spending the money of a social safety net and education, it's cheaper in the long run. I've been reading about the Swedish criminal justice system, it focuses on rehab and reform, not the Victorian model of punishment. Swedish recidivism rate is something like 48% compared to something like 80% in the US.

Do you think that the criminal justice system in the US is making society safer through reducing the likelihood of crimes being committed in to the future?

Sorry, I can't predict the future, no idea.

I understand you're not alone in being unable to predict the future accurately, but, what I'm wondering about this question is, do you think if the judicial practices and strategies of recent/current years continue, it will lead to a society which could be considered safer (while being more just to all) than how people might view the current society?

Or will the gap between those think the justice system does not work and those who think it is improving will widen?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And in Ireland.
    I live in a gated community and a retired cop's hobby was reporting people to the management company.
    We have about twenty rules that I assume he instigated, including "no loud talking", and "no television after 11 pm."

The joy is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's your sport of choice now that you've been in States so long?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

And in Ireland.
    I live in a gated community and a retired cop's hobby was reporting people to the management company.
    We have about twenty rules that I assume he instigated, including "no loud talking", and "no television after 11 pm."
    The joy is it?

Mod Note:Guys as per my earlier post, if you want to chat to each other, take it to PM. I won't be posting any more warnings, it'll be cards next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

T=.
    Do you think that the criminal justice system in the US is making society safer through reducing the likelihood of crimes being committed in to the future?

Sorry, I can't predict the future, no idea.

Leaving the future aside, can you predict the past? What's the crime rate trend in the US these days, failing year on year or rising?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Excellent AMA thanks for your answers so far.

When you were in training did ye have politeness classes? It's probably just a stereotype but a lot cops on TV sound the same when dealing with the public, sir/madam etc.

How fast can you run? Is there a requirement to maintain a basic level of fitness?

Have you ever left someone go (for a minor crime) just because they made you laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I hear you on the mental health end of it as it seems obvious that Yee are fighting a losing battle on that.

All these mass shootings and from people that are known to have issues and then the more worrying part of those that seem to have lead a normal enough life.

I honestly think the gun culture is beyond crazy and seeing these videos on YouTube of open carrying and these loons going around trying to scare people and then look to be engaged by officers like yourself.

I'm sure you were very scared when shot at and I do hope it never happens again.

Some I'm sure can be lucky in smaller precincts etc that they wouldn't see much action.

Have you ever found a big drug runner or arms runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Do local forces tend to turn a blind eye (as best they can) to well ran instances of street racing?

The kinda thing you'd see on 1320videos youtube channel. 1/8 mile hits from a standstill in very quiet locations during the night, that sorta thing.

Or is there a blanket zero tolerance policy like there is here in Ireland.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you find the process of getting convictions in the court system in the US in comparison to the widely perceived leniency of judges in Ireland?? Is it frustrating or is the US or Texan system more just?

Are there cases of for example 200 previous convictions amongst felons appearing before a judge in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Has the fact that you are an Irish person made things better/worse/different in terms of carrying out the job you do? Is it something you can use to your benefit, or something you need to avoid using, in any particular situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've had an encounter with law enforcement officers in South Lake Tahoe PD a few years ago. It was fairly mundane, I'd sat on the cordless phone and one of the buttons must have been 911 on speed dial.

When the officers turned up, I had to come out at gunpoint at first to show I wasn't a threat. Once that was established, one was sound and was asking me about the Irish music I was listening to and where I was from/travelling to etc while the other was like a pitbull barking questions at me. Would this have been a tactic taught in training used to throw someone off, like good cop bad cop?? Or just a tired and grumpy cop?? It was all sorted in about 5 minutes. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Do the locals ask about you being Irish?

What made you move to Texas in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

What's the best thing about living in Texas?

Whats the worst thing about living in Texas?

Thanks in advance! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

over your career do you feel like you have developed or diminished any prejudices? not looking for any specifics or anything but i just would have presumed it would have been the case as no matter how much we all want to be moral citizens we all have our prejudices be they justified or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

why are american police so aggressive and eager to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Thanks for taking the time to do this AMA.

Considering your life choice, if you had the opportunity to restart and do it all over again, would you go down the same route or choose a different career?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have you been in many shooting incidents?

Been shot at once, never fired back. I’m ok with that, no real desire to take another life. I’ve seen firsthand how that works out for the officer, it’s horrible.

Wow that's a very interesting career statistic. Given the amount of weapons in circulation I would have assumed a much higher rate of shooting incidents for your career.

Do you feel that this is because of your role (ie all incidents where guns are likely to be involved are handled by swat units?), your location or is my expectation for gun crime just too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is an unfair & argumentative post. I'm happy to discuss issues in US law enforcement and have a coherent debate, but please back up your claims about corruption, deadly force etc. Your comment of "there is no doubt that many US cops enjoy killing others and indeed join just for that privilege" has no basis in fact. Your comment shows little to no understanding of the impact of taking a human life.

Most respectable agencies require psychological testing, screening for behavioral issues, and an in depth interview with psychologists and ongoing monitoring of officer mental health & behavior. No system is perfect and agencies continue to balance screening with labour laws, personal rights to medical privacy and the needs of the agency.

But do you agree that many psychopaths enjoy being a cop because of the chance to inflict violence on a daily basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

40% of spouses of American police suffer domestic abuse. I presume you're part of the other 60%, how many cases of spousal abuse from your fellow officers have you heard? How would you respond if you heard one of your friends was abusing his wife at home?

Many, such as myself, believe that the American police are nothing more than the paramilitary wing for a crypto-fascist totalitarian government. There are many, many examples of American policemen and the American justice system being used to protect private interests over the needs of the public, or using fascistic tactics to suppress dissent. So, hypothetically, how would you sleep at night after hearing someone you arrested for stealing a sandwich was sent away for life?

As a person who lives in Ireland, and as a result, see my Police Service rock around the beat in a pair of slacks, shirt and tie, looking like their first day of school, I adore the idea of 'proper' police outfits. Personally, I find that a police officer with his holster, tactical vest full of all the nonsense equipment he'll probably never use etc. gives a more dominant image, which though I appreciate your 'us VS them' comment, I feel also demands more respect

And their boots look so tasty as well!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Do you get on with the military police?

Asking for a friend ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op, most US police dramas I have watched on television have incorporated some sort of corruption. Back handers from drug gangs, pimps etc.

I respect that the cop dramas have advertising and ratings to sell, but how prevalent is police corruption? To what extent does it go on?

Honestly please, if you have to say " it happened to a colleague" I am fine with your response, no judgments here, I am just looking for a genuine response.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

How do you feel about the militarisation of police forces in the US?

During training are you taught to try and de escalate a situation. Or are you trained to go straight to pulling a weapon?

How do you feel about the mixed response to some of your answers here? And about others calling you out for only answering "easy" pro police questions, while ignoring the more critical ones?

Is police life what you expected?

Have you ever had a bad experience with a police officer while off duty? How did it play out, did you just flash your badge and everything was resolved?

Why do you think so many people are critical of US police officers?

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

Do you work with a partner? If so, do you have multiple? Have you ever worked with someone (i.e spent the day on patrol with him/her) who you didn't like? What happens in those instances?

It's a mix, sometime with a partner, sometimes alone. Depends on manning, the schedule, leave, training etc. There are some people who are hard to get along with, especially rude opinionated ones. But like in any job, you just be professional and get on with it. We're colleagues, not best mates.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

As a foreigner, did you have to jump through any extra hoops to join the police force? Related, are you now a US citizen?

Roughly, what percentage of your colleagues are from ethnic minorities? And do your superiors deliberately mix pairs of cops so as to have a non-white member, or station certain cops in areas with a similar ethnic background to them?

And thanks very much for doing this.

Last time I saw the stats we were somewhere between 30-40% minority in my agency. It shifts with the ebb & flow of employees, we probably are fairly representative of our community, but could do better.
    No, we're assigned based on the needs of the shift, schedule, seniority, skills, etc. To our supervisors we're names/ranks/skills on a schedule, simple as that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement