Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Who.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I might build another one some day but not soon! I have a wife and two kids now that I didn't have back then! I have plans in my bookcase for the Overniter, the Tuffy and a boat from a different designer called the Bluejacket 20.

Its a real shame that people in Ireland generally don't have any appreciation for or place much value on craftsmanship. Pity because I wouldn't mind building wooden boats for a living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

kadman wrote: »
    Sign in.

Who you are, what area of wood work you are in, what interests you have relative to wood work, and novice or professional,

Kadman :)

Some of you already know me and my background, but for those that dont.

I am a qualified carpenter joiner of 25 years +. Woodturning and carving for about 20 years on and off, cabinet making and advanced architectural joinery, about the same. Got involved in wood work from a very early age , thanks to my dad who was a furniture maker. Cad certified in Autocad, Rcs Timberframe Cad, Strucad and a Member of The Institute of Carpenters , England, So wood is in my blood really, I've been around the block, but I'm still learning. Very interested in collecting old woodworking tools and old woodworking books. So if you need any traditional methods of woodworking, chances are I would have the reference books for it , some dating back 180 years.

Any way , thats me , sorry for rambling on.

kadman :)
    i went to letterfrack,worked as a carpenter prior to that(weekends and hols),worked after letterfrack in two bespoke workshops (joinery and furniture) started back carpentry through boom. set up a workshop a couple of years back and happy out. have been trained in autcad but havent used in 7 or 8 years.

I might build another one some day but not soon! I have a wife and two kids now that I didn't have back then! I have plans in my bookcase for the Overniter, the Tuffy and a boat from a different designer called the Bluejacket 20.

Its a real shame that people in Ireland generally don't have any appreciation for or place much value on craftsmanship. Pity because I wouldn't mind building wooden boats for a living!

starting a mahogany boat in jan would love to hear any advice you have . Its a 19' barrellback with a v8 engine similar to the 1930's chriscraft

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi 1chippy I have started building my barrel back that I will be running a V8 here is a link to the build, If I can be of any help just ask or if you ever want to come and have a look you are more than welcome.:)
    http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/crackerbox/

And this is my last build.

http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/

welcome to the woodwork fourm. Your the first female on here as far as I am aware. I have never worked with a female carpenter (thought I wouldn't mind)!!!

theres a good percentage of women training in letterfrack furniture college. worked with two female carpenters in australia one was brill other was crap (she had nearly 20 yrs exp)

• Advertisement

that would be great. would love to see a work in progress. i'm new to these boards so what way do i go about getting in touch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

1chippy wrote: »
    that would be great. would love to see a work in progress. i'm new to these boards so what way do i go about getting in touch.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I am in the motor trade and got sick of cars
    So took up woodturning a few years ago as a hobby
    Because my da was into it and i love it
    It is so addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

I am a woodturner also. Do you know the Midlands Woodturning Chapter is having a meeting in Nass tomorrow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

kadman wrote: »
    Hi Andy ,

The old saw is going great, but i think you been out in the sun too long my friend:D :D:D

You are among members of the brotherhood, woodworking crafts men, like yourself. You must have been in the wars , and suffering from "post traumatic stress disorder";)

Come on in and chill for a while, and check out the gallery. Cool stuff there.

I cant stay long , when I do , threads tend to get locked :p:p

kadman
    Hi Kadman, just wondering if the gallery still exists?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I got my first carpentry set when I was seven - 41 years ago :eek:
    I believe I'm a semi professional wood turner. This means that I get half the money I should and make stuff which looks less than professional. I bang things together in a squarish fashion from time to time too. Entirely self taught as well, this is instantly recognisable in my work in the way things very rarely fit together.
    I saw the light after some years designing and building gardens. As time progressed, I tended to put more and more wood into the design until I realised that wood was what I wanted to be involved with.
    Somebody previously in this thread, said that there's a solution to every problem in woodwork - I agree; some of my best creations have been born out of solutions to mistakes. I very,very rarely chuck it on the fire.
    That's one of the many attributes which attract us to wood - it can never be perfect and it's always unique;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Im a carpenter with interests in joinery and custom work. Iv made a lot of nice bits in my time and love the feeling of completing challenging projects ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Currently a furniture maker based in North Wicklow, do everything from free standing to fitted furniture, and garden furniture ... pretty much anything in wood.
    In a former career I was an electronic engineer.... which brings me to my speciality, high-end Hi-Fi Loudspeakers, which can be seen on www.ckspeakers.com

Love anything to do with wood, electronics and tools generally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Hi, I'm a 1st year Woodwork and Technical Graphics with education student at UL. Studied Woodwork and Construction Studies for my JC and LC respectively, got A's in both of them and yet my practical woodworking skills remain catastrophic. I'm sincerely hoping by the end of the year that I can saw along and up to a line on the piece of wood because it has become ridiculous at this stage, I'm always veering a bit right. I hope to develop my woodworking skills now as a hobby. I've bought myself a work bench, chisels and other tools, planes, marking equipment, tenon and coping saws etc. Here's to the next four years of my degree! Measure twice, cut once.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I did that course myself, graduated in the year 2000.
    Its about practice really, but of course you need a certain amount of natural talent as well! One thing that I learned in UL was how to sharpen tools properly...makes a heck of a difference!
    RHunce wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 1st year Woodwork and Technical Graphics with education student at UL. Studied Woodwork and Construction Studies for my JC and LC respectively, got A's in both of them and yet my practical woodworking skills remain catastrophic. I'm sincerely hoping by the end of the year that I can saw along and up to a line on the piece of wood because it has become ridiculous at this stage, I'm always veering a bit right. I hope to develop my woodworking skills now as a hobby. I've bought myself a work bench, chisels and other tools, planes, marking equipment, tenon and coping saws etc. Here's to the next four years of my degree! Measure twice, cut once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

2 years ago today I got my first lathe. Awesome :)

Decided I needed a hobby, have a big ass garage and used to love doing woodwork in secondary school (nearly 20 years ago).

I don't know that I'll ever get to the level of some folks here, but just started buying tools recently and my partner bought me a mitre saw, clamps etc for Christmas. She also gave me a 200 to go spend on some wood to build some work benches to use in the garage so I guess that will be my first project.

I have no expierence with autocad but have started using Googles sketchup after seeing it being used on some other projects on other sites. Its incredibly easy to use so hopefully it should prevent a lot of problems at the start ;)

I hope to be a semi-regular poster to this board with each project I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi Kadman,

I'm into the woodwork for some time now. I started off on model boats and have a fair range and skill on these from sailing to steam tugs. Used to work for a captain oddly enough!! Anyway, I went into the woodwork proper. Like yourself I'm always learning and trying new things. When doing something different it always seem to need a new skill. I find building some of the jigs that takes the longest, whatever about building the piece.
    I was thinking of setting up a yahoo group , what do people think?
    I recently set up a website for some stuff I have made. Some of my projects are simple enough others not!
    My website for anyone interested is www.richardkillianwoodwork.com

Any examples of the kind of things you have built yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Worked in Brooks for years, enjoyed the softwood and hardwood end of things. Now enjoy working with wood as a hobby - shelves for books in various fashions mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Hi my name is Steven.

Carpenter + joiner by trade.
    Doing it legit the past 6 years through fas, out of my time the past 2 years and working for myself.
    I have always had a passion for creating stuff though and spent a LOT of my time building skateramps when I was younger.
    I laid my first floor when I was 12 as my dad (a programmer) got half way through it and gave up so I took over from him :P.

The aspect of the job I like is second fixing but will take on anything non the less.

I have studied tech drawing and 3d design from online courses and use it in my work quite a lot to design bedroom layouts in 3d etc.

Its nice to think that we actually have one of the best apprenticeship systems in the world through fas and its very thorough compared to a lot of countries so we should at least be proud of that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Folks, not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes, is there anyone on here that could do some work on a wooden, and about 17ft boat.

If so could you please pm me. I'm in Greystones wicklow. Thanks S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

I am a painter by trade but got a job "snagging" on sites many years back and developed my carpentry skills from there putting very bad work semi right :-) I would be average skills wise mainly second fix snagging is what I have done. I have had an interest in carpentry since then. My main interest now is garden furniture I flirted with turning ( for a few weeks) bought a really old lathe but have decided its not for me, the lathe is now for sale :-( I am currently making wardrobes for two bedrooms in my house and am enjoying using a Router and Biscuit jointer for the first time. I have several projects for the summer including a boat shaped planter and half barrels (for plants). I have a tried many different things welding, mechanics, jewellery making (gold and silver) etc etc But have a love for carpentry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andypants

Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested maybe take a look at my new facebook page: Inwood Furniture Design

If ya like what ya see will ya "like" my new page if ya can, thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Inwood-Furniture-Design/147828242042893?fref=ts

All the best,
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Hello all.
    Im a jack of "no" trade.
    Construction manager by qualification. Managing the odd one off build in my spare time. Family business is joinery and that's more or less where I spent my youth. My full time job has absolutely nothing to do with DIY/Building !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Originally from Cork but have been living Vancouver,Canada for the lastsix years, was in engineering in Ireland but decided to change careers when I got Canada, I now am a senior member of staff at a wood shop and honing my skills in my own shop inmy garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darken9

Howdy LAds
    I love wood and working with it. As a teenager I had a little workshop in the folks shed and I would get power tools for Christmas, the router is still in the shed though it's a bit rusty.
    I had always planned on being a furniture designer but during the DIT course I got dazzled by computer aided design and ended up becoming an architectural visualiser. That I still have a job considering the state of the construction industry in Ireland is a minor miracle but my hours have been cut to a 3 day week and this gets me to the reason I am here.
    The only workspace available to me at the moment is that shed in the folks with no space for any machinery. Before I quit my job and get a fas apprenticeship, if there even are any, I would love to work in a woodshop for these spare two days a week. I would work for free if I though I could learn the skills. Are you ever too old to find a mentor? Even in my late thirties I'm still hoping to find a Mr Miyagi or an Obi Wan. Someone who'd share some of his old Indian tricks.
    So if anyone around the Dublin area thinks I could be of use please drop us a line.
    I should probably start a specific thread for this so I'll leave it here.
    All the best
    Dar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Took up a bit of wood working when stuck at home with a leg injury and couple of years ago. A birch plywood clock here.
    4502762_orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TimmyE

Hi all, kind of new to boards.. Signed up years ago and forgot I had the account. My names Tim, originaly from Susex in the Uk and now living in Waterford. I grew up on the coast and sailing and was always handy enough, my Dad was an engineer and mechanic as well as keen amateur woodworker and I wound up training as a traditional boat builder. I've been at that on and off for just shy of a decade as well as doing more traditional joinery, timber framing, architectural conservation and various other odds and sods! I'm a bit of a hand tool nut and collector too. Looking forward to getting involved with some of the discussions here.

Thanks,
    Tim

TimmyE wrote: »
    Hi all, kind of new to boards.. Signed up years ago and forgot I had the account. My names Tim, originaly from Susex in the Uk and now living in Waterford. I grew up on the coast and sailing and was always handy enough, my Dad was an engineer and mechanic as well as keen amateur woodworker and I wound up training as a traditional boat builder. I've been at that on and off for just shy of a decade as well as doing more traditional joinery, timber framing, architectural conservation and various other odds and sods! I'm a bit of a hand tool nut and collector too. Looking forward to getting involved with some of the discussions here.

Thanks,
    Tim

Welcome Tim, I would love to see some of your projects be it here on the woodcraft or on the boating forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=393

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TimmyE

Thanks for the welcome Fergal, I've been lurking for quite some time and have seen a few of your projects, puts the rest of us to shame! - I,ve a couple of things on the go at the moment projects wise. I've slowed down on boats for the winter, the large shed is too cold and wet to work in at this time of year but in progress is the light restoration and re-planking of a Rankin sailing dinghy, another "light" restoration of a 1960's Royal Navy shipyard built Clinker 14 footer (a RNSA 14' or Admiralty 14' for those that are into these things) and a major restoration of a 1930's built Lobster punt from Tarbert Loch Fyne in Scotland. In the small, wood heated workshop, I'm currently playing with my latest toy - a record power CL3 lathe as well as restoring a number of hand tools (some of which may find their way onto adverts in the fullness of time), about to commence a Nicholson-style workbench and have a couple of engineering projects on the go as well - restoring a 1950's "Cylemaster" and a late '40's Humber High Nelly. Plus there's my Series Land Rover. To be sorted! Idle hands and all that!

Advertisement