Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woodshavings (general woodworking chat thread)

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was a long chainsaw cut into it, but i took that off, just needed a hand saw, and it looks a little better underneath. this is about a foot long top to bottom, in this photo.

550285.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what a day to help someone assemble a lathe with a shipping weight of 165KG. i drank two pints of water in the process and sweated it all straight back out.

i suppose i shouldn't have expected more from a cheap aldi (or lidl?) pyrography kit. this started out straight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Straighten it. Let it heat up first, it might prevent it from breaking

i'm not too worried about it. not the first time i've bought something there thinking 'i'm going to quickly learn that this was a false economy'.

• Advertisement

Ha Ha , part of the fun. Perfect excuse to spend loads more for the top of the range item. Thats the excuse I normally use.

one thing i've never heard commented on before but have experienced several times when turning cherry - even when working with the gouge, rather than sanding - is that it often leaves a sour or bitter taste in your mouth. is this something anyone else has experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Poisonous Conditions

Wild cherry trees leaves and twigs contain prunasin, a cyanide known prussic acid that when ingested, can be fatal. Cattle and horses are the main victims of poisoning. Symptoms include gasping, weakness, excitement, dilated pupils, spasms, convulsions, coma and respiratory failure.

ooh!

one thing prompted by the comment about getting some dead standing elm in the other thread - i collected some elm seed this year for the native woodland trust; they asked on twitter for anyone who knew of any live but old elm trees to collect seed earlier this year - the hope is that if the elm is old and has survived this long, it may have resistance, or partial resistance to dutch elm disease (or another possibility is that it's so far from other elms that the beetle simply never got to it).

AFAIK they're hoping to put out the word again next year - might be worth keeping an eye out for elms and collecting some seed next year. if i remember, i'll post here again about it when it happens - elm sets seed very early compared to other trees, usually around the end of may.

• Advertisement

I think elm ranks up there with yew in beautiful timbers to turn😁

lidl have a planer thicknesser in at the moment, if anyone has any money they'd like to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Oh gotta get one of those - could pick it up from Lidl, and then drop it straight to the recycle centre to save time :D

where do people buy abrasives? i often use 2 inch sanding discs, but paying 50c each is a little steep:

https://www.thecarpentrystore.com/p/50mm-velcro-discs---10-pack/p-50mmdiscs

is it possible to get old school paint stripper at all these days?

i agreed to refinish a dining table for a neighbour, where the finish is shot, and the modern paint stripper is pathetic - 'for best results, leave between 2 and 24 hours' - harsh words would be more effective.

I guess most people will have seen this story by now, but if not, it's great.

Do the Germans have a word for that nagging fear, when you've your hands inside a machine which would turn your fingertips to mincemeat, that even though you've checked six times that it's plugged out, that it might still start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Conservation Technologies Davitt Road, Dublin, will have what you need

there are four australian cousins coming to ireland in a couple of weeks, and my mother said she'd like to send them each home with some small turned pieces i've made. but i don't know what the law is on bringing wooden items into australia - anyone here have any experience of that?

obviously, it would be biosecurity concerns or laws i'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

Wooden items are allowed into Australia if they are free from bark, insects and signs of insect damage (such as borer holes) or any other contamination. To check for insect damage look closely at wooden items for holes and sawdust. Wooden items must be declared and inspected on arrival.

Wooden items that do not meet these import conditions will be treated, exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense.

https://www.awe.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/travelling/bringing-mailing-goods#wooden-items

of course you will also have to make sure the wood is not on CITES list of endangered trees , monkey puzzle is one that grows here that is turned regularly which is banned from sale or export

• Advertisement

thank you!

that excludes all the live edge pieces so... would mainly be native stock i use, though i do have a few laburnum bits, will have to check the list for that.

any obvious tricks to drilling a hole every so slightly larger than the bit you have?

i'm trying to make replacement volume knobs for an electric guitar - drilling a 6mm hole leaves the hole too big, and i tried a 5.5mm bit and it's too small; i forced it on to an old pot, and it pulled the shaft out of the pot when i tried to remove it. am trying to think of some way to ream out just the tiniest amount from inside the 5.5mm hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

A standard steel drill bit will cut oversize if one of the cutting edges is slightly longer than the other. If you can sharpen a drill bit on the grinder then sharpen it deliberately more on one side than the other and it will cut oversize for you.

Alternatively an engineering supply crowd will have letter and number drills and there will be a size very close to what you need. From this chart https://www.engineeringclicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Drill-Size-Chart-PDF-download.pdf It looks as if a number gauge 1 or number gauge 2 would suit.

hope this helps

tim

cheers, i can try that!

Advertisement