Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land transfer - red line

• 23-02-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi all. When doing a land transfer map, the area to be transferred is usually outlined in red.. with a think line (poly line).. is this line meant to be centred on the boundary or on the outside edge of the boundary.. ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Moggaman wrote: »
    Hi all. When doing a land transfer map, the area to be transferred is usually outlined in red.. with a think line (poly line).. is this line meant to be centred on the boundary or on the outside edge of the boundary.. ?
    Thanks

Rightly or wrongly, I always do the latter. The boundary/black line should be just visible inside the red line.

Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,797 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Back in the day I would have "enclosed" the plot with the red line but in more recent years I have followed PRA guidelines by using the red line as the centre of the boundary.

Even where a new boundary was being indicated we would have drawn it with a black ink line first and then outlined it in red. Nowadays its a case of using a single red line only to represent the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micky_p

same as Muffler.
    It doesn't give great accuracy simply going on the centreline of a red line, because you have to make the red line quite thick to make it stand out whereas the old approach of a fine black line with a red outline allowed for more accuracy on the black line whilst still keeping it clearly visible

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

theres a reason its called "outlined" in red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I remember it years back as 'outlined in red' although I did 'inline in red' where multiple adjoining properties were involved and I never had a query or complaint from solicitors or as it then was, Land Registry.
    I think the black line was a) to facilitate measuring the area with a planimeter and b) to have a common style when part of the area was enclosed by an OS boundary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement