Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12V Train Transformer

• 01-06-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently got my old Lego out as my son has started taking an interest. We found my train set that had the 12v transformer (set 7864). Unfortunately when it is plugged in nothing happens. I have no idea where to start so was wondering if anyone had ideas for troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I don't know anything specific about the 12V train system - but if you have access to a multi-meter or similar, it be straight forward to work to narrow down what's a issue, by checking the power at each connection along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    I don't know anything specific about the 12V train system - but if you have access to a multi-meter or similar, it be straight forward to work to narrow down what's a issue, by checking the power at each connection along the way.

Thanks. My friend has one so will borrow it when possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

nialldinho wrote: »
    Thanks. My friend has one so will borrow it when possible
    In the general run of things, I'd guess you'll find one (or more) of:
    1. Failed transformer
    2. Bad connections
    3. Failed Motor

Hopefully it's connection(s) and you can replace wire/clean connectors. FYI (from model railways) If it comes down the connection from the train to the rails - a (gentle) abrasive pad should lift dust/grim/etc. But I'd suspect you've more than that, with that you'd typically get some movement.....

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

I recently unboxed my old 12v lego trainset for my children. 35 years and it works perfectly. Looking at the picture the track with the wires, i think is intended as a way of powering a light, drawing power from the track. There is another central rail track, with wire directly from it, that conects with a single 2 pin connector to the transformer that should power the central rail.
    on the drive under the train(6 wheels) there is a rubber covering on one wheel that helps grip. This has probably degraded but small loom bands are good replacements. also some WD and an abrasive cloth to the electrodes on the drive and the track works wonders

I recently unboxed my old 12v lego trainset for my children. 35 years and it works perfectly. Looking at the picture the track with the wires, i think is intended as a way of powering a light, drawing power from the track. There is another central rail track, with wire directly from it, that conects with a single 2 pin connector to the transformer that should power the central rail.
    on the drive under the train(6 wheels) there is a rubber covering on one wheel that helps grip. This has probably degraded but small loom bands are good replacements. also some WD and an abrasive cloth to the electrodes on the drive and the track works wonders

Thanks a mil. I’ll give it a closer look and see what else might be there. And thanks for the tips re: maintenance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Mildly abrasive cloth.
    Here is the link on bricklink to the power supply rail. quite distinctive.

Edit.. new user so cannot post links or images
    Google" Power Supply Rail
    Item No: 5063-1". Should get you the bricklink page

Mildly abrasive cloth.
    Here is the link on bricklink to the power supply rail. quite distinctive.

Edit.. new user so cannot post links or images
    Google" Power Supply Rail
    Item No: 5063-1". Should get you the bricklink page

Thanks again for this! I only got back to it today as it’s in my sisters house. It worked straight away when I connected that rail.

Advertisement