Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this floor plan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

knipex wrote: »

You should allways have a sink in the utility...

I don't think you can physically call it a utility room without one.

Otherwise it's just a closet with the washing machine in it

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

listermint wrote: »
    You don't have a sink in your laundry room ?!?

Nope, plumbing is there for it but never bothered to fit one.

We got these fancy machines for washing clothes now so no need for the sink and laundry board. :D

Graham wrote: »
    Nope, plumbing is there for it but never bothered to fit one.

We got these fancy machines for washing clothes now so no need for the sink and laundry board. :D

Yet to see a machine soak out stained clothes or baby crap ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who actually carries dirty plates from a kitchen to a utility???

That's the height of silliness in my opinion.

It's silly to have a sink and dishwasher in a utility.

Do you know what a utility is...
    Have I entered a parallel universe where people don't have a breeze...

Do you not have a sink in your kitchen??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yet to see a machine soak out stained clothes or baby crap ;)

Not an issue for us.
    sydthebeat wrote: »

You'd be surprised what people use their utility room for. Recently came across an oven & hob in a utility, the homeowner preferred them not to be on display in the kitchen!

Completely suited the way they used their kitchen.

I do the utility is right beside the cooking area

We put all our large pots and cleaning stuff in there to clean at our Leisure.

It keeps our Belfast sink and our entire kitchen area clean with guests and looks nice.

A utility room is just that. It's a working room

I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not a new concept..type in utility room into Google press images option and try locate a utility with no sink in it.

Actually sounds more like a scullery.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sounds like it needs a good oulde scrubbing..;)

Actually, a butlers pantry is more what it sounds like... the kitchen (working space) behind the actual kitchen that all the work takes place in, keeping the kitchen spotless for guests to admire.... while some poor slave works flat out...(ducking)

Sounds like your jealous of a fully functional utility room so try to take folks down to your non utility room level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Having constructed utility myself and using it a year.

You obviously have no experience of dragging dirty dishes or anything else from the kitchen to the dishwasher in it.

Utility should be as close to the kitchen as you can get it.

And you can do it that way easily off plans at this stage with no impact to views

Dishwasher should be as close to the main sink in the kitchen as possible in my opinion.
    Having the dishwasher in another room off the kitchen is madness, again in my opinion.

kceire wrote: »
    Dishwasher should be as close to the main sink in the kitchen as possible in my opinion.
    Having the dishwasher in another room off the kitchen is madness, again in my opinion.

Distance from main sink. 2 meters behind a door no noise. Works perfect for us . I designed it that way. Could have put it next to the main sink but then I'd have dishwasher noise in an entertaining area . Nah.

I don't know why this is hard to understand. It's not a new concept..type in utility room into Google press images option and try locate a utility with no sink in it.

You said dishwasher in your original post. I think that’s what people are questioning. Not a sink in a utility, that’s normal.

Distance from main sink. 2 meters behind a door no noise. Works perfect for us . I designed it that way. Could have put it next to the main sink but then I'd have dishwasher noise in an entertaining area . Nah.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. In 20 years designing houses and extensions, your the first person I’ve ever come across that wanted their dishwasher plumbed into a utility room away from the kitchen.

Washing machines and dryers yes, every day, but the dishwasher has always been placed near the main kitchen sink.

Backs up every bodies point I suppose, horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This reminds me of the family who built a new house besides the old house. They still did all their cooking in the old house so the new kitchen wouldn't get dirty.

I like cooking so for me kitchen has to be functional, having to carry pots, cups and cutlery to another room negates that. Separate dining room would be just as practical then.

It's handy to have utility room of kitchen and accessible from outside. Dirty boots and heavy items can be dragged through there. I can see the attraction of one sitting room that's kept clean but if there are budget constraints I'd rather loose a room than big windows. Big kitchen/dining room could otherwise feel a bit pokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

Thanks all for the comments. Didn't mean to start an argument about utility rooms : )

We are trying to figure out how we can open out the Sitting Room, as i think that the Living Room would be where I'd spend most of my leisure time. I like the feeling of being in a quiet enclosed room when watching a match/movie. My wife isn't sure on the kitchen sink being where it is either, as that window is facing onto the road. It's a quiet, local road, but she still doesn't like the idea of people looking in at her washing the dishes!

With regard the utility room, this will definitely be made bigger, but we don't feel the need to have it next to the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, look what you started! :D

Anybody got any further advice?
    I like it but have not looked at measurements in any detail and have zero building experience so my opinion is fairly moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

a fairly minor detail but in your living room you have a window behind your TV. Not sure if that works too well? You won't be able to wall mount the TV and the window will be nearly blocked off by it. And looking from the outside in, you'll see a nest of wires behind the TV ;)

JoeA3 wrote: »
    a fairly minor detail but in your living room you have a window behind your TV. Not sure if that works too well? You won't be able to wall mount the TV and the window will be nearly blocked off by it. And looking from the outside in, you'll see a nest of wires behind the TV ;)

Actually I did pick up on that also, TVs blocking windows are a bugbear. Is that a fireplace to the left of the proposed TV location? I don't like TVs mounted over fires (new TVs have enough of a job dissipating heat as is) but if there's no fire there, I'd have the TV on that wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don't think TV's in the corner work anymore either. That was fine and dandy when a TV took 3 men to lift into place. Modern flat panels work better on a flat wall imo, not stuck into the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

theteal wrote: »
    Actually I did pick up on that also, TVs blocking windows are a bugbear. Is that a fireplace to the left of the proposed TV location? I don't like TVs mounted over fires (new TVs have enough of a job dissipating heat as is) but if there's no fire there, I'd have the TV on that wall.

Yes that's the stove/chimney so the plan would be to mount the TV above that.

My architect seems to be in a bit of a rush to get the design finalised and sent in for planning. We went back to him with some revisions at 1PM last week and he had sent back revised drawings at 6PM, which there are some mistakes on. I know that it's one of the juniors working in the office with him, and not him, but surely he should be proofing any work going out.

If i go along now with the engineer's drawings and tell him i want it shaped something like that, is he likely to get annoyed?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kceire wrote: »
    And there’s nothing wrong with that. In 20 years designing houses and extensions, your the first person I’ve ever come across that wanted their dishwasher plumbed into a utility room away from the kitchen.

Washing machines and dryers yes, every day, but the dishwasher has always been placed near the main kitchen sink.

Backs up every bodies point I suppose, horses for courses.

My parents have their dishwasher in the utility room.

It's awful. Makes emptying it an even bigger bollocks.

Never had a sink in any utility room in my life. The idea of keeping the kitchen sink good looking and not using it for what sinks are designed to be used for seems a bit notiony to me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO, in the architect version I would hate the office to be off the dining area like that. Just seems the wrong place for it, and will be harder to get peace and quiet if you're trying to work right off the kitchen / dining area.

I prefer your friends version. I like the closed off living room as I have a preference for cosier living areas, and if I was watching a match or whatever being able to hear someone working away in the kitchen or boiling the kettle would drive me crazy. Also anyone in the kitchen is going to be cheesed off if all they can hear is the TV. Office location is definitely better.

The main thing for me with utility room is that you can't hear the washing machine from the living areas.

The architect's kitchen design is very modern but I think your friends is probably more practical. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Go with the friends one for the most part

I'll get lambasted for this but you have too many windows in your living room and its causing you to jam a TV in a corner or mount in over the fireplace.
    Take one of the corner ones out at either side of the fireplace and dedicate that to your TV and arrange sofa's around it.
    I personally hate furniture or tv's up against windows.
    Same for the sitting room. It seems that you have said I want as many windows as I can cram in and I'll fit the furniture in around it.

Now for the less controversial
    Dont have a slider out to the patio, have bi folds. A slider only lets you have half the access. If we get any sun you can open the whole space up. Keep the patio on the same level as the kitchen floor.

I cannot fathom people putting the dishwasher in the utility room. Have you heard the noise that comes out of dishwashers theses days, they are very very quiet. What are you doing in the kitchen that its distracting you, Sleeping? If you are conversing you will not hear it.

Maybe ditch the landing window in favour of a skylight? But I'm not sold on that idea myself
    I prefer your architects stairs, the other stairs is very big

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

How bloody big a TV are you installing? Reminds me of that joke... the definition of poverty: when your flat screen is too big for your trailer.....

Simple thing about design... it is YOUR decision in the end, how you live, what it right for you and how you want your house to function.... that is all that matters. You will get a thousand different answers to your original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Just a note on dishwashers in kitchens....we bought a new one last year, chose one with low decibel level and it's very quiet. I wouldn't decide on location of dishwasher solely based on noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

seannash wrote: »
    Go with the friends one for the most part

I'll get lambasted for this but you have too many windows in your living room and its causing you to jam a TV in a corner or mount in over the fireplace.
    Take one of the corner ones out at either side of the fireplace and dedicate that to your TV and arrange sofa's around it.
    I personally hate furniture or tv's up against windows.
    Same for the sitting room. It seems that you have said I want as many windows as I can cram in and I'll fit the furniture in around it.

Now for the less controversial
    Dont have a slider out to the patio, have bi folds. A slider only lets you have half the access. If we get any sun you can open the whole space up. Keep the patio on the same level as the kitchen floor.

I cannot fathom people putting the dishwasher in the utility room. Have you heard the noise that comes out of dishwashers theses days, they are very very quiet. What are you doing in the kitchen that its distracting you, Sleeping? If you are conversing you will not hear it.

Maybe ditch the landing window in favour of a skylight? But I'm not sold on that idea myself
    I prefer your architects stairs, the other stairs is very big

+1 on bifolds.
    I wouldnt go back to sliding doors again.

+1 on the windows.
    You are going to cook in those rooms unless you install blinds or some sort of awning outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don't think TV's in the corner work anymore either. That was fine and dandy when a TV took 3 men to lift into place. Modern flat panels work better on a flat wall imo, not stuck into the corner.

I have not seen wall mourned TV work in a house. They are normally mounted too high to watch comfortably.

I was always told that the mid point of the screen should be at eye level and as screens have gotten bigger that means they need to sit lower.

To sit comfortably on the sofa and watch TV it needs to be mounted with the base no more than 600mm from the floor.. That looks stupid when wall mounted..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

knipex wrote: »
    I have not seen wall mourned TV work in a house. They are normally mounted too high to watch comfortably.

I was always told that the mid point of the screen should be at eye level and as screens have gotten bigger that means they need to sit lower.

To sit comfortably on the sofa and watch TV it needs to be mounted with the base no more than 600mm from the floor.. That looks stupid when wall mounted..

Mid point at eye level is for work stations from an ergonomics point of view.
    It doesnt really apply to a TV as you are sitting much further away.
    Also, multiple people are watching it so you will only have 1 person with the perfect setup, everyone else will be at some angle.

Its obvious when its too high or too low, but there is a huge range of wall height for a TV.

• Advertisement

Wall mounting a TV doesn't specifically mean it has to go up high. I wouldn't be a fan of that either. As mentioned, I'm especially not a fan of TVs over fireplaces as it's going to cause issues on with the lifespan of the TV. Low mounted TVs can look really nice and tidy. Some really good examples over on AVforums

One picked at random

Advertisement