Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking

Options
  • 13-05-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

A very petty topic I know but I'm just wondering could someone help me. A couple of times I've had to park across the road from my house. I park in front of someone else's house in the estate but the road itself is public. I'm not obstructing anything and all cars can get by etc. Recently, the lady has bought and erected a no parking sign and stuck it on her wall. Whenever I park there she refers to the sign and makes me move. Other people in the estate now have to park on the other side of the road and it causes obstructions as there are cars parked on both sides now.

Is this woman allowed just put up a no parking sign? Is there any way I can complain and get it taken down. Its attached to her front wall facing out.

Petty I know.

Kind regards.

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

dougiex06 wrote:
    Is this woman allowed just put up a no parking sign? Is there any way I can complain and get it taken down. Its attached to her front wall facing out.

Just ignore it. You've as much right to park there as she has, assuming no obstruction/double yellows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ignore it. Some people in estates get a bit funny about parking, best to just ignore her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ignore it and if she bothers you tell you'll report her to the Gardai for intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As a car enthusiast, I'd advise about putting cameras in the car or a camera in a window / garden in a way that your car is visible when parked. Someone who thinks she has the "right" to impede parking on a public space because she doesn't like it, is probably not beyond damaging your car in case you don't agree with her whims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dougiex06 wrote: »
    Hi,

A very petty topic I know but I'm just wondering could someone help me. A couple of times I've had to park across the road from my house. I park in front of someone else's house in the estate but the road itself is public. I'm not obstructing anything and all cars can get by etc. Recently, the lady has bought and erected a no parking sign and stuck it on her wall. Whenever I park there she refers to the sign and makes me move. Other people in the estate now have to park on the other side of the road and it causes obstructions as there are cars parked on both sides now.

Petty I know.

Kind regards.

A

No right to put the sign up.
    Annoy her.
    Contact your local planning enforcement section and make a complaint for erecting an unauthorised sign on the front boundary wall.

They will issue letter and inspect.
    It may very well be exempt and have no legal grounding but maybe the Sectikn 152 warning letter and subsequent inspection will cause her to remove it or cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ignore it and if she bothers you tell you'll report her to the Gardai for intimidation.

Intimidation? I’d really like to see the guards reaction to someone claiming pointing to a sign, is intimidation. Love it, all we need now is for the op to say she is elderly.

Op, it’s one parking spot in an estate. Park down the street a bit, life is too short for the crap that comes with falling out with neighbors over something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Dav010 wrote: »
    Op, it’s one parking spot in an estate. Park down the street a bit, life is too short for the crap that comes with falling out with neighbors over something stupid.

The other neighbor clearly doesn't feel the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Doop wrote: »
    The other neighbor clearly doesn't feel the same...

The joys of estate living, it has all types. What’s the point in sinking to her level? All you do is wind her up and create an issue where there doesn’t need to be one.

If it wasn’t for the risk of getting damage to the car I’d nearly park there just to annoy her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If it wasn’t for the risk of getting damage to the car I’d nearly park there just to annoy her.

That's the problem though, all it takes is some oul devious biddy to scrape the car or something...

Some mental people out there, if she's mad enough to go out and get a sign, who knows what else she's capable of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If there is room for a fire engine down the street I'd park on my side tbh.

The best traffic calming measure out there is parked cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

off-topic posts deleted. Continue the grammar discussion somewhere else please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

One of our neighbors did this a few years back.

Back story.. This neighbor (I'll call him Bob) doesn't park his car in their driveway and instead uses the road outside the house as his personal parking space. One of our other neighbors (Jim) two doors down from him had visitors who parked their car outside Bob's house on the road as it was the nearest available space. When Bob got home he was furious and marched down to Jim's house demanding that these visitors move their car. No surprise Jim and Co. told Bob where to go.. :)

In retaliation Bob gets back into his car and mounts the step outside Jim's house and blocks Jim's driveway, and refused to move his car until his parking space was cleared. Not sure what happened after that but it wasn't long before Bob got back in his car and moved it two cars down from where he normally parks.

The following morning the "No Parking" sign was mounted on the wall outside the front of his house.

If I remember correctly he had the gardaí knocking on their door a few days later and the sign was gone. Can't remember the exact events but regardless the sign didn't last long...

Anyway, that's my story.. as others have said you can legally ignore her and park wherever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

are you absolutely certain you're not blocking or inconveniencing them, I have a neighbour that used to block my drive both completely and then partially, making it impossible or even just uneccesarily difficult to access without a lot more uneccesary manouvering and risk as they were blocking visibility. After one instance they suggested I just knock ask them to move and even had the gall to tell me I wasn't coming in or out at certain times, I told them where to go they started parking opposite my driveway about a foot off the kerb and right up to my driveway on our adjoining dipped section, it's completely inconsiderate and dickish behaviour which has resulted in bin trucks not being able to get past on a number of occasions, and there is plenty of space they could access or avail of, either their own driveway or a car length further for the vehicles parked opposite us, you might not be blocking their driveway but if you are making it difficult or restricting visibility for them accessing their drive then it would be reasonable and sensible to alter your parking. If you have alternative places you should avail of them for the sake of cooperation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

dougiex06 wrote: »
    Hi,

Petty I know.

Kind regards.

A

Why can you not park in your own property? Widen the driveway or concrete over the lawn if needs be to create extra parking

salonfire wrote: »
    Why can you not park in your own property? Widen the driveway or concrete over the lawn if needs be to create extra parking

Dishing the curb requires planning permission and it's not always granted. They won't grant permission for one of my neighbours despite him having a drive. I'm limited (by planning) to one space out the front of my gaffe despite there being more than enough room for two cars.

Dishing the curb requires planning permission and it's not always granted. They won't grant permission for one of my neighbours despite him having a drive. I'm limited (by planning) to one space out the front of my gaffe despite there being more than enough room for two cars.

But is it not possible to widen without dishing the kerb?

1st car in parks off to the side on a widened patch of concrete.
    2nd car in then parks behind / alongside the 1st car on the driveway itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

How do you get the 1st car out?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    How do you get the 1st car out?

By taking the 2nd car out first. A two year old could have told you that. You did not need to ask the Internet.

By taking the 2nd car out first. A two year old could have told you that. You did not need to ask the Internet.

What sort of codology is that? Every time the driver of the 2nd car wants to drive it they have to bring the driver of the 1st car out to move out of the way and then back in or else drive out the 1st car, then drive out the 2nd car, then put back the 1st car.
    What a load of cobblers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

What sort of codology is that? Every time the driver of the 2nd car wants to drive it they have to bring the driver of the 1st car out to move out of the way and then back in or else drive out the 1st car, then drive out the 2nd car, then put back the 1st car.
    What a load of cobblers.

Loads of drives are designed like that, it's hardly a new concept.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Loads of drives are designed like that, it's hardly a new concept.

It is hardly a deliberate design. Nothing could be more stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Eh, yeah. I've seen that exact layout. My friend's house has it.

Plus, my house when I was growing up had a long narrow drive so that you had to park one blocking in the other, as did all of the houses in the estate. My parents current house can fit 3 cars and to fit the 3, one has to block in another

He is perfectly entitled to park on the street though so why shouldn’t he if it suits?

The debate over offstreet parking is another story, why a front garden and single parking space are put in any house rather than two parking spaces is beyond me. These small Front gardens are a waste of time completely, good for nothing so I’ve no idea why they are put in rather than two parking spaces.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Eh, yeah. I've seen that exact layout. My friend's house has it.

Plus, my house when I was growing up had a long narrow drive so that you had to park one blocking in the other, as did all of the houses in the estate. My parents current house can fit 3 cars and to fit the 3, one has to block in another

Most likley it was designed for parking 1 car. 50 years ago, multi car households were not common.

Dishing the curb does not require planning.

It’s the alteration to the front boundary wall that requires planning. The creation or widening of an existing vehicular entrance is what you need planning for.

Once planning is granted then the roads department will dish the curb for a cost.

Some new dwellings are required to have space for 2 cars in the garden while still only allowing you to have a max opening in the wall of 3.6m.

This will involve shuffling of cars to get them out in the future but it’s what the planning authority want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

kceire wrote: »
    Some new dwellings are required to have space for 2 cars in the garden while still only allowing you to have a max opening in the wall of 3.6m.

This will involve shuffling of cars to get them out in the future but it’s what the planning authority want.

It does depend on the shape and size of the front garden though - we have no problem getting both cars in and out without shuffling, and we haven't modified the wall opening.

kceire wrote: »
    Dishing the curb does not require planning.

It’s the alteration to the front boundary wall that requires planning. The creation or widening of an existing vehicular entrance is what you need planning for.

Once planning is granted then the roads department will dish the curb for a cost.

Thanks for the correction but any ideas why I'm limited to one car in my drive which will take two? This is specifically on the planning.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the correction but any ideas why I'm limited to one car in my drive which will take two? This is specifically on the planning.

What kind of house is it?
    Is it new build in a corner garden?

One reason could also be the drainage plan for the area. The designers may has used the hard standing for permeable paving and allowed the soft landscaping to take rain water away and not be discharged into the public system.

Advertisement