Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

It's an illness alright......

All i wanted to do was replace my broken Pulsar quartz back in 2017,then decided to make it something special,then tried to get a Omega for a stupid price,found watch forums,found another watch called Bell-Matic,decided to research that to death,took a trip to Wicklow,ended up with a stopwatch,took a trip to Prague,went to nearly every watch shop/museum in Prague,nearly missed my taxi due to a watch,proceeding to research that to death.:o:D

Love that Omega Mariner,was going to bid on this one [Link]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Love that Omega Mariner,was going to bid on this one [Link]
    Did you win it IP?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wibbs wrote: »
    Did you win it IP?

:( I wish,was putting in my bid of €350 around the 5 second mark,jumped to €380 before i confirmed bid,then lost my bottle :mad::o

Also found this post,properly already saw it with some great information on the Mariner series along with this model i never saw before

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?117474-The-Omega-Seamaster-Quartz-Mariner-Saga-I-II-and-III

ijHSVCI.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pity you lost out. Dealers look for silly money, over a grand in some cases, but in open auctions honest examples tend to go for around the 4-600 quid mark. I suspect the recent world plague has softened the cough of a few buyers, so went "low" for one of them.

The one you pictured is sadly not original. The dial's been swapped. A couple of them were sold in big name auctions, but never left Omega looking like that. Then again auctions, no matter the name above the door can be dubious and not a great judge on originality. Pretty much all of them have sold re dials, put togethers, or even outright fakes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Eoin wrote: »
    Kinda miss the Longines Chrono

I very nearly put it up the other day, then I switched the rubber strap back on it - changed my mind instantly! Reckon the rubber works best on it. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea as a watch, but I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I very nearly put it up the other day, then I switched the rubber strap back on it - changed my mind instantly! Reckon the rubber works best on it. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea as a watch, but I really like it.

They're a great watch - "in house" column wheel chronograph for a decent price.

Changing to a rubber strap is a good idea, the bracelet is too fussy for a watch that already has a lot going on. Plus it feels a bit tinny IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Carlo11

Some beautiful watches on here. While I don't post very much, I do read a lot of your advice to try to educate myself on watches.

Bought in this order and all milestone watches:
    Tag Carrera Twintime: on bracelet.
    Tag Carrea : on leather strap.
    Tag F1 black face with red numbers on rubber strap.
    Rolex DJ 41 blue dial, fluted bezel on jubilee. (Bought new locally.)
    Hamilton Khaki pilot.
    Rolex Batman on jubilee. (Bought new locally.) Haven't worn it yet as I am waiting for my 40th but feeling quite guilty now!

My grail watch is a Daytona and possibly a Portugieser before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

IMG-2952a.jpg

This is the current collection of working watches. Am going through a transition and getting rid of some to make room for newer ones. Tastes change!

Left row from top is a Seagull 63, a 1950s chrono and a 1960s chrono. Both these have landeron movements.
    2nd row is a Speedie and a William L (cheapish quartz chrono)
    3rd row is an IWC form the 60s with a very early eco drive in the middle and a Seamaster 30 from 1962 at the bottom.
    Then the right hand row is a trusty Casio illuminator from 1997 and a no name Parnis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Potato pic removed

This is the current collection of working watches. Am going through a transition and getting rid of some to make room for newer ones. Tastes change!

What model of potato did you use to take this pic Trigger? ;)

Some lovely looking pieces but quality not great when you zoom in :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

sparrowcar wrote:
    What model of potato did you use to take this pic Trigger? ;)

Some lovely looking pieces but quality not great when you zoom in :)

You need a loupe.

Can you make a list of what's what Trigger, I see chronos on the left anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Sorted now gents. Now stop yer complaining and carry on perving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shano76

Lovely collection. Can I ask what the strap is on the Stowa Antea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

shano76 wrote: »
    Lovely collection. Can I ask what the strap is on the Stowa Antea?

Assume you refer to my Antea.

It’s JPM Leather Nato nato that I bought on TZ. It used by brown with destress blue denim effect which has faded off at this point

03-ECBDFA-4086-40-A8-BC73-5-DA76-F049988.jpg

Original owner bought on below website. Can’t find it at the moment but you can have a look.

https://bulangandsons.com/products/caramel-brown-nato-leather-watch-strap?_pos=62&_sid=400585a55&_ss=r

https://bulangandsons.com/products/denim-blue-retro-leather-watch-strap

https://bulangandsons.com/products/lumberjack-brown-nato-leather-watch-strap?_pos=54&_sid=400585a55&_ss=r

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shano76

Thanks. Really nice strap! Really changes the look of the Antea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Grabbed two pictures this morning before taking the Sinn for today.

IMG-20200408-083554.jpg

IMG-20200408-083655.jpg

Hmm, those pictures are not great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

509508.jpeg.

Embedding isn't work ing for me...:-(

Flickr is an absolute pain in the ringpiece as far as sharing photos is concerned B. I took a screen grab and tweaked and embedded it for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I use flickr, it's fine. Just click on the share icon (bottom right), and choose the "BBCode" option.

You'll get something like this

[noparse]
    LINK_TO_PHOTOPHOTO_NAME by FLICKR_NAME, on Flickr
    [/noparse]

If you don't want links to your flickr profile, just use the tag.

I use flickr, it's fine. Just click on the share icon (bottom right), and choose the "BBCode" option.

You'll get something like this

[noparse]
    LINK_TO_PHOTOPHOTO_NAME by FLICKR_NAME, on Flickr
    [/noparse]

If you don't want links to your flickr profile, just use the tag.

I use it as well. I download a medium icon on to the laptop and then use manage attachments here to upload it. Haven’t managed to upload a pic here using my iPhone here yet though.

No need to download it to your laptop if you don't want to, you can just embed the photo that's on Flickr. I am pretty sure you can't get to someone's profile based on the image's URL, if that's a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Some people were upset by my untidiness the last time I posted a pic of my collection so here it is again.

509518.JPG

509519.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Wibbs wrote: »
    Flickr is an absolute pain in the ringpiece as far as sharing photos is concerned B. I took a screen grab and tweaked and embedded it for you.

Thank you sir! Helpful as always.

I will try the suggestions for embedding next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Cyclingtourist, what's the Tissot?

I think some on here hold the likes of Hamilton etc in greater regard, but Tissot are at least far more aesthetically pleasing imo. Have a 516 and always tempted by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cyclingtourist, what's the Tissot?

It's a Ballade Powermatic 80 COSC certified chronometer 39mm. Bought it in Lanzagrotty last year.

Hamilton & Tissot it are both part of the Swatch group and use modified Eta (also part of the group)movements. When I start buying again I'm thinking of getting a Hamilton Khaki auto.

No need to download it to your laptop if you don't want to, you can just embed the photo that's on Flickr. I am pretty sure you can't get to someone's profile based on the image's URL, if that's a concern.

I use flickr mainly for re-sizing so that the image is the proper size for boards, I find that the simplest way to re-size. There's probably a simpler way to re-size images, but as a farmer that mostly types with 1 finger I haven't discovered it yet:o

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

This one isnt bad either, just upload to boards after -

https://resizeimage.net/

blue5000 wrote: »
    I use flickr mainly for re-sizing so that the image is the proper size for boards, I find that the simplest way to re-size. There's probably a simpler way to re-size images, but as a farmer that mostly types with 1 finger I haven't discovered it yet:o

They auto-resize them for you too! click the "download" button and there is an option to "view all sizes", and from there you can choose which one to embed directly. It's very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Latest pic here

512127.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Avianna Quaint Typography

Bren_C wrote: »
    Latest pic here

Very nice, the airking is awesome, I love that watch so interesting and unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

512162.jpg

512163.jpg

512164.jpg

I hate the strap that the Timex is on so that needs replacing at some point as does the strap for the Yema.

Advertisement