Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Political Parties Overview

Options
  • 12-10-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi everyone. This is my first post in Politics forum here. I did a small research but wasn't able to find a good information source.

Is there a website/resource with overview of main Irish political parties, their programmes (less important) and real views/activities (more important). I'm going to vote first time next year and would like to make a research and have a proper opinion before voting.

Main question of interests:
    - Parties' views on healthcare system in Ireland
    - Parties views on unemployment in Ireland
    - Opinions on EU membership
    - Economic programmes
    - Foreign policy
    - Immigrants rights

Less important, but very interesting questions:
    - Opinion on TV License/Irish Water
    - Public sector jobs (increase/decrease etc)
    - Views on freedom of abortion
    - Views on religion in schools and catholic only schools

Little bit of my background. I'm a Russian citizen living and working in Ireland for 6 years. I don't watch local TV (well I haven't watched it in Russia either), so I'm don't know much about politics scene here. I used to read Metro/Herald but I don't have long commutes anymore, so I stopped reading it several years ago :)
    I understand that there is a zero chance that I can find a resource with all information I've asked but if you can give me a direction where to look for it I'd highly appreciate that.
    E.g. it is quite easy to find party's views on EU membership, but it is quite difficult to get information on unemployment/social welfare abuse problem. It is also quite difficult for newbie to find info about party's declarations vs real actions.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Main question of interests:
    - Parties' views on healthcare system in Ireland - none want to pay for it, all agree its sub-standard. we had a party that admitted to wanting to privatise it, but they're gone now.
    - Parties views on unemployment in Ireland - all of them want multinationals to solve it, Labour/FG and FF don't really want to promote irish business.... Sinn Fein and AAA don't really want to promote business, not sure what the Greens views are.
    - Opinions on EU membership, all Pro, except Sinn Fein who used to be vocally anti-EU..now have eased off, and AAA who are more or less anti-EU
    - Economic programmes - all have the same...buy votes and treat the electorate like kids at Christmas.
    - Foreign policy - all have the same, give the US and the EU what they want. we're too small to have any meaningful policies on Mid-East, 3rd world etc
    - Immigrants rights - all parties afraid to have a policy on this

Less important, but very interesting questions:
    - Opinion on TV License/Irish Water - all pretend to be against...but when it comes down to it, they'll implement it anyway. except Sinn Fein and AAA, who are against but haven't provided an alternative
    - Public sector jobs (increase/decrease etc) everyone is afraid of the trade unions, so they all appease at all costs. fine gael pretend to be hard line, but they fold just as fast as anyone else
    - Views on freedom of abortion - fine gael/fianna fail are more or less anti choice, greens, AAA, labour pro choice. don't know if Sinn Fein have a policy.
    - Views on religion in schools and catholic only schools - labour seem to be the only ones unhappy with the current situation. fine gael and fianna fail rely on the senior catholic vote, so they're happy to let the situation continue as is.

Advertisement