Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Corballis House

• 07-04-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,

Whatever happened to the old Georgian house that was situated just by the terminal at Dublin airport. Is is still there or was it demolished for the T2 works?

Always thought it looked out of place but it was a nice feature!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

yup that's the one!

cheers for that. interesting read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'm surprised that it was not in the contract to rebuild Corballis House stone for stone in another clearly visible location on the grounds of the airport.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'm surprised that it was not in the contract to rebuild Corballis House stone for stone in another clearly visible location on the grounds of the airport.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was to be rebuilt !

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Interesting article here !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Why?

It was a lovely building ,but has no place in a modern Airport?

Why?

It was a lovely building ,but has no place in a modern Airport?
    One could say the same about the original 1930's Art Deco building of Terminal 1, its now out dated, taking up space and the control tower will never be used again etc.

Corballis House was a part of the furniture at Dublin Airport just as the Terminl 1 building, It has been there before the airport existed and had the right to be preserved as a part of Dublin Airport heratige. It could have been converted into a museum or an exclusive Hotel / Guest accomodation.

One could say the same about the original 1930's Art Deco building of Terminal 1, its now out dated, taking up space and the control tower will never be used again etc.

Corballis House was a part of the furniture at Dublin Airport just as the Terminl 1 building, It has been there before the airport existed and had the right to be preserved as a part of Dublin Airport heratige. It could have been converted into a museum or an exclusive Hotel / Guest accomodation.

Only difference is that the old terminal bldg was designed specifically for Airport purposes, Corballis house was not.

That's the difference.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we have to move on;)

Only difference is that the old terminal bldg was designed specifically for Airport purposes, Corballis house was not.

That's the difference.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we have to move on;)
    Being so unusual and "totally out of place" was one of the characters of this building and more the reason for retaining it.

I am sure many who have arrived into Dublin for the first time would have said WTF when they saw it.

Being so unusual and "totally out of place" was one of the characters of this building and more the reason for retaining it.

I am sure many who have arrived into Dublin for the first time would have said WTF when they saw it.

Perhaps you might explain how they would see it as the transport out of the Airport all went in the opposite direction?

• Advertisement

Perhaps you might explain how they would see it as the transport out of the Airport all went in the opposite direction?
    Unless they are going to make their return journey by boat or through Shannon they would hardly have missed it.

I thought that Corbillis House being a grade A listed building was to be dismantled stone for stone and rebuilt in some other part of the airport complex as one of the conditions of building T2.

2ue47jb.jpg

Is this ever going to happen or will it be swept under the carpet like many other projects that was supposed to have happened in this country over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Best as I recall the planning permission allowed for it's complete demolition with the preservation of it's internal features for further re-use. It won't be rebuilt. It's gone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

xflyer wrote: »
    ......It won't be rebuilt. It's gone.

Yep. Its disgraceful. A piece of history thrown away.

Tenger wrote: »
    Yep. Its disgraceful. A piece of history thrown away.
    If it was any private organisation they would pay the price for demolishing such a building and not doing anything to relocate / replace it. One law for them and another one for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

xflyer wrote: »
    Best as I recall the planning permission allowed for it's complete demolition with the preservation of it's internal features for further re-use. It won't be rebuilt. It's gone.

IIRC they were allowed by An Bord Pleanála to demolish it. The fixtures and fittings worth salvaging were to be removed along with some of its plasterwork. I heard they were going to re-use it whilst revamping Cloghran Stud Farm which is owned and maintained by the DAA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it was any private organisation they would pay the price for demolishing such a building and not doing anything to relocate / replace it. One law for them and another one for everyone else.

Archers Garage was demolished without planning (and indeed in direct contravention of an order not to). DAA were given permission.

That rebuild is a horrible mockery of the original building as it is, they managed to get every minor feature wrong AND the height of the tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If it was any private organisation they would pay the price for demolishing such a building and not doing anything to relocate / replace it. One law for them and another one for everyone else

Not always true unfortunately -

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/published/published_books/docklands/east%20wall/pub_books_docklands_wiggins.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It was a real pity they knocked it. I would have preferred to see a design that somehow incorporated the building, it was an unusual quirk for an international airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I thought i read somewhere that on further investigation, the building was not as historic as previously thought. I can't remember any more details though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Sorry to bump an old thread but is there any indication as to what happened to the remains of the house? I thought I recall at the time that the outer wall was numbered as if it was going to be deconstructed and rebuilt somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

re the old Tower in the 1930s terminal; it was kept in usable condition as a spare in case the "new" tower went down and it was used more than once in that time. It may yet be still fit to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I think it was on this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103447346
    and this article https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/corballis-house-set-to-be-demolished-27767426.html

I remember someone saying to me that it has been rebuilt somewhere but I cant find anything to back that statement up.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Stovepipe wrote: »
    re the old Tower in the 1930s terminal; it was kept in usable condition as a spare in case the "new" tower went down and it was used more than once in that time. It may yet be still fit to use.

It's still a contingency tower. Used twice a year in anger afaik to make sure everything and everyone is up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/dublin-airport-the-bits-passengers-don-t-get-to-see-1.3427094

Article here suggesting Met Eireann use it. Interesting article never the less...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Merged with other old thread. Wiling to give it a couple of days open again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gallftree008/8294722505

This image would suggest it wasn't demolished in such a way that would have allowed rebuilding elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

blackwhite wrote: »
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/gallftree008/8294722505

This image would suggest it wasn't demolished in such a way that would have allowed rebuilding elsewhere

Sure you can see them there, labelling the blocks with their labelling digger.

I always thought it was a shame to see it go, it was a nice quirk of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

hardCopy wrote: »
    Sure you can see them there, labelling the blocks with their labelling digger.

I always thought it was a shame to see it go, it was a nice quirk of the airport.

I agree it used to look lovey all light up at xmas. To be honest T2's placement is all wrong too near the runway for expansion

• Advertisement
Advertisement