Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow drivers.... Slow for a reason...

Options
  • 30-05-2019 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Listening to the local radio station today and a lady text in.

She has to make a 20km drive from her home to school, for her child who is autistic child 5 days a week. She drives under a certain speed so not to upset/trigger off her son.

Everyday. Everyday, she says she get hooted at and is the victim of road rage from other drivers. She said the beeping and hooting distresses her son.

My heart actually broke for her. What a distressing suitation to be in.

I've posted this so to make others aware that maybe not all slow drivers are pain in the hole and should get off the road.

I'm guilty myself for road rage, but this really makes me think twice, we really don't know the full story. If your in a rush or late for work.... That's ur responsibility... Leave 10min earlier next time.

Let's just be more aware of people who have it tougher than us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I notice the speed she drives at isn't mentioned. Maybe if she let other drivers pass they wouldn't be getting so irate.

I've posted this so to make others aware that maybe not all slow drivers are pain in the hole and should get off the road.

you havent demonstrated this imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Get ta f--k.
    Moralistic **** post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

She has to make a 20km drive from her home to school, for her child who is autistic child 5 days a week. She drives under a certain speed so not to upset/trigger off her son.

Everyday. Everyday, she says she get hooted at and is the victim of road rage from other drivers. She said the beeping and hooting distresses her son.

I'm guilty myself for road rage, but this really makes me think twice, we really don't know the full story. If your in a rush or late for work.... That's ur responsibility... Leave 10min earlier next time.

how exactly are drivers behind a slow driver, supposed to know this is the reason why she's driving slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

F34 wrote: »
    I notice the speed she drives at isn't mentioned. Maybe if she let other drivers pass they wouldn't be getting so irate.

Honestly often that doesn't matter if it's 30 or 60. My husband is doing his license at the moment and when he started driving on the big roads here, the amount of people that would get their knickers twisted because he's doing 65 instead of 80 is crazy.

The world would be a better place if people would be nicer to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The child is only autistic five days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

LirW wrote: »

It would be better if there wasn't slow fcukers clogging up the roads with big mutton heads on themselves and refusing to move into the hard shoulder to let others by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I'd never sound my horn for a slow driver though it does get frustrating when they make no effort to accommodate others who are gathering behind them.

What I would say is for the car behind, if you don't want to over take leave a few cars of space so that others can. The amount of tail gating that goes on is ridiculous. It forces cars to overtake multiple cars and gives no way to get back in should the need arise (like someone pulling out of a drive way or side road who isn't looking for example).

These tail gaters are oblivious to the danger they are causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Surely there's some sort of window sticker or bumper sticker for the back of the car that could say "slow driver, autistic passenger" or something. Bit like people give L plates a break for driving slow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

LirW wrote: »
    Honestly often that doesn't matter if it's 30 or 60. My husband is doing his license at the moment and when he started driving on the big roads here, the amount of people that would get their knickers twisted because he's doing 65 instead of 80 is crazy.

When you say 'doing his license', do you mean he's preparing to sit a driving test?

If so, then with all due respect, he'll fail his test if he drives at just 65 km/h in an 80 km/h zone. It's called 'lack of progress' and is one of the most common reasons for failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I hope the child is ok. If its that much of an issue being beeped by others. She should get a banner/sticker put on the car to warn others she cant go quick.

But there really are dopey stupid people driving who annoy the ****e out of a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Slow drivers are dangerous. Especially those drivers who maintain a slow speed while merging into a motorway at the very end of the merging lane!!! The amount of near accidents I've seen, including a truck having to veer into the overtaking lane due to a slowmo merging into the motorway.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Tough Crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Driving too slow is just as dangerous as speeding. Try taking your driving test at 20/30km an hour and see if you pass.

Edit: What if you are on time for work and some idiot is doing 30/40km in a 60 zone, making you late!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think I could ever be called a slow driver. But I've never once in my life beeped at or tailgated someone who was driving slowly.

Half the c**ty behaviour on the roads is caused by impatient f**ks.

Cannot abide excessively slow drivers. Fair enough in this woman's case but when some people just decide they'd rather drive at 55 when the limit is 80 my blood begins to boil - they've taken it upon themselves to waste some of my life/time because they don't feel comfortable at that speed or whatever in which case they simply shouldn't be on the roads.

Even worse are their superior attitudes born out of a belief that they're "safer" drivers, when really they just cause frustation in other road users leading to rash decision making and even more accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I don't think I could ever be called a slow driver. But I've never once in my life beeped at or tailgated someone who was driving slowly.

Half the c**ty behaviour on the roads is caused by impatient f**ks.

and BMW drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

anacc wrote: »
    Surely there's some sort of window sticker or bumper sticker for the back of the car that could say "slow driver, autistic passenger" or something. Bit like people give L plates a break for driving slow.

Yes but they should still pull in when safe to do so to let people through.

If it's happening every day you'd have to wonder if she'd be better off driving faster and avoid the horns. To be getting beeped every day she must be driving very slowly.

Seconded, or is that thirded, on the sticker idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

anacc wrote: »

Wheelchair symbol is probably universal and would probably reduce the road rage, blinds on the windows would do for the child, how would a child know the difference between 60kph and 80kph. Whatever this woman thinks, people will be aggressive if she's not keeping up with the general speed of traffic as she's causing an obstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Cannot abide excessively slow drivers. Fair enough in this woman's case but when some people just decide they'd rather drive at 55 when the limit is 80 my blood begins to boil - they've taken it upon themselves to waste some of my life/time because they don't feel comfortable at that speed or whatever in which case they simply shouldn't be on the roads.

Even worse are their superior attitudes born out of a belief that they're "safer" drivers, when really they just cause frustation in other road users leading to rash decision making and even more accidents.

You need to take a chill pill, and stop letting yourself be coerced into making rash decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

But what about all those people who need to get to their destination 30 seconds quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Cordell

Driving extremely slow is dangerous, she has no right to endanger and frustrate other drivers that cannot know she's driving slow for a good reason.
    And in general, driving slower than the rest is quite unsafe, for both driver and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I leave early for work. Its all the other whoors who clog the roads up that make me late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There is not much wrong with driving slower once the person pulls over or in to let faster cars overtake safely. There is nothing worse than trying to negotiate around a slow driver who seems to have absolutely no regard for other road users - having said that there are also some eegits who have no idea what appropriate speed is. I can't abide horn beeping in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

F34 wrote: »

Unless she's driving in the middle of the road surely they could pass her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

no prob with slow drivers , but the tossers who wont let you pass by weaving or going wide
    or even speed up if you try , should be beheaded at the roadside

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Driving too slow is just as dangerous as speeding as someone has already mentioned. Not driving at a "suitable speed" relative to the speed limit and other road users is actually a failable offence if taking the driving test. I'm sure her son would find it very difficult to even distinguish what speed they are travelling at anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cordell wrote: »
    Driving extremely slow is dangerous, she has no right to endanger and frustrate other drivers that cannot know she's driving slow for a good reason.
    And in general, driving slower than the rest is quite unsafe, for both driver and others.

Ah that's kind of BS. Nine times out of ten its some aul lad or aul one who's just doing their best.

If you're in any way a decent driver you should know that you need to anticipate unexpected situations and drive at a speed that allows you to react to them in time.

Encountering a much slower vehicle isn't that rare and if you find it's creating a dangerous situation, you're probably not that great shakes a driver yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Grayson wrote: »
    Unless she's driving in the middle of the road surely they could pass her?

Hence why everyone is saying she should pull into the hard shoulder to allow people to pass hence no frustrated drivers behind her.

Advertisement