Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

kceire wrote: »
    If most streets, particularly small estates, if people park cars correctly on opposite sides of the road, the large vans or emergency vehicles can not pass.

If the 2 cars are blocking vehicles then 1 of them is not parked correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

amcalester wrote: »

Which one?
    My own estate for example, if both cars parked opposite each other, another car wouldnt fit down the middle of the road.

Which one?
    My own estate for example, if both cars parked opposite each other, another car would fit down the middle of the road.

Assuming it’s legal to park on both sides of the street, not blocking an entrance etc whoever parked first is ok but the second to park is obstructing traffic and this is an offense.

Now, as an observer it’d be impossible to say who parked first but that’s irrelevant, 1 of them has parked incorrectly.

Assuming it’s legal to park on both sides of the street, not blocking an entrance etc whoever parked first is ok but the second to park is obstructing traffic and this is an offense.

Now, as an observer it’d be impossible to say who parked first but that’s irrelevant, 1 of them has parked incorrectly.

But both are parked legally, not blocking entrances etc

But both are parked legally, not blocking entrances etc

Interfering with the normal flow of traffic is an offense. As is parking in a way that obstructs traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which one?
    My own estate for example, if both cars parked opposite each other, another car would fit down the middle of the road.

Would a bin lorry fit down the middle? Or a fire brigade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dav010 wrote: »
    Intimidation? I’d really like to see the guards reaction to someone claiming pointing to a sign, is intimidation. Love it, all we need now is for the op to say she is elderly.

Ignore it and if she bothers you tell you'll report her to the Gardai for intimidation.

If you took the 2-3 seconds to read the post correctly you would see that your strawman is in fact a strawman....

Or the street is too small to park two cars on it.

The Irish and their obsession with owning what will never be theirs. OP make it your mission to park in front of this cows house and any damage to your car while parked there can be attributed to said cow and/or her crotch goblins.

Even if you do everything by the law and the council/Gardai tell this degenerate that the street is public and anybody can park there, she will still believe she is "entitled" to that piece of land before anybody else. People that do this are vermin.

Would a bin lorry fit down the middle? Or a fire brigade?

Nope. That’s my point.
    Both cars will Park half on the path this allowing free movement.

Interfering with the normal flow of traffic is an offense. As is parking in a way that obstructs traffic.

So both park half on the path and traffic flows perfectly. That’s what Is done in mine and 99% of small housing estates around the country.

I’m lucky I have a 2 car driveway so I don’t need to park on the path but others do :)

So both park half on the path and traffic flows perfectly. That’s what we all do so we’re sorted.

Also illegal.

Surprised a mod is advocating illegal activity contrary to the charter of the forum he nods.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Parking on half of the path also obstructs wheelchairs & the not so able bodied also forces people with prams onto the road

tradesman wrote: »
    Parking on half of the path also obstructs wheelchairs & the not so able bodied also forces people with prams onto the road

So what in an estate? Most people walk or wheel buggys on the road regardless. Allowing everyone park and in a way that doesn’t block the road is more important than keeping a very underused footpath clear. It is essential for people to be able to park, walking on a footpath in a fairly low traffic estate is not essential.

Remember it’s many of the people parking on the footpath are the people with buggy’s, I can’t comment on wheelchairs because I’ve never seen a wheel chair in the particular estate I’m referring to but you can be sure they would also park on the path as they would have no option really.

Too many people are detached from reality on this forum. As for legality, one of the neigbous was a guard and parked squad cars, paddy wagons and his private car on the path always same as everyone else in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So what in an estate? Most people walk or wheel buggys on the road regardless. Allowing everyone park and in a way that doesn’t block the road is more important than keeping a very underused footpath clear. It is essential for people to be able to park, walking on a footpath in a fairly low traffic estate is not essential.

Remember it’s many of the people parking on the footpath are the people with buggy’s, I can’t comment on wheelchairs because I’ve never seen a wheel chair in the particular estate I’m referring to but you can be sure they would also park on the path as they would have no option really.

Too many people are detached from reality on this forum. As for legality, one of the neigbous was a guard and parked squad cars, paddy wagons and his private car on the path always same as everyone else in the estate.

People with buggy’s and wheel chairs would park on the road / path instead of their driveways ?

Doesn’t seem likely

Cyrus wrote: »
    People with buggy’s and wheel chairs would park on the road / path instead of their driveways ?

Doesn’t seem likely

There are plenty of houses in the estate with kids, one driveway space and 2/3 cars (leaving aside visitors). So yes people from houses with young children park on the footpaths all the time. No wheel chair uses in the estate as I said so can’t comment on them.

The same people getting all high horse about parking on the footpaths and “forcing” kids to walk on the road will be the same ones defending kids who play on the roads in estates saying they have a right to be doing it an other such nonsense.

Cyrus wrote: »

Doesn’t seem likely

Same happens in my estate. Many parents actually park outside half on the path and let their kids play in the garden if they are too young to be in the road in their own. And I’m in a quiet cul de sac but all it takes is one car so I can see their point.

Just in case anyone needs reminding of the dangers that arise from pavement parking, this UK campaign would be a good starting point

https://twitter.com/hashtag/pavementsforpeople?s=09

Just in case anyone needs reminding of the dangers that arise from pavement parking, this UK campaign would be a good starting point

https://twitter.com/hashtag/pavementsforpeople?s=09

That’s bad alright but in my estate, a car can half park on the path, and a wheelchair or buggy including the modern new age mammy bugaboo mobiles can still fit past.

I think that’s their opinion that they are carrying out a fair compromise (although technically illegal) to allow free movement of traffic into the cul de sac, especially for emergency vehicles.

That’s bad alright but in my estate, a car can half park on the path, and a wheelchair or buggy including the modern new age mammy bugaboo mobiles can still fit past.

I think that’s their opinion that they are carrying out a fair compromise (although technically illegal) to allow free movement of traffic into the cul de sac, especially for emergency vehicles.

Is the path designed and built to take the weight of multi tonne vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Does the motorist inform their insurer that their vehicle is left on the footpath (in breach of RTA) and abandoned on the footpath at night?

Is the path designed and built to take the weight of multi tonne vehicles?

The road build up is a whacked layer of Clause 804 hardcore with a 75mm tar pour on top.
    The paths are a 225mm thick mass concrete pour. Both in place since 1996. So yes, the paths can take the weight of a 1.5T car is those specific locations.

The point loads from the wheels at the higher point on the path will actually put increased pressure on the side that is still on the road, so the road side actually fares worse in this situation.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Does the motorist inform their insurer that their vehicle is left on the footpath (in breach of RTA) and abandoned on the footpath at night?

It would make no difference. I know this from experience.

The road build up is a whacked layer of Clause 804 hardcore with a 75mm tar pour on top.
    The paths are a 225mm thick mass concrete pour. Both in place since 1996. So yes, the paths can take the weight of a 1.5T car is those specific locations.

The point loads from the wheels at the higher point on the path will actually put increased pressure on the side that is still on the road, so the road side actually fares worse in this situation.

So this kind of parking puts increased pressure on the road, you're saying? Who's going to pay for the extra road maintenance?

So this kind of parking puts increased pressure on the road, you're saying? Who's going to pay for the extra road maintenance?

I was hoping you'd mention that.

So you accept that the half parking on the path doesn't effect the structural capabilities of the pavement, doesn't lead to an increased rate of wear and tear, so now you move onto the road damage.

Considering the same road is in place since 1996, I'd imagine the road surface will last a significant time longer. Currently no potholes, cracking or major wear and tear present so it has lasted its constructed life cycle and will last longer.

I was hoping you'd mention that.

So you accept that the half parking on the path doesn't effect the structural capabilities of the pavement, doesn't lead to an increased rate of wear and tear, so now you move onto the road damage.

Considering the same road is in place since 1996, I'd imagine the road surface will last a significant time longer. Currently no potholes, cracking or major wear and tear present so it has lasted its constructed life cycle and will last longer.

Great to hear that the damage that typically arises from pavement parking isn't an issue in your one particular case

https://twitter.com/search?q=damage%20pavement%20parking&s=09

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Back on topic please folks.

So, about that no-parking sign.

Advertisement