Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 4 Pro Not Turning On

• 05-02-2019 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Posting here hoping someone can help me. I've looked at many posts on Google and none have been very helpful. The other day my PlayStation turned off randomly while playing a game. It didn't appear to be very hot and the console is quite clean.

The standby light wasn't on or anything and when pressing the power button it would been once, flash of the blue light then nothing. This only seems to happen once. The eject button does nothing. Holding the power button does nothing. Tapping the top of the console does nothing (this is seriously the most suggested/successful solution...)

The fan is also clean.

I tried a different plug from my PC and it seemed to work fine for the last day until it didn't. Same problems as before.

Swapped out the fuse for another 5A which didn't help. I've confirmed the plug still works in my PC so it's obviously the PlayStation.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'd like to see if I can power it up one more time just to back up years of saves as I don't have PS Plus and apparently sticking the hard drive into another PS4 will automatically wipe it.

Console is just over 2 years old but it's a whopping €200 to fix it. I have everything from a 30 year old Sega, a phat PS2 and a 360 all going strong.

Anyone know what the cause could be? I'm hesitant to buy a replacement PSU online for €100 as it may not be the issue. Raging about my game saves more than anything, they don't even guarantee you get the same console back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

sugarman wrote: »
    Any warranty is only in addition to your consumer rights and under Irish law you are protected for up to 6 years.

So dont go opening it up, try speaking to the shop and/or Sony. If neither play ball go down the small claims court route.

Id YLOD PS3 replaced after 4 years no bother, as many other did.. as well as RROD 360s back in the day.

I don't have a receipt for it and I don't know if Smyths track their sales/serials to pull up the transaction. Any suggestions on how to approach Sony with this? I'm sure they'd just tell me to pay them €200 and that's it. I haven't heard much good from Sony's customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't have a receipt for it and I don't know if Smyths track their sales/serials to pull up the transaction. Any suggestions on how to approach Sony with this? I'm sure they'd just tell me to pay them €200 and that's it. I haven't heard much good from Sony's customer service.

Paid for by card? Also, forget Sony's customer service, your contract of sale is with the retailer, that's who you talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

theteal wrote: »
    Paid for by card? Also, forget Sony's customer service, your contract of sale is with the retailer, that's who you talk to.

Paid by card by the GF, I'll get her to get the proof of payment. Although from my experience retail stores seem to think this isn't proof of purchase for returns and stuff. I feel like this is going to be a bit of an uphill battle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It is proof of purchase, it may be an uphill battle with them but you should be able to easily get it replaced or repaired. Two years lifespan for a €400 Playstation Pro is not a reasonable lifespan and no-one could really argue it is.

Just don't take any nonsense from them, the issue is between you and Smyths, and under consumer law they have to address the situation.... nothing whatsoever to do with Sony.

First step would be to talk to a manager in-store outlining the situation, and remind them of their obligations under consumer law if they spin out the 'out of warranty' yarn.

If he/she refuses to help, just ask their name and tell them you'll be writing to Smyths Head Office to outline the situation and remind them of their obligations under consumer law.....and do just that.

At that point I doubt you'd have to go the SCC but in the unlikely event head office are unhelpful and you do, it's only €25 and I can't see you losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Hi all,

Posting here hoping someone can help me. I've looked at many posts on Google and none have been very helpful. The other day my PlayStation turned off randomly while playing a game. It didn't appear to be very hot and the console is quite clean.

The standby light wasn't on or anything and when pressing the power button it would been once, flash of the blue light then nothing. This only seems to happen once. The eject button does nothing. Holding the power button does nothing. Tapping the top of the console does nothing (this is seriously the most suggested/successful solution...)

The fan is also clean.

I tried a different plug from my PC and it seemed to work fine for the last day until it didn't. Same problems as before.

Swapped out the fuse for another 5A which didn't help. I've confirmed the plug still works in my PC so it's obviously the PlayStation.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'd like to see if I can power it up one more time just to back up years of saves as I don't have PS Plus and apparently sticking the hard drive into another PS4 will automatically wipe it.

Console is just over 2 years old but it's a whopping €200 to fix it. I have everything from a 30 year old Sega, a phat PS2 and a 360 all going strong.

Anyone know what the cause could be? I'm hesitant to buy a replacement PSU online for €100 as it may not be the issue. Raging about my game saves more than anything, they don't even guarantee you get the same console back.

This has happened to me a couple of time,1st time I sent it to sony it was a day one so I had to pay the €150 to them.. the 2nd time I just changed the hard drive,that fixed it.. so id say try that first..

• Advertisement
Advertisement