Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Masters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Gracelynn Stale Vow

Clearance badly needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Always liked Trump and he is playing very well. It is just so strange seeing Ronnie being normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

BBC's fawning over Ronnie is sickening and it's disrespectful to Judd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

11 frames for the first ton! Been a match of surprises this...

If that wasn’t a push dunno what is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Axl Jealous Squeegee

If that wasn’t a push dunno what is...

I thought it was a push shot too

I thought it was a push shot too

Even the sound seemed wrong but they never give them anyway, can’t recall last time I saw a foul given for a push.

Anyway we’re in mike hallett territory now, it’s just about done you’d have to say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In that piece on BBC about 147s during the interval, Jimmy White was boasting about making 70,000 pound more than Hendry at the 1992 WC, I imagine he would swap every penny he made that year to get his hands on the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

It would some rediculous come back...

Even the sound seemed wrong but they never give them anyway, can’t recall last time I saw a foul given for a push.

There was one given the other night I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

Trump to mess up and lose the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fair play Judd Trump

In that piece on BBC about 147s during the interval, Jimmy White was boasting about making 70,000 pound more than Hendry at the 1992 WC, I imagine he would swap every penny he made that year to get his hands on the trophy.

Biggest winner there was jimmys bookie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Disappointing final really given the line up. Never would have though the match would be virtually won by the afternoon session.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I'm pretty sure Ronnie just gave his medal to a fan...Definitely handed it over, and she seemed shocked as hell so not sure...

...I'm pretty sure Ronnie just gave his medal to a fan...Definitely handed it over, and she seemed shocked as hell so not sure...

I noticed that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Gracelynn Stale Vow

Fair play Judd Trump

By far the better player today, and a deserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

I noticed that too!
    ...I also noticed Barry Hearn talking in that direction, probably trying to get it back lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

Judd looked destined to win from his first match, by far the best player of the tournament. Gave Ronnie an absolute thumping, and has taken a huge step forward in terms of how he goes about the game. Took him a while, but if can sustain this level, he could develop into the player to take the mantle from Ronnie. He actually reminded me of the Ronnie of old today, clinical, aggressive, clean, tight, controlled, and downright dangerous in all areas of the game. A well deserved win.

93% pot success, 68% long potting success, 81% safety success.

Those are pretty exceptional figures for a major final. The safety figure really stands out, reckoned Judd could play safety if he wanted but that’s a level I’ve never seen from him before.

Augurs well for coming months but there’s going to be some pressure on him at the crucible, bbc will be ramping up the trump hype. Is this finally the year etc I hope he can cope with it.

• Advertisement

Augurs well for coming months but there’s going to be some pressure on him at the crucible, bbc will be ramping up the trump hype. Is this finally the year etc I hope he can cope with it.

Yes was thinking he could head into the Crucible in really good shape following a strong season, but there will also be multiple stories for the BBC to chew on. Selby's No.1 position, MJW should soak up a lot of attention in his title defence. The twilight of Higgins career, does he have another title in him after the last two finals, and Ronnie of course.

Yes was thinking he could head into the Crucible in really good shape following a strong season, but there will also be multiple stories for the BBC to chew on. Selby's No.1 position, MJW should soak up a lot of attention in his title defence. The twilight of Higgins career, does he have another title in him after the last two finals, and Ronnie of course.

Yes that is true. My one worry about judd is he’s now second favorite in the bookies and I’m not sure he’s at his best when that level of expectation is on him. Maybe he’s mature enough to brush all that off. Fascinating prospect for sure.

I wonder do people really believe higgins is a front line contender this year. Wouldn’t rule it out completely but just way season is gone I’d be amazed if he could even match last year. Same with MJW to lesser extent but which of the younger set can step forward? Not sure on that.

Higgins looks done, and very tough for MJW to even get to final again. But with the Crucible the experience and familiarity counts for a lot it seems. If this 10 minute practice drill pre match is rolled out in the crucible it may help a few of the outsiders settle early which might swing things slightly in their favour over a longer match.

Still 3 months for Selby say, to string a bit of form together. Mark Allen went out day one in a tight one, but he's a possible contender now too. Really looking forward to Sheffield now, this was an entertaining old week of snooker

Lot of one sided matches this week but it had its moments for sure. I’d hope Allen would be a big contender for the worlds, disappointed with his performance against wilson last year but think he’s come on a bit again this year. Selby I don’t know really and also Ronnie in that bracket, the grind of Sheffield just doesn’t suit him anymore but steve peters might yet work the oracle. Wish it was April already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Not the the first he's done that at all. Nowadays he just hands his second place medal to some random person in the crowd, usually some young kid if he sees one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If O'Sullivan had won, it would have been a joke. He played average snooker all week against average players. Thank God Trump was there to put an end to the farce, and proper battered him without being flawless himself. Imagine Ronnie had won, the tripe that would have been printed, when he's been average at best.

Trump was head and shoulders above everyone all week. Fully deserved.

sligeach wrote: »
    If O'Sullivan had won, it would have been a joke. He played average snooker all week against average players. Thank God Trump was there to put an end to the farce, and proper battered him without being flawless himself. Imagine Ronnie had won, the tripe that would have been printed, when he's been average at best.

Trump was head and shoulders above everyone all week. Fully deserved.

I suppose if ronnie had won he’d have had to play better than judd which would have been sublime so the “tripe” printed would have been a pretty accurate summation. He wasn’t sublime and didn’t win so no tripe will have to be printed. I think that’s about the size of it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Big changing of the guard happening here. I fully expect Trump to dominate for the next few years now. He really has become the complete player this year by employing his brother as his full time training partner.

Some nonsense being spoken in this this thread about today's players not practicing enough. They practice more than any other generation. It's a running joke amongst the pros pretending that they are not really practicing, when they are all putting in 8+ hours a day. Except for Willo :-)

8+ hours per day :-)

Judd spoke on tv the other day about spending 2 hours a day practicing. Guess he is lying about it! Used to practice on his own, presumably spotting balls himself and used work with Lisowski and Wenbo before that. Pretty moderate practice setup imo.

Have been listening to the judds going to dominate for next 5/10/15 years whatever talk for last 5 years or more now. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. Nobody can predict the future and certainly not as far as Judd Trump is concerned. There’s not that many exciting young players scrambling for the top anymore, despite all their diligent 8+ hour days at the grind, so he certainly has every chance. Good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Disappointing to see so many "Ronnie never turned up" posts, here and on twitter.

I thought Judd played excellent, probably the best, most ruthless I've seen him. Ronnie didn't make too many mistakes, Judd gave him nothing all day. Anything Ronnie missed were very hard shots.

Was never too fond of trump for some unknown reason but was delighted for him tonight, the best player all week.

Advertisement