Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

• 30-03-2021 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭

ECM1-120.GIF?30-0

ECM0-120.GIF?30-0

Very cold air coming south on Saturday starting to impact us by Sunday morning.

Snow showers highly likely amid wintry showers and heavy by day. Could be some late season coverings to low levels in places.

Temperatures on Saturday could reach 14 or 15c. Taking a dramatic plunge through Sunday and down to low to mid single figures for the following few days and night time temperatures a few degrees below freezing particularly in the south and east.

Just a touch of inland convective potential this time of year so heavier showers by day.

One to watch.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Ah boll@x my garden won't like that.. hate April cold.
    But thanks for the heads up kermit...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,071 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC predicting -6 Sunday Night/Monday Morning for Dublin, how realistic is that?
    https://www.bbc.com/weather/2964574

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Shirley some mishtake. I wore shorts today. It's summertime lads and frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The gardeners won’t be happy. Just sowed some seeds myself today, a nice frost should ruin any growth.

Miserable rock we live on.

On the plus side, stonking summer to makeup for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

emo72 wrote: »
    Shirley some mishtake. I wore shorts today. It's summertime lads and frogs.

OGC.abdf821e941c7198e439f04b247d0041?pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.tenor.com%2fimages%2fabdf821e941c7198e439f04b247d0041%2ftenor.gif&ehk=mNh55PLAZbPDc5I0M4Nu3eKhe4ingqPw21gd2ZtFVEM%3d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

KungPao wrote: »
    Just sowed some seeds myself today

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Excellent, will kill off any midge and wasps that popped their heads up to early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

BBC predicting -6 Sunday Night/Monday Morning for Dublin, how realistic is that?
    https://www.bbc.com/weather/2964574

About as realistic as the pubs opening next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Was gonna seed the garden this week, I'll wait till next! :D

Kids would love a bit of sneachta over Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

There's nothing worse than cold April onwards. That ship has well and truly sailed. Hopefully this isn't that severe and ****s off sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There's nothing worse than cold April onwards. That ship has well and truly sailed. Hopefully this isn't that severe and ****s off sharpish.

Yep. I enjoy a bit of snow over the winter but at this time of the year it can fúck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah. Anyways it will be moderated as in wont be as bad as it looks now. They never are. Might be -6c somewhere in Ireland though Sunday night if winds ease as air is 100% coming from Arctic regions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Hmmm would be impressive

ozepRGB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

WINTER IS COMING.......:P:P

Some of us are going to get a right Dump of Snow.:D

mFO0n0U.png

yezIbLw.png

mXevLUv.png

cH2ga2t.png

Its nonsense. Winds will shift slightly Northwest at the last minute and it will just be muck. It WILL be bitterly cold though. And Ben Bulben will be nice and white.

Just looked at Sligo weather there and 1 cold day...Monday 3c Sunday 11c at first 4c by evening, Tuesday 6c then 8 to 10c after this. Shouldnt be too bad bar Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

pauldry wrote: »
    Its nonsense. Winds will shift slightly Northwest at the last minute and it will just be muck. It WILL be bitterly cold though. And Ben Bulben will be nice and white.

Temporary NINJA BLIZZARDS in Heavy Showers

XIq6jv5.png

:D:D:D

Just looked at Sligo weather there and 1 cold day...Monday 3c Sunday 11c at first 4c by evening, Tuesday 6c then 8 to 10c after this. Shouldnt be too bad bar Monday.

If 515 decametre is nonsense. At what point would you actually classify a cold spell as decent?

When its 2010 or 2018 like :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Snow is more common at Easter than Christmas, regardless of whether Easter falls in March or up to mid April.

April snow. Off the top of my head from memory given my age, 2nd April 1987, first week of April 1992, early April 1994, 9-11 April 1998, 16th April 1999 in Rathfarnham for the am, early April 2008, and in early April 2010 it hung around much of Highland Leinster after the fall of 30/31 March.

Posts like 'snow in April can fcuk right off' show no knowledge of our climate. It has never done that. Eddie Graham's Dublin Weather diary is excellent on convective potential for snow showers in April.

When its 2010 or 2018 like :p

2010 was warmer at the 850mb level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The GFS usually massively over-estimates snow. Arpege underestimates it. The correct answer I find is usually midway between the two.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    2010 was warmer at the 850mb level

Ill post my snow pics here so since its guarenteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

No doubt a lot of posters will give out about not getting snow, getting cold muck etc.

But that's what these locations generally get in December, January or February. If you're coastal/very lowland, and especially furthur south coastal/very lowland, there's no use saying April didn't delivery as the core winter will only deliver for you with perfect synoptics either.

Ill post my snow pics here so since its guarenteed.

Don’t believe I said snow was guaranteed. It is highly like that most will see at least a snow shower at some point by Tuesday.

Ok Ill take a pic of the snow shower so.

Yes snow can happen any time up to June but who wants snow now unless it buries the Easter Eggs and then it will make for a more challenging Easter Egg hunt.

No doubt a lot of posters will give out about not getting snow, getting cold muck etc.

But that's what these locations generally get in December, January or February. If you're coastal/very lowland, and especially furthur south coastal/very lowland, there's no use saying April didn't delivery as the core winter will only deliver for you with perfect synoptics either.

This cold spell isn’t marginal though. Let’s look at Monday for example:

-10c 850hPa widely over Ulster, -9c elsewhere:
    KP2gEv8.jpg

Freezing level 400 metres or less for most of the island during daylight hours, <300 metres in Ulster:
    Hx6MX8H.jpg

Theta e, widely below 8:
    Otewp5M.jpg

Wet Bulb 0c height is down to the surface across the whole region:gPYns42

Thickness values of 515 decametre/dam, earlier 514:ttuI6Z4.jpg

Could you explain how this is in anyway muck or marginal? This is the best Synoptics you could hope for, for April snow, in fact mid winter this would be good too!

Could you please outline what parameters you think are required to remove marginality entirely? Because even in North America this would be seen as cold, so I am struggling to see why some are saying “possible hill snow” or “wintry mix”. To be honest, I those people would probably say wintry mix with -30c 850’s!!!

Its cold alright. Those areas in the darkest purple would see snow.

Will the charts remain the same or swing it to the East a bit more so we miss most of it?

Its an interesting one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There isn't even a sub zero minimum forecast for here during this upcoming spell. Just a cold, damp sleety wind with miserable temperatures similar to the other 'cold' outbreaks during the winter. Sea temps are excessively warm relative to average between here and the pole, and this will do nothing but moderate any real cold potential from this northerly. Expect many 'warm sectors' to develop as its boot bears down.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There isn't even a sub zero minimum forecast for here during this upcoming spell. Just a cold, damp sleety wind with miserable temperatures similar to the other 'cold' outbreaks during the winter. Sea temps are excessively warm relative to average between here and the pole, and this will do nothing but moderate any real cold potential from this northerly. Expect many 'warm sectors' to develop as its boot bears down.

Don’t you always say that it’ll be a sleety mess. What parameters would satisfy you? -25c 850?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Don’t you always say that
    With good reason:

idtO1eY.png

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement